What's the best Kayak for me?

scotsgun

OK, so i've badgered enough people by now with questions for you all to know that i'm new to kayak fishing after getting the chance of a cheap Ocean Caper Angler.

However, here's the rub - i'm 5'10", 50 inch chest and weigh approx 18 stone....i regularly play rugby as a prop so very unlikely to get smaler soon :rolleyes: I'm a beginner mind so it seemed huge at the time!

The caper seems fine for pottering around near the shore (which is what i intend to do this first season) fishing for bass, flaties etc.... but a few have advised me to get a more capable yak if venturing further afield.

So, i'll need something that can easily carry my weight and assorted fishing kit, be reasonably fast yet stable.......... what are your recommendations???

Marc

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You're a very bad boy....i'd give you a smack but you'd probably enjoy that! :headhurt:

I could go the prowler route but i fancy the stability of the Malibu X-factor or maybe splash out for the Pelican / Dorado ? I'll need to get it right as i'll have to sell a shotgun or rifle to pay for it...sob sob

You're a very bad boy....i'd give you a smack but you'd probably enjoy that!

you'd need to catch me first and I've never played against a prop capable of that ( scrum half!) :rolleyes:

there all fine yaks you mention , love my prowler but a Dorado would go down nicely but not at £1500 (sorry Simon).

Ok Prowler 13

OK, so i've badgered enough people by now with questions for you all to know that i'm new to kayak fishing after getting the chance of a cheap Ocean Caper Angler.

However, here's the rub - i'm 5'10", 50 inch chest and weigh approx 18 stone....i regularly play rugby as a prop so very unlikely to get smaler soon :rolleyes: I'm a beginner mind so it seemed huge at the time!

The caper seems fine for pottering around near the shore (which is what i intend to do this first season) fishing for bass, flaties etc.... but a few have advised me to get a more capable yak if venturing further afield.

So, i'll need something that can easily carry my weight and assorted fishing kit, be reasonably fast yet stable.......... what are your recommendations???

Marc

Also one of God's chosen, scotsgun, but a mere 16 1/2 stone and 6 foot tall at my playing peak ( nobody else wanted to play tighthead!). Find the Prowler 13 is fine for me but am seriously considering the dorado for bigger seas / longer trips.

Hi Marc

I know the sea conditions are different around the shores of the UK to the Mediterranean where my kayak fishing is based but the Malibu X Factor does, in my opinion, exceed all expectations. I have four at the moment and with large framed blokes, loads of equipment aboard, they are still very stable and dry. I have Crack of Dawn Tsunami paddles and they are suited well to the X Factor. Just my opinion for what it's worth.

cheers

Gary

post-11283-1173718901_thumb.jpg

Gary Smith

Crowle North Lincolnshire UK / Maldives / Puerto De Mazarron Murcia Spain

Gary Smith Fishing

Maldives Fishing Holidays

Fishing 7 Lakes

i have a prowler elite and can highly recommend them, i'm 6ft and 16stone and have had no problems with stabilty and with a weight capacity of 230Kg it should carry you and your gear without much of a problem.

The front hatch cover is also replaceable with the gator hatch, have a look at http://malibukayaks.com/kayak_xFactor.asp and http://www.diverkayaks.com/ where you will find all the accessories. The UK dealer will be able to supply all I am sure. The centre hatch is also massive and perfect for keeping bait boxes and equipment required to hand.

At a steady pace trolling I average 4 kmh according to GPS. It has to be said that I bought these for their fishing attributes not for speed or white water capabilities because to be honest if the Mediterranean is more than force four I do not go out. Safety has to come before anything in my mind.

Gary

Gary Smith

Crowle North Lincolnshire UK / Maldives / Puerto De Mazarron Murcia Spain

Gary Smith Fishing

Maldives Fishing Holidays

Fishing 7 Lakes