New Flat Roof Advice

Lid

I need to redo the flat roof on our extension. It's about 5 m by 3m and is currently covered with roofing felt and reflective stone chippings which is about 23 years old. It has coping stones along the two shorter sides and the roof is now getting a bit ropey and has started to leak a little.

There seems to be several options to replace or repair it these days , eg :

Remove all the old felt and replace it with :

New standard felt roof (3 layers) - guaranteed for 10 years, lasts about 20 yrs - costs around £1000.

New EPDM rubber (1 layer) - glued directly to the boards, guaranteed 20 years lasts 40 - 50 yrs (apparently) - cost not known yet, but probably about £1500.

OR

Remove chippings from existing roof, smooth down old felt surface and then cover it with some kind of roof sheeting which is then hot torched in place. Apparently this lasts about 20+ years and will be the cheapest option because they don't remove the old felt, nor have to take off the coping stones.

I'm sure some AN members must have been through this, so what do you recommend I do please?

Edited by Lid

get a fiberglass one ,we had 13 (yep 13)at are old house and they were a nightmare,the company with a "20 year gaurantee" strangely folded when contacted .

my old boss had a couple of flat roofs and had them done in fiberglass ,more expensive but any fool can fix them from bits from halfords ,he had his roofs slightly raised at one end so water would run off ;)

we tried repairing some ourselves with another layer of tar ,not successfull ,we tried laying another layer of felt then retarring not successfull .

ours was doomed from the begining! when the original felt was removed it was planks underneath which ofcourse could move and split the felt.

nasty ,cold and expensive way to stop rain.

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I had to have the flat roof on my garage replaced a couple of years ago. The garage is attached to the house and the roof also covers a utility room that was built on. So it it had to be done. But I made sure that this time there was a slope on it leading to a gutter to aid with water run off. Hopefully this way it might last a bit longer.

To be honest once flat roofs start to leak there is nothing much you can do apart from renew them. Like Chesters I tried most things. But it was just a waste of time. Patch it in one place and it would either seep in through the repair or leak somewhere else. I have to admit though I have never heard of fiberglass roofs before or I would have considered that.

A Hammond

I think you might have to be a bit careful that what you do can be described as "repair" otherwise you might end up having to do it to the 2006 Building Regs and their ludicrous insulation requirements. Better ask someone in the business. (Obviously the last people you want to ask are the council!!)

I need to redo the flat roof on our extension. It's about 5 m by 3m and is currently covered with roofing felt and reflective stone chippings which is about 23 years old. It has coping stones along the two shorter sides and the roof is now getting a bit ropey and has started to leak a little.

There seems to be several options to replace or repair it these days , eg :

Remove all the old felt and replace it with :

New standard felt roof (3 layers) - guaranteed for 10 years, lasts about 20 yrs - costs around £1000.

New EDPM rubber (1 layer) - glued directly to the boards, guaranteed 20 years lasts 40 - 50 yrs (apparently) - cost not known yet, but probably about £1500.

OR

Remove chippings from existing roof, smooth down old felt surface and then cover it with some kind of roof sheeting which is then hot torched in place. Apparently this lasts about 20+ years and will be the cheapest option because they don't remove the old felt, nor have to take off the coping stones.

I'm sure some AN members must have been through this, so what do you recommend I do please?

You have had a good extended lifespan with regards to your existing felt. If on removel of the felt the actuall decking is not affected, rotted. Then the current two layer torch on method will give you the same life span. The felt or coverings today are excellant, you can even tow a car with them as they are so strong. The first layer is a sheathing layer that takes up movement within the roof structure and the second layer is the waterproffing one.The best kind of deck for felting is either ply board or rough sawn planking. If it was origionaly constructed out of chipboard, check to see if it has been affected by water as it is prone to swell. This is classed by the local authority as a repair so it should not attract the attention of a building notice from the local authority. It would not cause you any problem if you contact them for advise in any event as you do not need to give them your full detail, just ask for thier opinion, they are there to help you.

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Fibreglass it, then forget it as long as it is done right. I did one which took 156 eight by four ply sheets to cover the roof so it was pretty big, that was 12 years ago, no leaks so far. Materials for a roof of your size should cost no more than £300 to £400

got to say i agree with chesters.....i worked on roofs for a long time and the "glass" roof is by far the best. The guarantees lasts as long as the firm that does the job does, so dont be fooled by that.

Most if not all new buildings use grp fiberglass somewhere on the roofs these days.

Yes its expensive but the best.

Never test the depth of water with both feet.

Stuff work go fishing.

Thanks for the replies. I can't seem to find a local fibreglass roof fitter, although a couple of the ones that come up on a search say they do any area! One of the EPDM companies offers an insurance backed guarantee.

Edited by Lid

Why not do it yourself, if you can paint a wall you can fibreglass a roof. There is nothing difficult or technical about it. If you want to DIY I will be happy to talk you through it.

Thanks for the offer, but it's lack of time that stops me doing it myself. I've just had Avenir Roofing around for a quote for EPDM and it looks very good. I haven't had a confirmed price, but it's looking like about £1000. Any thoughts on using this material please?

Edited by Lid