Jerk bait and plugs, what is the difference?

Ronst

My 2 favourite jerkbaits are the Salmo Slider and the Ace Sweet Shad 66 (both glidebaits I'd say). The Slider can thumped fairly hard but the SS66 doesn't fair that well with anything other than a gentle tap or pull. Smashing lures the pair of them but the Slider is made far better. I'm still throwing the same one 4-5 years later. My SS66 is basically falling apart after half that time but it still pulls the fish in.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My 2 favourite jerkbaits are the Salmo Slider and the Ace Sweet Shad 66 (both glidebaits I'd say). The Slider can thumped fairly hard but the SS66 doesn't fair that well with anything other than a gentle tap or pull. Smashing lures the pair of them but the Slider is made far better. I'm still throwing the same one 4-5 years later. My SS66 is basically falling apart after half that time but it still pulls the fish in.

Add a Buster Jerk and a AK Punnisher to the list and you are well equipped for both UK and European pike fishing :):):)

The new versions of the ACE baits with Envirotex finish/coating are much, much better than the old ones and can take a lot more punishment.

http://www.fishingpool.co.uk/product.php?pid=jerk7

Edited by Vidar6

I've got the Strike Pro Buster and Belly Buster jerks. I've done well with the Belly Buster but the Buster hasn't delivered for some reason. Mine was the bright orange version right enough and I've sprayed it silver/black, so hopefully it'll redeem itself, now that it's not quite so loud. I don't have the AK Punnisher though. I'll have a look but my collection is glidebaits is larger than I really need TBH but thanks for that Vidar.

(I do like the name right enough. 'Punnisher' :angry: .....lol)

PS: I had a wee look about and I can't find the AK Punnisher. I've tried AK Punisher and I thought it might be an A.C. lure but I can't find it mate. Do you have a link Vidar??

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

I've got the Strike Pro Buster and Belly Buster jerks. I've done well with the Belly Buster but the Buster hasn't delivered for some reason. Mine was the bright orange version right enough and I've sprayed it silver/black, so hopefully it'll redeem itself, now that it's not quite so loud. I don't have the AK Punnisher though. I'll have a look but my collection is glidebaits is larger than I really need TBH but thanks for that Vidar.

(I do like the name right enough. 'Punnisher' :angry: .....lol)

PS: I had a wee look about and I can't find the AK Punnisher. I've tried AK Punisher and I thought it might be an A.C. lure but I can't find it mate. Do you have a link Vidar??

The André Koehoorn Punnisher is a hand built Dutch lure and I got mine from Lundgrens in Sweden.

Expensive lure, but a fantastic pike catcher and a joy to use :D:D

http://shop.lundgrensfiske.com/group.asp?group=135

Thanks for the link Vidar. It looks very much like the Ace Siren, which I have. Do you happen to know if it's similar?

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

If you're talking about the Abu HI-LO jerkbait (why it's called HI-LO is anyone's guess) my mate has given a couple a try and he wasn't that impressed. He thought they were inconsistant and a little off-balance. He described it as fishing like an Ace Flipper and thought I had far better lures BUT I'm not sure that's a bad thing. The Flipper has caught stacks of fish for loads of folk so a bit of wobble is OK in my book. I think I'll have to see them in action myself before I make any judgement about them. They're only 8 quid or something and they're tough plastic too so they should last as long as you have them. The colour range is pretty appealing too. I asked about them on a few forums but I think I asked a little to early after their release for enough people to say one way or another.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

Thanks for the link Vidar. It looks very much like the Ace Siren, which I have. Do you happen to know if it's similar?

They are very similar, but the Punnisher being hand-built and individually tested before release is much more consistent in its action. I suppose that why the Punnisher costs all that extra money. Saying that, there are some very good mass produced around, such as the Salmo slider and the Buster Jerk.

Tried jerkbaits (Squirelly burts, Buster jerks and bulldawgs) with very limited success and now looking at the size of the hooks and stiffness of the rod am thinking of sacking it off. Does anyone use jerks on rivers with any luck or are they mostly for the expanses of trout waters?

True jerkbaits (the ones built basically like a stick /w no inherent action) are deadly at times but IMO are by far the most difficult lure to master.

They tend to be worth the effort on pressured waters when the fish have seen almost every sort of standard hard bait and know to avoid them.

That said, it is a form of hard bait I gave up several years ago since there are too many other good options.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President