Major sewage spill in Firth of Forth

Ticketty Boo!

from BBC;

Warning over 'major' sewage spill

People using the waterfront are urged to take precautions

The public has been warned to avoid contact with water in the Firth of Forth after a "major" sewage spill.

Pumping equipment at the Seafield Wastewater Treatment Plant in Leith failed at 1630 BST on Friday.

A spokeswoman for Thames Water, which runs the plant, said 1,000 litres a second of partially diluted untreated sewage had been pumping into the Forth.

The Scottish Environmental Protection Agency (Sepa) said: "It's a major problem requiring a major solution."

A spokesman said emergency measures to "minimize the risk of pollution" were being put in place.

He added: "Everything that needs to be done is being done."

We urge people to ensure they maintain high standards of personal hygiene and do not take anything home from the beach until sewage has dispersed

Ewan Aitken

Edinburgh Council leader

Engineering works were expected to continue throughout the weekend.

Thames Water said it had not shut the plant down as it deals with most of the capital's waste - from about 800,000 people.

Environmental health officers with Edinburgh City Council advised anyone who uses waterfront recreational areas to avoid contact with the water.

The council said it was very concerned about the incident.

Council leader Ewan Aitken said: "We urge people to ensure they maintain high standards of personal hygiene and do not take anything home from the beach until sewage has dispersed."

The council has put up warning notices along the shore in areas which may potentially be affected to warn residents and visitors.

Concerned locals are being advised to contact the environmental health service.

from BBC;

Pumping equipment at the Seafield Wastewater Treatment Plant in Leith failed at 1630 BST on Friday.

A spokeswoman for Thames Water, which runs the plant, said 1,000 litres a second of partially diluted untreated sewage had been pumping into the Forth.

Sounds like a restocking of a species not seen in a long time is taking place. Thames trout. :yucky:

I think the share holders of the company aught to be up there with thier sleves rolled up and the bank balances open to do what they can to sort out the problem. It appears that there was no backup system in place?

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Sounds like a restocking of a species not seen in a long time is taking place. Thames trout. :yucky:

I think the share holders of the company aught to be up there with thier sleves rolled up and the bank balances open to do what they can to sort out the problem. It appears that there was no backup system in place?

:clap2: I used to fish there years ago and it was commom to catch tampons and condoms but we couldn't weigh them as they were "unclassified." Will Thames Water get a massive fine for pollution and will they have to compensate anglers and other users of the water for their loss of amenity, of course not. I expect that family members of ********** will get jobs with the company though. That's what happens down south. :schmoll:

I live in Harwich, North Essex, and for years + years, I have watched raw sewage pumped into the sea here. I cannot say how it is now as I have not been around the area its pumped for a fair while now, but I remember back in the late 90's digging rag worm near the out fall. The sewage pipe had split and was spraying it all in a massive arc. To say it stunk like hell would be the understatement of the week! The water authority were not exactly fast in curing the problem either. Swearing blind that the stuff being pumped out was only done so on the ebb tide and was virtually harmless to marine life etc. The fact that anyone could fish from the stone pier at almost any state of tide and be virtually guaranteed their terminal tackle was coated with used sanitary towels etc was neither here nor there. Neither was the fact that you could follow the "slick" upriver for a good mile or so on the incoming tide.

I fail to see why or how such escapes of effluent happen. Surely if the water companies ploughed in some of their vast profits into making their pumping stations more secure and preferably further from a water course, then such "spillages"would have less chance of reaching rivers?!?!?

Andy

To find eternal happiness, live life like a dog!

looks like the best bait at portobello beach for the flatties will be sweetcorn for a while :thumbs::yucky:

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the center of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

WalkingPinhead.gif

B)-->

QUOTE(Norm B @ Apr 22 2007, 11:10 AM)
:clap2: I used to fish there years ago and it was commom to catch tampons and condoms but we couldn't weigh them as they were "unclassified." Will Thames Water get a massive fine for pollution and will they have to compensate anglers and other users of the water for their loss of amenity, of course not. I expect that family members of ********** will get jobs with the company though. That's what happens down south. :schmoll:

They probably will get fined, Norm. Yorkshire Water recently did:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/News/yorkshire_water_fined.html

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Norm B @ Apr 22 2007, 11:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->:clap2: I used to fish there years ago and it was commom to catch tampons and condoms but we couldn't weigh them as they were "unclassified." Will Thames Water get a massive fine for pollution and will they have to compensate anglers and other users of the water for their loss of amenity, of course not. I expect that family members of ********** will get jobs with the company though. That's what happens down south. :schmoll:

They probably will get fined, Norm. Yorkshire Water recently did:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/News/yorkshire_water_fined.html

:clap2: Yes they probably will but it will be a token gesture, probably less than 1% of their years profits. :schmoll: