tackle shop closing, is it worth stocking some odds and sodds?

phil dean

Chesters....there's nothing in the skip, it's all gone into their new store, which I've just had a walk round.

Apparently a shop in South Shields would provide you with an income of £300 to £500 per week if anyone is interested in having a go.

Personally, I'll stick to my own little bits and pieces and look a bit further into selling terminal tackle.

We own a garden center which is always in the hands of the weather, we decided to do floristry on a bigger scale and a coffee shop to get a smoother cash flow. We also do a small range of DIY items as there is nothing in the village.

It all helps to bring in customers so if you have a bit of space, are close to fishing activities give it a spin, it does not have to be a vast outlay.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

we looked into opening a tackle shop in kent ,even then (30+ years ago) unless it was a big shop with a wide range it was too easy to have major items (rods reels etc) simply not sell because they were out of date or fashion. youcould ofcourse buy in a particular rod or reel for a customer but in the end i would prefer a larger shop with a good selection rather than a small one that is no more than a middle man and made his meagre wage selling bait or the odd float etc.

it must be far far worse nowadays if you dont have it in stock to "grab" the customer the customer simply orders it online and probably cheaper :D

its still with everything else position position position and competition theres far more tackle shops that have closed than have opened ,bromley where i grew up had at least 5 in the area i wonder how many survive.

a trip to gerry's of wimbledon 30 years ago certainly made me see that all tackleshops arn't the same

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I may have agreed something which limits our exposure (and reduces our profit of course). The key business is selling newspapers, sweets drinks and cigs, i'd rather lose the profit and have up to date stock in order to retain the footfall.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

Phil have you thought about selling a selection of frozen bait?

Plus hooks, weights, rigs they never date, a few spools of line, like Chester said position is everything if your close to fishing activities it has to be worth a spin.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Thanks for the concern.

We will be selling weights, hooks, line, beeds, mackeral feathers/rigs, a few spinners and line. We will also stock some of the artificial long life baits and a couple of spinning rod and real kits (not crap but not suitable for serious anglers).

MUch as has been said, it will hopefully increase the sales of other items and add some profit to the bottom line. If it doesn't work out i'll sell the lot at a car boot sale.

thanks for your input, it's been much appreciated.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY