Gentle Yakking St. Ives area in May.

izzetafox

I shall be spending a week with the family at Hayle, nr. St Ives at the end of May.

Most of my time will be spent with them but I hope to snatch some time on the water in the evening. I have spent a lot of hours on lakes, rivers and canals on my Tobago but by then hope to have a Prowler and want to christen it. :rolleyes: .

Any tips on where to try for some gentle fun and the chance of wetting a line?

I will only be looking at going a few hundred yards out for these first few trips and will hopefully get more adventurous in July when I venture over to the Lleyn Peninsular.

Any advice would be readilly received.

Kayak Angler

Prowler 13

http://coarsekayakfishing.proboards.com/index.cgi

ckf-1.png

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I was travelling to St Ives I met a man with seven wives kayaks

and each wife kayak had a rod

and each rod had a reel

and ........

OK so I'm bored, have a nice time :clap2:

Edited by YakDiver

Lat/Long :- N50°58.366 W001°26.468

I must go down to the sea again

To the lonely sea and sky

I left my shoes and socks there

I wonder if they're dry?

TOO! (if we're going to get pedantic about spelling mistakes on this forum)

Good Job its Tai Chi you teach Kev :rolleyes:

I reckon it's his new Italian girlfriends latin temperament rubbing off on him! :D hope I've spelt it right :headhurt:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

....and the recommended venues are...... :wallbash:

Yeah, sorry about the thread hi-jack.

Actually, I think Hayle beach will be about your best option, as I've found getting a yak to the water to be surprisingly difficult on the Land's End Peninsula i.e St Ives round to Penzance. Also, the waters on the N. Cornwall coast are not to be taken lightly. St Ives Bay probably offers the most sheltered options and the best chance of finding a suitable launch, although I have to confess I haven't yakked around there. But Hayle beach is massive and a good spot to install the family while you go off for a bit. The South side is more benign, depends how far you're prepared to travel though. My favourite and the most convenient launch I've found is Porthgwarra on the Southern tip just past Land's End. Turn left and you've got a fantastic stretch which takes you underneath the Minnack Theatre, past Porthcurno Beach and Logan Rock - great for mackeral, bass and pollack. It would probably be best part of an hour in the car from St. Ives though, so maybe an alternative for a day trip. You could install the family on Porthcurno (v. family friendly beach)and then paddle round from Porthgwarra and join them for lunch. Another easy launch with a slipway is Lamorna Cove near Mousehole. Also, Sennen Cove, but it has a good surf break, so can be tricky. Cape Cornwall - loadsa steps and you've really got to be launching in v. calm conditions, preferably neaps, to get back in safely. That's about it. Around Penzance, you can launch from Maraizon fairly easily and paddle around St. Michael's mount, but I've heard the fishing isn't much good.

Going further North from St. Ives I would check out Portreath and the stretch down to Navax Point, but that's just a guess. Hopefully someone more local will come on and tell you about more options. I'd cerainly be interested too. Have a great trip. :thumbs:

Paintfly thanks alot most of those places are familiar from previous hols in the area and you have refreshed my memory.

My appetite is well and truly whetted....just hope there is some more advice from locals with tactics and species it will save so much time.

I am just hoping the winds are friendly, a couple of years it was blowing so hard I wouldn't even venture on the rocks for fear of beaing washed off...boy it can blow down there.

Kayak Angler

Prowler 13

http://coarsekayakfishing.proboards.com/index.cgi

ckf-1.png