Jerk bait and plugs, what is the difference?

Ronst

'Snigging' which is leaving baited hooks near a favoured eel lie.

There is a similar word "sniggling" or "to sniggle" which is in a poem by Andrew Lang, fulminating against the deterioration of the Upper Clyde.

Scots wae fish wi' salmon roe,

Scots wae sniggle as ye go,

Will ye stand the baillie? - NO!

The context suggests trout rather than eels were the quarry, but what say our two resident etymologists?

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a similar word "sniggling" or "to sniggle" which is in a poem by Andrew Lang, fulminating against the deterioration of the Upper Clyde.

Scots wae fish wi' salmon roe,

Scots wae sniggle as ye go,

Will ye stand the baillie? - NO!

The context suggests trout rather than eels were the quarry, but what say our two resident etymologists?

It was trout he was after with salmon roe, and that was of coursr against a 'rule'

Barker instructs my

Lord Montague to fish with salmon roe, a thing prohibited and

very popular in Scotland. 'If I had known it but twenty years

agoe, I would have gained a hundred pounds onely with that

bait. I am bound in duty to divulge it to your Honour, and

not to carry it to my grave with me. I do desire that men of

quality should have it that delight in that pleasure: the

greedy angler will murmur at me, but for that I care not.'

Barker calls salmon roe 'an experience I have found of late:

the best bait for a trout that I have seen in all my time,'

and it is the most deadly, in the eddy of a turbid water.

Perhaps trout would take caviare, which is not forbidden by

the law of the land. Any unscrupulous person may make the

experiment, and argue the matter out with the water-bailie.

But, in my country, it is more usual to duck that official,

and go on netting, sniggling, salmon-roeing, and destroying

sport in the sacred name of Liberty.

Scots wha fish wi' salmon roe,

Scots wha sniggle as ye go,

Wull ye stand the Bailie? No!

Let the limmer die!

Now's the day and now's the time,

Poison a' the burns wi' lime,

Fishing fair's a dastard crime,

We're for fishing FREE!

lang, A. Introduction to the compleat Angler http://www.fullbooks.com/Andrew-Lang-s-Int...e-Compleat.html

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Good stuff. I like it and I'm going to copy it for my wee miscellaneous fishing folder full of all things piscatorial.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Maybe Cory would know.
It was called ripping, jagging or jigging where I did most of my growing up Andy.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Jagging and jigging (except in lure or sea fishing) I've not heard. Ripping is definitely a word I've heard used for it (ta!) but that wasn't the word I was thinking of either. Ach, I cannae mind. Thanks anyhow. I'll ask my mate Cammy when I see him. He was as fly as they come so he'll know for sure.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

Ripping is definitely a word I've heard used for it (ta!) but that wasn't the word I was thinking of either. Ach, I cannae mind. Thanks anyhow.

'Snatching'?

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

LOL no.....I think I'll just wait till I speak to my mate. I'll probably kick myself.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

Just to add to the confusion, there are several types of "jerkbait's" available, which all requires rather different retrieve techniques in order to be used successfully

The bulk of so-called "jerkbait's" used for pike in the UK are not at all designed to be retrieved with violent jerks or pulls, but are rather glidebait's or slider's that should be retrieved using relative gentle taps of the rod tip, thus allowing the bait to glide side-to-side in a zig-zag pattern.

There is simply a much greater chance of foul hooking a fish on a largish straight retrieved crank bait's and treble hooked soft plastic lures then there is on a correctly fished glidebait or slider.