Danger - Tidal Surge

Leon Roskilly

High Spring tides over the next few days could bring the fish close to shore, especially with the wind stirring things up.

But beware.

The current weather conditions, combined with the high tides, could produce a tidal surge, which could produce a sudden rise in the water level.

Remember, in 1953 such a surge alomg the East Coast led to widespread flooding, with little warning, drowning over 300 people.

See www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/unde...953_flood.shtml

Not a time to be caught out on low lying ground as a tidal surge comes over the top of a high tide, sweeping all before it.

Just be aware!

www.environment-agency.gov.uk/news/...searchfor=tidal

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Guest jay_con

I beleive someone lost their life in scotland earlier this week due to rough sees too.

I also saw someone get airlifted off the beach at whitby yesterday.

As a low pressure area moves across the sea, a dome of water forms beneath the depression (the higher pressure surrounding the anticyclone pushes down on the water, less pressure is exerted by the lower weight of air in the centre of the depression so the water rises).

As a depression moves towards the North Sea, first the winds are blowing from the South West, forcing the sea North East to greet the depression as it moves into the North Sea.

(In the 1953 floods, the previous high tide in East Anglia simply didn't occur, all the water was up there in the North Sea!)

As the depression moves onto the continent, that dome of water is released, and the wind swings around to the North East, now pushing all that water back down the East Coast.

As the water (tidal surge) sweeps down the North Sea, toward the channel, the land mass squeezes it as the gap narrows, forcing the surge to heighten.

If all of that coincides with a high spring tide, well that is really bad news!

The Thames barrier simply may not cope, giving that the South East is sinking (Scotland is 'springing up' now that the weight of all the ice of the last ice age has gone), and that global warming is raising sea levels.

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Guest jay_con

Anthony - I love your picture . do you fancy a fishing trip in the dark sometime? Ill show you my worm.

Just while were talking about pressure and wind etc, can anyone tell me why an easterly sea makes the sea water go gin clear whilst from any other direstion the water colours up? se & ne = coloured water east = clear.