barbed or barbless hooks

dapper64

I lost quite a few fish when I first went on to barbless hooks (must be a good 20+ years) but you soon get used to using them, you must stay in contact with the fish all the time, any slack line and he's gone.......I couldn't go back to barbed hooks now, No way, the ease of unhookng is worth it, particularly with Perch

Edited by Team Man

Alan

I must be doing something right, I'm still alive

I use a single semi barbed treble for most of my piking (barbed one goes into bait)....can still get barbed end in fish though when using soft baits like sardine & smelt as the hook pulls clear easily.

I use barbless hooks for most of my fishing, except for perch.

Rich

I lost quite a few fish when I first went on to barbless hooks (must be a good 20+ years) but you soon get used to using them, you must stay in contact with the fish all the time, any slack line and he's gone.......I couldn't go back to barbed hooks now, No way, the ease of unhookng is worth it, particularly with Perch
It's because of the silly wee hooks that you English anglers use for fishing. When I was a nipper I used to fish for perch on loch lomond when the trout were not biting. Not knowing any better I just used the same size 6 or 8 barbed hooks that I used for trout. When I moved down to england later in life I could'nt believe the daft wee dolls house hooks (like size 14 and even smaller) that they sold in tackle shops. Having said that, these days I only fish for thick lipped grey mullet with barbless hooks. Never go down to anything smaller than a size 10 though.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Ahh, the old barbed/barbless hook debate again. It must be the close season :rolleyes:

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Ahh, the old barbed/barbless hook debate again. It must be the close season :rolleyes:

:lol:

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I only use barbed for worms - otherwise I'm worried they'll wriggle off the hook!

That is the one drawback with the barbless hook....... But, I think the only one, in my opinion

PS

Talking to a tackle dealer the other day about this very subject he reckoned that the barbless was responsible for most of the lip damage today, I couldn't quite see his theory.

Edited by Team Man

Alan

I must be doing something right, I'm still alive