Seaford/Cuckmere Haven Report 13.3.07

paintfly

After picking up some dodgy looking rag and sticky lug in Newhaven, drove to Seaford beach to launch at a point I had picked out using the Microsoft Live Search/Virtual Earth site, which is better for the UK coastline than Google Earth imo. Free parking when I got there. :thumbs:

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&...0&alt=-1000

Noticed the HT mark on the shingle was pretty steep and made a mental note that landing might be tricky if any swell picked up. There was a small sheltered beach on the other side of the breakwater, although access to it was not ideal, but even though there was a bit of a dump, I was confident of launching in the small surf directly in front.

Seafordlaunch.jpg

Launched at 1.30, just as the sun came out, intending to paddle round to Cuckmere Haven and fish up to HT at 5.30. I had also plotted a wreck into the GPS, about a mile out, that I found on C-Map, so headed out there first, as I thought I might be less likely to later. As I rounded Seaford Head the cliffs were spectacular, with the 7 Sisters and Beachy Head stretching out in the distance. Trolled a couple of lures, just for the hell of it, and kept finding myself humming “Land of Hope and Glory” while checking the skies for dog fights, as I made the 2 1/2 mile paddle out to the mark at a steady 4 knots.

SeafordHead.jpg

7SistersBeachyHead.jpg

When I got there, I found 2 lads fishing in a rubber dinghy. I asked them if they were over the wreck as I couldn’t see it on the FF. They didn’t have a FF, but said it was close, as they dived it regularly. Apparently, it’s known as “the stone boat” locally, because it went down with a load of cement. Paddled in circles and eventually found it about 100m away from the GPS co-ordinates (the inbuilt error?) Anchored up in 65ft and put out a couple of rods with rag on one and lug t’other. Fishing was slow, but caught a couple of small whiting after about an hour and then another, which was just big enough for supper. Bites gradually increased on the flood with the majority being pout of various sizes

CuckmereHaven.jpg

Cuckmere Haven

Whiting.jpg

Pout7sisters.jpg

Seven Sisters

PoutBeachyHead.jpg

Beachy Head

Bites then increased significantly and with bigger fish around 4pm, although at a guess, nothing more than about 1 ½ lb, with often only enough time to unhook one rod before there were one or two banging away on the other. I thought lug was out fishing rag, for a while, until I realised that in the heat of the action I’d forgotten to bait up on one side leaving the rig and weight just below the surface. :rolleyes: As soon as I hit bottom with rag the fish were at it again. I had circle hooks on one of my 2X paternoster rigs and was very impressed with how they performed; all bar one, fish neatly lip hooked and returned in good nick. Poutcirclehook.jpg

Finally, decided to call it a day around 4.30ish and head back into the sunset. On the way back, I got closer in to the cliffs and was buzzed by kittiwakes coming in low over the water as they returned for the evening roost. Apparently there are peregrines there also.

TowardsSeaford.jpg

Seaford Head

Seafordsunset.jpg

As I suspected, back at launch point, the surf dump and steep beach looked a bit iffy, although I probably would have managed OK if I’d been patient and hung around, as the tide was about to turn, but I was tired and busting 4AP, so headed round to the sheltered beach where I still managed to get broadsided in the last few meters (as usual) and tipped out. But I was ready for it, so didn’t lose anything or get bruised despite being on the wrong side of the yak as a couple more breakers came in. A young chap who had been watching with interest came over and very kindly offered to help me lift the yak up the boulders to the path. I was so grateful, I even let him take the heavy end. :clap: Got chatting to a twitcher, as I derigged, who said the kittiwakes were the largest colony in the South and represented an amazing come back after being down to a couple of breeding pairs about 10 yrs ago. All in all, a cracking day and certainly the best launch I’ve found in the area, so far. Looking forward to fishing closer into the Haven later in the year. Didn’t notice any particularly strong currents around mid-tide. Don’t know what it’ll be like on springs though. Sorry about all the cliff photos, I guess you just had to be there. Hmmm mmmm mmm la-la-la Jer-u-sa-lem...in England’s green and pleasant land... :whistling:

If you want a bit of company on any future trips to that part of the coast , pm me and I'll see if I can make it, I've got quite a few marks around Newhaven up to Shoreham, I've got a few low water marks we could fish , which would help when beaching, cos those beaches do shelve steeply, coupled with the tide nearer the HW mark, that south coast shore break can be a bitch. I fished that area off friends boats a few times but not off a yak, plus I've skippered RIB's for divers on numerous times, and dived it me self all around that area, got a bream mark that I'd love to have a crack at :thumbs:

Having just brought a big game angler and knowing the area well thats one that I plan on fishng latter in the year. The wreck is 'Devon Coast' which sank in 1908 carrying cement from Swanscombe on the Thames near Gravesend to Liverpool. As regards to the mark being @ 100yds out, according to the chart gor the area WGS derived positions need to be moved o.o3 minuites S and 0.09 minuites E to agree with chart positions, though I have no poblem finding it when diving this mark.

NIce one Kev. Certainly beats my Black Goby!! :P Great pics looks like you have found your Warbarrow :D

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

NIce one Kev. Certainly beats my Black Goby!! :P Great pics looks like you have found your Warbarrow :D

Yeah Paul, that's exactly what I thought, quite similar to the Lulworth-Kimmeridge-Warbarrow stretch. You'll have to come over and check it out sometime. :thumbs:

Codshead: I'll let you know next time I'm going. Sounds like there may be others who would be up for fishing the area. More the merrier, especially if anyone knows of specific marks worth targetting. Have you fished in close to the mouth of the Cuckmere? Generally, I would think this might be worth a look for various species, but from the ariel views on Live Search there does seem to be a lot of chalk run off in the water and I was wondering whether this might be less attractive to fish.

clnbak: yeah it wasn't very far away from the co-ordinates I downloaded. I marked the position when I was over it, so should be no probs finding it again.

Codshead: I'll let you know next time I'm going. Sounds like there may be others who would be up for fishing the area. More the merrier, especially if anyone knows of specific marks worth targetting. Have you fished in close to the mouth of the Cuckmere? Generally, I would think this might be worth a look for various species, but from the ariel views on Live Search there does seem to be a lot of chalk run off in the water and I was wondering whether this might be less attractive to fish.

No I've not fished there, mainly off Seaford , Newhaven and the other side of Brighton up to Shoreham, I had a 4lb plaice off Shoreham. My little book tells me local anglers dont rate the mouth of the Cuckmere that highly, but thats only what I've read.