Guess The Weight Of The Pike

Elton

Guest tigger
Totally pointless guessing as anyone who has caught a few pike from different types of water will know that head size is no indication of total body size.

I had the same thought. Some have big heads / little boddies and some the total opposite.

Guest tigger
A mate just sent me this - he has no idea what this pike might have weighed when alive, but would be interested to hear your ideas:

post-2-1175691350_thumb.jpg

I deffo wouldn't like to get bitten off that monster............of course I mean the Woman! God knows what Bacteria she's got lurking on her teeth, probably the same as the Commodo Dragon's have on theirs ! :unsure:

Its got a big mouth so it must be an Essex fish, Ardleigh perhaps? That being the case, Budgie, mid twenty when complete and healthy?

Like I said Peter I wouldnt like to guess! Ive had Broads fish of only 17-18lb with bigger heads and wasted ,long bodies and trout res fish of nearly 40lb with heads of a similar size! But as you said giving an "average" guess for a good conditioned fish mid 20's would seem sensible.

Another point that may be of interest to some is that on most of the trout res's Ive fished you often see both small and big headed pike in the same water.

Shame I cant put a picture up at the moment as Ive got a good photo of a possibly one time 30+ fish from the River Rother with a head like a dog but body of an eel that only weighed 17lb. Also got a photo of a trout res 37lbr that has a head not much bigger than a low double.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!