CANAL ANGLING

Janet

Hi guys,

Hope SOMEBODY out there can help with this one! It's a bit of a long shot, but the forum members on here are usually a good source of information!

We are going on a two week narrowboat holiday in May, setting off to try and attempt to do the South Pennine Ring. We're starting from Sowerby Bridge, then heading off down the Huddersfield Broad, Huddersfield Narrow, Ashton, Rochdale Canals etc. If the current stoppage on the Rochdale isn't fixed, then we'll do the Outer Pennine Ring instead, missing the Rochdale and taking in the Bridgewater and on up the Wigan flight to the Leeds Liverpool, Aire and Calder, Calder and Hebble and back to Sowerby Bridge.

My question is, is there any way I can find out before we go who owns the fishing rights to various stretches? Whichever route we take, we are going to be on a very tight schedule, with no time to moor up during the day to find a convenient tackle shop to ask advice and buy day tickets. We'll be cruising from early morning until early evening, so there's just no chance! I thought British Waterways would have the information, but they haven't been particularly helpful so far. If we knew exactly where we'd be moored each night it would be easier, but other than having a rough idea of which canal we'll be on, we really don't know where we're going to be, as our route won't be fixed until we know if this stoppage is cleared or not.

I want to be able to fish for a while each evening once we've moored up. My other crew member can safely be left in charge of cooking! (he knows his place!)

Can any of you lot help? I really don't want to run foul of any club bailiffs. I know I can probably get away with it, as we're likely to be moored out in the country, and unlikely to be caught, but that's not the way I like to do things. Even if you can just tell me your club, and which stretches they own, and a contact phone number, that would be a great help.

Cheers lads,

Janet

Hi Janet

Take a look here:

http://www.waterscape.com/Yorkshire_%26_Hu...side/waterways/

then click on each canal. On the menu down the left side click on angling - tells you which clubs control which stretches :)

(Bloody awful website takes quite some finding that that is where the information is :) )

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

For some it has good detail, for others it just lists which clubs have fishing on that canal - less useful :(

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

Hi guys,

Hope SOMEBODY out there can help with this one! It's a bit of a long shot, but the forum members on here are usually a good source of information!

We are going on a two week narrowboat holiday in May, setting off to try and attempt to do the South Pennine Ring. We're starting from Sowerby Bridge, then heading off down the Huddersfield Broad, Huddersfield Narrow, Ashton, Rochdale Canals etc. If the current stoppage on the Rochdale isn't fixed, then we'll do the Outer Pennine Ring instead, missing the Rochdale and taking in the Bridgewater and on up the Wigan flight to the Leeds Liverpool, Aire and Calder, Calder and Hebble and back to Sowerby Bridge.

My question is, is there any way I can find out before we go who owns the fishing rights to various stretches? Whichever route we take, we are going to be on a very tight schedule, with no time to moor up during the day to find a convenient tackle shop to ask advice and buy day tickets. We'll be cruising from early morning until early evening, so there's just no chance! I thought British Waterways would have the information, but they haven't been particularly helpful so far. If we knew exactly where we'd be moored each night it would be easier, but other than having a rough idea of which canal we'll be on, we really don't know where we're going to be, as our route won't be fixed until we know if this stoppage is cleared or not.

I want to be able to fish for a while each evening once we've moored up. My other crew member can safely be left in charge of cooking! (he knows his place!)

Can any of you lot help? I really don't want to run foul of any club bailiffs. I know I can probably get away with it, as we're likely to be moored out in the country, and unlikely to be caught, but that's not the way I like to do things. Even if you can just tell me your club, and which stretches they own, and a contact phone number, that would be a great help.

Cheers lads,

Janet

As far as i know you can fish on a Canal/River from a boat with out having a fishing permit as long as you have a rod licence. I may be wrong though.

Hi Janet

Take a look here:

http://www.waterscape.com/Yorkshire_%26_Hu...side/waterways/

then click on each canal. On the menu down the left side click on angling - tells you which clubs control which stretches :)

(Bloody awful website takes quite some finding that that is where the information is :) )

Nick, thanks for that. I've been on Waterscape for hours without finding that information! Bit difficult to get phone numbers, but I'll keep at it. You're right - it's a lousy site to find your way round, especially when you're trying to do most of it at work without the boss catching you!

Janet

Hi Jamie

That is certainly not my understanding of the situation. I would be very interested if you could point me to an authoritative source for that claim.

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

if the waters are British Waterways then you can fish as mentioned with just a rod licence,as the boat licence covers you (as long as you fish from the boat and not from the bank)

I thought that it was illegal to fish from a boat on BW waters? It certainly is with my angling club membership. I've never heard of our boat licence covering us for angling too. Would be good it it did, but I'd prefer to err on the side of caution!

Janet

I thought that it was illegal to fish from a boat on BW waters? It certainly is with my angling club membership. I've never heard of our boat licence covering us for angling too. Would be good it it did, but I'd prefer to err on the side of caution!

Janet

From

http://www.waterscape.com/features/fishing...nals-and-rivers

Don’t...

9. Fish from a moving boat*

* Fishing is permitted from the back of a boat moored to the towing path bank. However:

1. You must possess a valid permit or be prepared to purchase one from the controlling angling club or riparian owner when approached on any fishery that offers day permits.

2. You must also possess an Environment Agency rod licence available in advance online or from any post office.

Tony

Tony

1. You must possess a valid permit or be prepared to purchase one from the controlling angling club or riparian owner when approached on any fishery that offers day permits.

That's an excellent bit of information Thanks for that Tony! I'd overlooked that page whilst searching for individual canals and clubs.

I hope that if I can't buy a ticket in advance, that I'll be able to buy one if I'm approached, and they don't get too stroppy! As I'll only be able to fish for a couple of hours in the evening, and we'll be moored up miles from anywhere most nights, I expect I'll be alright.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Janet