British apply "ridicule" tactic

DavyR

Probably a carefully planned event by the Iranians, so they(the ones in power) can boast to their people about how tough they are.

Captives won't be harmed, just held and maybe displayed for publicity and ego, and then released in a gesture of "magnamity"

All part of a different culture, one we westerners have dificulty comprehending.

As an addition to this topic, I note the number of posters who "slag" off both Bush and Blair for the continuing trouble in Iraq.

My question is "How do you deal/reason/understand/govern a person who puts a bomb in his car, a couple of little kids on the back seat, and drives through a security check, and then proceeds to blow himself and the kids and any one else within range to bits"

Can anyones life be so bad that they resort to that?

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

My question is "How do you deal/reason/understand/govern a person who puts a bomb in his car, a couple of little kids on the back seat, and drives through a security check, and then proceeds to blow himself and the kids and any one else within range to bits"

Can anyones life be so bad that they resort to that?

Den

Obviously, some people think it is Den. It's a different culture, with different beliefs, and different views on life. That's why I don't think we should be forcing our version of 'democracy' on them.

If the people them selves want it to change, then eventually they will, one way or another.

We have situations here, where parents kill themselves and their kids because 'they can't go on living like this'. It's hard to understand what the thinking behind it is, because we don't think the same way.

It seems that the 'ridicule' and 'posturing', has swung the other way now. With the Iranians saying, If Britain admits that we were in the wrong, then the personnel will be released. (It's a bit like Wimbledon).

I am amazed with the posts saying that the Navy 'top brass' wouldn't lie. Of course they would, either because they were told to, or to cover their own backsides.

I have had reports through family members in the Navy, of cover ups in the past. Ships running aground, in places they shouldn't have been, of ships engines breaking down through lack of parts. The feedback I get is of a much lower moral among the armed forces, than the 'top brass' would like to admit.

Didn't we (to the surprise, and amusement of the people sunbathing there) 'invade' the wrong beach during exercises, a few years ago?

The rest who think that the 'might' of the west will fall on them, if they harm the military personnel. Well, we are stretched with Iraq, Afghanistan etc, so, going into Iran (who has a large, well equipped, defence force of several million, and would be on their own ground), would stretch our forces to a point, that any country with a grievance with the west, (and there is no shortage of them), could pick the the time to 'attack' where they please.

Then 'hold on to your hats people', 'cos WW3 could be on the cards.

We wouldn't have to worry about global warming though.

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Hi Newt

I don't agree with any of the previous post apart from trying the diplomatic avenue to get them back alive.

Why people should think the Navy Commander is lying about positions is beyond me, especially when the Iranians have done the same thing before.

Taken from the BBC editorial:

However the Iranian officer, while holding up the GPS, did not give any coordinates. He did show a map which had a line on it displaying the maritime boundary, so it appears that Iran does recognise that such a line exists.

And the end result should be repatriation of the personnel NOW!!!!

And Gozzer, lets face it I've certainly been a part of lies and DAMN lies haven't you??

Edited by Chris Goddard

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Guest Rabbit

Whether or not the vessel was in Iraqi or Iranian waters matters not. The fact is the boat has International Sovereign Rights, as every ship or vessel does. To hijack any foreign vessel and crew is in seious breach of maritime and International Laws. The UN should stop pussy footing around and condemn the Iraqis.

After all it was there carrying out the United Nations undertaking to 'police' these waters.

I agree Rabbit BUT technically as the crew were as I understand it aboard the OTHER vessel that would not apply?

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Guest Rabbit
I agree Rabbit BUT technically as the crew were as I understand it aboard the OTHER vessel that would not apply?

OK, good point... but the fact they were PROBABLY in Iraqi waters and definately undertaking UN duties, should have triggered a more positive response from the UN, never had ant faith in the latter anyway, far too lilly livered to make the tough calls.

Edited by Rabbit