Decisions, decisions

Wavegoat

Hello,

Hoping to get my first yak in the next couple of weeks. Had pretty much decided on the wilderness systems tarpon 120 (£500) with one rod holder and using a crate in the tank well as opposed to the angler verion (didn't seem worth the extra £150), but today i've seen an islander strike which is fully kitted out for fishing and nearly 2ft longer for £450. What's the deal with the Islander? Is it lacking in quality/not up to the job? I plan to fish off the Cornish coasts and the north coast can get a bit choppy at times so need something capable. Any help would be much appreciated (also alternative suggestions - budget £600).

Cheers.

Have you sat in them to see which is comfier? Will the shops let you have a trial paddle? Otherwise try and get to a meet or a shops demo day. Check out the OK Prowler, there are 4 different fishing versions of that, all very popular! I've never seen the yaks you mention.

Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Flame

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro Flame

I have a T140, very capable yak and A1 build quality. IMO it's worth getting the standard and kitting it out yourself.

Not seen the Islander myself either.

Agree with previous post, worth looking at the prowler range from O.K.

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

Thanks for the advice, will definately check out the prowler range, but the shops i've visited so far don't stock them. I've sat in the tarpon and it seems very comfy, I also know a couple of people with wilderness systems yaks and they seem very happy with the quality, i'll have to see if I can have a try of one. The islander I mentioned was not in stock in the shop so i've only seen the brochure, I can't help but think it must be lacking something with such a low price.

Thanks for the advice, will definately check out the prowler range, but the shops i've visited so far don't stock them. I've sat in the tarpon and it seems very comfy, I also know a couple of people with wilderness systems yaks and they seem very happy with the quality, i'll have to see if I can have a try of one. The islander I mentioned was not in stock in the shop so i've only seen the brochure, I can't help but think it must be lacking something with such a low price.

Hi and welcome Wavegoat

Not seen this hayak myself but googled this pic on the robin hood watersports site! Looks like a reasonable kayak. They also have OK kayaks on this site, but personally I would buy my new yak from Bournmouth canoes for the customer service :thumbs:

SDD~~~ :sun:

post-6361-1177611775_thumb.jpg

Hi and welcome Wavegoat

Not seen this hayak myself but googled this pic on the robin hood watersports site! Looks like a reasonable kayak. They also have OK kayaks on this site, but personally I would buy my new yak from Bournmouth canoes for the customer service :thumbs:

SDD~~~ :sun:

Me Too! :thumbs: mention you heard about them on A.N. and don't be surprised if they give you a discount :rolleyes:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Just been to another shop today, cornwall canoes has just opened. I was told the best options would be the prowler 13 angler or the percepton freedom angler. Most people on here seem to have a prowler - any opinions on the freedom angler? Thanks again.

hi wavegoat

i've got the freedom angler, good strong yak easy too paddle and very stable only problem i have with it is the rod holder is a bit far forward, even when your sitting side on its out of reach

Edited by headshine

Hello,

Hoping to get my first yak in the next couple of weeks. Had pretty much decided on the wilderness systems tarpon 120 (£500) with one rod holder and using a crate in the tank well as opposed to the angler verion (didn't seem worth the extra £150), but today i've seen an islander strike which is fully kitted out for fishing and nearly 2ft longer for £450. What's the deal with the Islander? Is it lacking in quality/not up to the job? I plan to fish off the Cornish coasts and the north coast can get a bit choppy at times so need something capable. Any help would be much appreciated (also alternative suggestions - budget £600).

Cheers.

Thanks Headshine,

I think i'm gonna go for the freedom angler, people who have one seem very happy with it but I have heard that the rod holder is a bit awkward. I think the flush holder right in front in the console should make up for it. I'll mainly be spinning and trolling so shouldn't have too many problems. Thanks again.