Marker Float and Feature Finding

Polly

Hi all,

doing all the right things (I hope) and thought set up was right but been having problems with float not rising. Originally assumed it was weeded but now think it could've been the braid twisting round the swivel and holding the float down. I use floating braid (fox) straight through to the float swivel and a large diameter nylon ring attached to the lead which should allow easy & smooth flow of braid as float rises through the water . The float I use is the large (very) orange MCF one which is extremely bouyant. I've tried various styles of lead from 2 to 5oz. Sometimes the float will rise, sometimes not, which is why I've been blaming the weed but now I think about it , braid is prone to twist and on more than one occasion I've wound in to find my float "locked" in situ by the twisted braid. Could it be that I need to incorporate a mono leader, silmilar to or the same as the shock leader I use with my spod rod set up to stop this happening????? I figured mono would not twist up and as shock leaders are quite heavy would be stiff enough to remain straight and allow float to pass allong it. Any thoughts guys?????

One good reason to do something is better than a thousand bad excuses not to.

Braid won`t flow through the swivel as well as mono so I always use a 20-30ft mono leader (25lb amnesia) when using a marker float.

Heres a pic of what I use for a marker float set up:

post-903-1174668161_thumb.jpg

I use run rings because they`re less prone to clogging up with debris from the bottom.

The quicksilver between the lead and run ring also help to keep debris away from the run ring.

I have no clue about using a marker but isn't using a mono leader defeating the object of using braid? Presumably you use braid because it gives better indication than mono and so using a mono leader is going to reduce that isn't it?

With my silken line and delicate hook,i wander in a myriad of ripples and find freedom!

I have no clue about using a marker but isn't using a mono leader defeating the object of using braid? Presumably you use braid because it gives better indication than mono and so using a mono leader is going to reduce that isn't it?

The simple answer is no. Not only is heavy mono less stretchy but you will only use 20 odd foot of line (it needs to be a couple of foot deeper than the lake you're fishing or at least 2 rod lengths - whichever is greater).

I was gonna say I only use mono but just remembered I have braid on my main marker rod :doh:. I have had no problems even with smallish markers in weed. I use just large metal swivels as the 'rung ring' but I also have a rubber buffer bead between the lead and the swivel.

Rob.

Is the braid cutting into the run ring making a groove? i had the same problem with the float not rising but soon fixed it by using a metal run ring (swivel)

Nope!!! check at weekend and ring looks intact.........

The only other thing I can think of is the braid itself. I use the Hutchy sabrebraid I think it's called in 22lb but it's been on the rod for at least 6-8 years. I only use that marker reasonably close in, prefering mono at range because it behaves better.

Rob.

The only other thing I can think of is the braid itself. I use the Hutchy sabrebraid I think it's called in 22lb but it's been on the rod for at least 6-8 years. I only use that marker reasonably close in, prefering mono at range because it behaves better.

Rob.

Most of my fishing done at 45-50 yards max !!!!!

The braid I'm using is supposedly (according to Fox) designed for marker float work. I need to think this through and use sime initiative I think. Sure it's something very simple that needs tweaking.

i also use the fox braid and float......i used to ave the same problem but got put onto a special ceramic ring fox do witch comes in a kit for marker work....it aint cheap bout 8quid but you only buy it once.....its basicly like a quality ring like the eyes in rods designed to be used with braid.........float pops up every time even at ranges up to 130 yards even in thick weed......think nash do a similar kit....i also use a large cork ball under the float instead of a buffer bead can only help!!!!!!