winter clothing

macky

Goretex is a very high tech fabric so I'll stick with a high tech wash. Dang it, I'll go all the way and lash out another £5.99 to cover me for the next five years. If I'm being ripped off, for .328038p a day I don't think I care :D

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to be honest i've given up with goretex for most things...the only thing i think it's in anymore is my ski wear, mostly just for the breath ability...the snow isnt that wet unless you spend all day immersed in slush.

the reason i gave up with it is because no matter what it says it isnt 100% waterproof...the designs have got better to prevent bunching and pressure points where it normally fails but having worn the stuff in all sorts from banging down the m3 on a bike during winter to walking helvelyn in winter it just doesnt stand up as well at a cheap but strong £15 waterproof smock from millets etc.

If it gets waterlogged it loses its waterproofing ability, if it gets bunched (under rucksack straps) or tightened (elbows in wind) it will absorb water, it also relies on heat from the inside, so if you get cold, or its too far away from your body because of too many layers etc it falls over as well actually absorbing water from the outside if the temp is higher or the wind blows it. Its also buggered up by oil, dirt etc...it needs to be clean to work.

For me layers are the way, tshirt, fleece, windproof/warm outer, and if it rains plastic. Plastic is cheap, hardwearing and you dont have to clean it to keep it working. Plastic is also windproof and insulating.

I've yet to find anything that works as well as its sold in the shop, microfleeces and wicking jackets all seem to talk the talk but nothing does the job like the equivalent of a tailored plastic bag in my experience.

Lets face it, if your getting sweaty standing around then you have too much on. I think the only time it would come in handy is if you really need to breathe when out on a mountain bike or on a run.

Smocks with hoods are the most warm shape, so if you wanna stay cosy go for those. They also tend to have big pockets on the front as well. A bit of a bugger to take on and off though.

Gonefishing, I disagree totally with you on this.

I use Goretex for hillwalking/climbing/skiing and I agree, as do its manufacturers, that it has its limitations and under certain circumstances it will either not work at all or actually work backwards. However, most of the time this is just a case of common sense and proper care, like the fact it does need to be clean so you wash it. You should also regulate the heat and humidity inside by changing your layers to suit your activity level and the weather conditions.

Of course if it is buched up under a rucksack etc it will not breathe but at least when you stop and take the pack off you can dry out pretty quickly without taking off your jacket. I started in the hills before goretex came along and in those days I really only wore 'plastic' waterproofs as a windstop because my outer layers got so wet inside them anyway and you could only dry out by getting out of the rain. Once you got wet you stayed wet!

Goretex is the best thing since sliced bread in my opinion, but I admit its not as good as a crusty loaf and a sharp knife!

As to washing it, pure soap works just as good as the 'fancy' stuff to clean it but the extra benefit comes using a treatment that helps the fabric 'shed' water. It does nothing at all to the goretex membrane but means the rain runs off the fabric shell easier removing any standing water and allowing it to breathe. That takes care of your 'waterlogged' problem.

If my budget would stretch I would love to use a heavyweight goretex for fishing, although it would take a lot of regular cleaning, as it would make a big difference to the walk in and out to marks. However my Penn suit copes with of 8hrs of standing around praying for a bite and the foam is a great insulator!

fair enough salar, apologies if it sounded like i was being a bit grumpy in that last post! it just seems to me if you've paid a lot for a decent jacket you shouldnt continue to have to pay over the odds everytime you want to clean it. i'll stick with my handwash liquid, you use your posh stuff, and next time we get caught in a monsoon hopefully we'll both be dry!

jeepster:

fair enough salar, apologies if it sounded like i was being a bit grumpy in that last post!

It did a bit but no worries, I can take it! Hopefuly as you say we'll all stay dry. One time I fished in Ireland my gear was wet through and did not dry enough between days, which was why I looked into the care of Goretex and found out why it was leaking. Next trip I cleaned it thoroughly first and also took a second set (Ron Thompson this time), both stood up to the lashing Irish rain really well.

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

i dunno spanner, perhaps i've just got used to plastic...when i wear it i stay dry no matter what, when i wear goretex thats not guaranteed...i've tried it again and again to see if its got better, been all around the houses (i even get the clobber free) but it still seeps and being fabric wrapped seems to hold water (ie needs drying)...for the money i stay dry with plastic and have more to spend on other stuff

of course it does help if the garment is designed right, even if its plastic and its designed wrong or badly fits you'll get wet.

your right, layers are the way. Personally i dont wear waterproofs unless its raining or its a nasty winter northerly. I think gortex works well under certain conditions, but i'm not so sure that its being sold that way. There seems to be a lot of emphasis these days on miracle wonder clothing, when good old gear comes quite close or sometimes better for 1/4 of the price.

Waterproof gear is a bit like windproof gear...is it possible for either to pass the fabric? yes? then its not proof and it will find a way

Pretty much any 'waterproof' fabric will be a tight enough weave, or coated weave, to be windproof just as long as it is a suitable design. A waterproof cycling cape is about as windproof as a string vest! After that it really depends on what you are going to be doing. Standing on rock mark in the middle of a winter night with a good north easterly and my floatation suit does great, but I wouldn't wear that for skiing!

Some of the best stuff for summer or 3 season wear are rip-stop nylon covered fleeces. Windproof, warm, somewhat showerproof as the nylon is usually coated to shed water and the layering effect of the fleece means you stay pretty dry even if the outside gets wet, and as it is not totally waterproof you can dry out quickly after. Not up to the soaking of a torential downpour, or horizontal rain, but great for a summer shower. I think the goretex covered ones are better still, at a price, though some might disagree......

Guest jay_con

i want something for winter, the fourth season.

windproof, waterproof, warm and definately not heavy like a flotation jacket.