Arbroath Comp on Sunday

Norrie

Hiya, There's a few of us fishing on Sunday and staying on Saturday, anyone else staying in Arbroath on Sat. Mibeez a pint or two ??????? :D

To be honest, we need all the help we can get...... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Hi Boatman, Welcome to AN, and thanks for your reply, very much appreciated, but one thing, where is Rumness, I know Usan and the likes, but thats a new one to me. Would it be possible to mail me the directions.....once again, thanks. :D

Theocritis..

Norrie

Arbroath is fishing poorly at the moment, due mainly to three weeks of perpetual southerly and south westerly winds. The best catches have without doubt come in darkness. I had 8 cod to 5lb and numerous sizeable coalies from a mark at Ethie last Thursday, while Stuart Cresswell had a bag of 6 cod to 6lb from the bay to the left of Rum Ness just a couple of days earlier.

You have an improved chance of catching in daylight this coming weekend given the better tides, and it might not be a bad idea to drop down in hook size in order to capitalise on any coalies. Most consistent bait for me has been lug tipped with frozen crab or mussel (remember those coalies). Stuart however, has done well on straight lug and lug squid.

In complete contrast to the norm, most sizeable fish are being caught at distance…with 35lb main line, this basically equates to as far as you can sling it without breaking your neck!!! Fingerling codling and undersize coalies have been a problem of late; moreso at close range in the current calm conditions.

I would suggest that Rum Ness is a gamble without any hint of the required onshore stirring and would point you in the direction of the ‘Steppers’ at the northern end of Arbroath cliffs for the chance of a couple of decent fish, or ‘Wrasse Bay high rocks’ with a bag of smaller fish in mind.

• My advice would be not to use hooks larger 3/0 – I use the Kamasan B950U for lots of reasons, one of which is that the gauge is slightly smaller than the norm…a 3/0 probably amounts to nearer a 2-and-a-half/0 in wider comparative terms.

• Take good quality lug, crab and mussel…kill for it if you have to!

• Cast as far as possible if immediately pestered by small fish close in.

• Don’t turn your nose up at the presence of measurable coalies. In fact pack some two hook rigs (1 up/1 down) with long snoods, 1/0 hooks and detachable rotten-bottoms for the purpose of hunting them out if things get desperate. It's worth noting that some of the marks along the cliff are less snaggy than those stretching north from Castlesea and Maw Skelly Bays.

Hope this info is of some assistance wee man.

Steve

In Nomine Satanas

Hi Diabolos/Steve, At long last you are on AN, Thanks for your input, it is very much appreciated. I'm glad to hear you had a "decent" catch and that Stuart did as well. I will certainly take and use your advice on Sunday, I'm off up to GAC on Sat to get the hooks you recommend. I/we have the bait all sorted , in fact the mussels came from Davy Holts mooring rope that we cleaned up at the end of last year. I've also got some Hermit,what d'you reckon to them from the beach??? Are they worth a try?? I certainly wouldnt sniff at measurable coalies as they will help stock the bait freezer for the Skate. Again, thanks for your reply.

All the best.

Norrie.

PS whats with the Latin signature, is it to protect you against bad fishing... :D

Theocritis..

Glad to be of some help Norrie. And, I’ve been lurking about in the Net ether for several years.

Given the choice I’d reach for frozen edible peeler or good old common shore peelers first at this time of year, but good quality hermits can do well. Bind a good-sized hermit sack in with a couple of mussels to produce a pungent, compact bait.

Skate fishing?! Haven’t you got those docile lumps out of your system yet? Oops, better not push my luck as I don’t to upset my mate Davy ‘the world knows it's Sunart’ Holt.

And the signature? Well, it’s to give those who think I’m the devil something to ponder over. Glad your on top of your Latin.

Hope you do well @ the weekend

Steve

In Nomine Satanas

Hiya,

well thats me and my pets getting it again

Oi Stevie .. you not been out chasing these escapee Halibut yet, there seems to be a few about just now ????

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

http://www.go-fishing.org/upload/files/Mountainclimbing.bmp

Hiya, Well, that was that then eh! Had some fantastic advice, both from Steve and from Willie and Jake,(the organisers) and when I saw Alan Combe was going to fish near where we were going ,I thought Yipppppeeeeee.Cant lose eh!!!!Unfortunately the weather was fantastic, flat calm and not a cloud in the sky.Totally not fishing weather...We fished our hearts out, had all the baits, Big Jim broke his back getting really good lug while I supervised, well I did drive us up to the bait grounds.Peeler crab and everything....Ragworm to die for....Not a bleedin bite did we have...But the scenery was superb,We came down that hill on our backside in a couple of minute,it took me nearly an hour to get back up it :( I met some cracking guys, namely Willie and Jake...and thoroughly enjoyed myself. It was a great comp, tho' I dont have the results. It was however a great experience.

someone once said " I shall return", so will I. :D

Thanks Steve ,Willie and Jake, oh and Big Jim for digging the Lug.

Theocritis..

Hiya, Yes I know the two guys who were first and second were fishing about 50feet from us. If I remember rightly the heaviest fish was caught near the death. :)

Theocritis..