exaggerated sizes...

richjones

Good morning all,

I have spoken to a few anglers around my 2 local ponds since last summer. when asking about the size species in the ponds go to, i have been suprised to be told of pike to 30 pounds, and carp of around the same weight.

now these ponds are both similar in size at about 1.5 acres each. One is a free council owned pond found in a local park.the other is a club owned pond that i know has been stocked with small carp and all large predators have been removed.

at the council pond i regularly see pike of around 15pounds being caught but i was told they go to 30lb, with a 28lb common being caught last year.

at the club owned pond i have seen crucians to over 3lb and the lake has alot of roach around the 1lb mark, but im told theyve been caught to 3lb

im just wary of these claims, as through magazines and forums i have heard that a 3lb roach is as rare as a 35lb carp.

should i beleive that small ponds like these contain such specimens, or am i falling victim to a few fishermens tales??? :unsure:

At a guess, the estimates are way high.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi rich,

You'll always get that, it's part of angling. With some it's bad judgement, others wishful thinking, or a combination of both.

Two instances that come to mind, were on a small pond that used to be near me.

I arrived one morning to see an angler in one of my favorite swims. I asked the usual "any luck?" He said that he'd been smashed at the net by a carp, that was well into double figures. I thought this strange, as there had been a pollution incident a couple of years earlier, and the restocking was with fish to a maximum of around 3lb. Later that day I landed a carp, with a hook and small pole float still attached. It turned out to be his float, and his face was a picture when I weighed the fish at... just over 5lb.

At the same pond, nets of roach to 2lb have been lifted to reveal, no fish over about 12 ozs.

I tend to believe only what my own eyes, or those of a trusted friend tell me now, it's much safer.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

haha thats a great story. i assume the carp do go to about 15lb but probably not much bigger.

however in the club pond i was told by the baliff that becase all larger predators were removed and placed into a seperate smaller pond next to the club pond, only the biggest and strongest silver fish and perch survive in this small pond, and that this is the reason for 2-3 lb roach/perch, only fished for by the most 'in the know' anglers.

keeps me excited i guess...

We've had quite a few discussions on here, about the effects of removing predators from waters. If you use the search facility, you will find them interesting I'm sure. The input from members who know much more about it than I do, will explain a lot.

But, from my way of thinking, (which will no doubt be proved wrong :) ). If the large predators are removed, then it will increase predation on the smaller 'bite size' fish. Which will, (in the short term) cause the average size of the prey fish to increase.

In the pond where the larger predators are put, then few prey fish will be safe from the pike. ( I have weighed chub of over 3lb, that have been taken by pike, and released, while I was playing it).

The best thing to do is keep your eyes and ears open, and spend some time down at the water, without taking your tackle. Just quietly watch the fish, you will soon know for sure what's in there, and where to find them.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Fisheries often claim pike to 30lb. Large pike don't last very long once their presence has been advertised, assuming they were there in the first place.

Once they're gone, the fishery will still claim pike to a certain weight.

Fisheries often claim pike to 30lb. Large pike don't last very long once their presence has been advertised, assuming they were there in the first place.

Once they're gone, the fishery will still claim pike to a certain weight.

Yes, this does seem to happen a lot. The fact that there was once a pike (more than likely a very well known pike!) which weighted over 30lb appears to give fishery/club owners the right to say 'Pike to over 30lb' - even if that fish died 15 years ago!

I'd be most wary of the roach and pike claims personally.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music