tips on fishig for carp at night?

ciaran

has any one got any tips on night fishing for carp???? :thumbs:

Take several torches, but not one of those that has a beam like a car headlight.

If possible, try to land any fish without using it, then when you unhook the fish, keep the beam pointed well down and away from other people.

Take more warm clothes or covers than you think you will need.

Make a check list of things you will need to refer to before you go. In the past I have somehow forgotten my buzzer bars (complete with buzzers) and the bag of bivvy pegs.

Don't ever do what I did years ago - sleep on the ground using a crusty loaf as a pillow.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Go to a venue you are familiar with.

Make sure you have everything to hand before it gets dark.

Make sure you will be warm enough, might sound daft but clear nights get cold.

Go with a mate at first.

Dont watch the Blair Witch Project the night before. :)

I always use a petzl 3 led headlamp...it is small enough to keep in my tracksuit bottoms pocket..when i get a take in the middle of the night i know exactly where it is!! No fumbling and groping around in the bivvy in the middle of the night for me since i started doing it!! The beam is strong enough to land a fish in the dark but not so bright that you disturb oher anglers..It has a slight downturn angle on the forehead which is a plus for unhooking and rebaiting ect... Thats my 2pence worth....hope it helps :thumbs:

Heres one, boil up a kettle of water and put it in a thermos flask, in the morning you will have very warm to hot water, easy to boil or use for morning coffee or tea.

STC :thumbs:

It was the fish i tell you, they were talking to me !!!

yer one simple one is to wrap up warm and wear those gloves that just show your fingers there very handy

also try 2 het loads of sleep before you go becasue if your tired you lose focus and could lose bites

just like smalltincarp said take a lovley hot flask it feels so nice after drinking it :P

mike finlay

mike finlay the carpinator

If, like me, you take a few seconds to get your bearings once the alarm goes off, you will take great care to plan your fishing area. Have a clear run to the rods, nothing to trip over and the bivvy door unzipped. Landing net where you can reach it easily once the rod has been picked up and unhooking mat,scales,sling,antiseptic and forceps all layed out where they can be found without delay. Camera easily accessible and spare torch kept near rods.

In the last few years I have taken to leaving a candlelamp alight by the mat and shielded from the lake by a strategically placed bait box - that is after tripping over my pod and finishing up in 6ft of water on a particularily dark night. Believe me, as you get older your night vision takes longer to kick in so any little help is invaluable. :unsure:

the one tip i would give you is in summer use a mozzy net gnats are a bugger. i bought one of them gnat repellant candels last summer and it saved me a whole load of scartching and uncompfortable evenings