Freshwater mussels a problem in stillwater?

philocalist

Just wondering whether a member may be aware of an article somewhere they could link to that would give me the story on freshwater (Swan) mussels in (UK) stillwaters? I guess what I'm looking for is an accurate, easy-to-access guide to the pro's and cons of their existence within a lake - why you might want to remove them (and how), or indeed why you might want to ensure that they are NOT removed :)

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Edited by philocalist

I've never heard of anyone trying to remove them. They're filter feeders. Their larvae temporarily hitch a lift on fish. I don't think they are a protected species. Who wants to get rid of them, and why?

• Like 1

stockbridge pond is full of them ,you ocasionaly catch one but otherwise theyre not noticed ,freshwater pearl mussles i think are protected but not swan but ofcourse the owner of a lake can protect most anything he desires

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Just trying to gather some ammunition, as there is a small Civil War kicking off in a local club thathave a water I've taken an interest in - I'm too long out of the fight to be able to argue constructively over this straight off the blocks, and need a quick, accraure refresher from somewhere.

My own feelings are to leave them well alone, but a few members (apparently the loudest ones) are hell-bent on blaming everything they can for what they perceive (wrongly) to be reduced catches - bottom line is they can see no alternative other than to fish the pole over 3 feet of clear water, and understandably it's spooking the fish - in this case their argument is that the mussels, being filter feeders, will be preventing the lake from 'colouring up'..........

Bear in mind that the same (few) people are demanding that there is some serious cutting back done NOW (by others, of course) of marginal weed and the lilypad beds (neither of which are actually a problem), and they've already caused enough of a ruckus to have aerators switched off (on a shallow lake with historical oxygen level problems) 'because they are upsetting the fish, and mixing up the water layers', despite their desires / demands being contrary to that of the majority ... I'm a stranger to the mysterious world of clubs and committees and their associated black arts, so consequently am at a loss how the minority seem to be bullying their own interests through even though none are committee members and the moves fly dead against the wishes of the majority (who, it has to be said, groan loudy bankside but are largely apathetic enough to do nothing about the problems).

A couple of the older members, knowing a little about my background, have asked me to attend a meeting next week in an attempt to put a major spanner in the works in the shape of a constructive counter-argument backed up by facts rather than volume ... unfortunately, I'm not at all convinced that facts and truths will mean much when confronted by what are apparently very loudly-held opinions.

unfortunately in the few clubs i have been in its jobs for the boys and strict cliches which rarely represent the real interests of the club as a whole

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

One of the more unexpected side-effects, conveniently ignored, is that although there is a resident otter, there has NEVER been a single incidence of (noticable) fish predation - literally not one - but plenty of evidence that the otters have a taste for the mussels!

Theres one water, a reserviour actually that supplies a fair bit of glasgow with fresh water.

It is one of the most clean and natural places ive been the wildlife is fantastic it has a huge range of insect life helped no doubt by a knock on effect of the huge amount of swan mussels numbering in the thousands.

While it doesnt have a great deal of fish species (roach, rudd, hybrids, and pike) they thrive year after year and produces 2lb roach. The fishing is nit in decline because of them but actuaaly getting better! Water is gin clear as you would expect and doesnt impact on the fishing.

The resy gets drained once in a blue moon due to repairs and it always bounces back super quick too.

As filter feeders they can only be a benefit to water quality and the obvious knock on effect.

Also have to think how valuable they are as a food source for bigger species.

When swan mussels die they also go toxic. Any plan to kill them will need to see them actually removed.

P.s. I also ledger here and have yet to catch one stuck to my line.

Ill pm the water and any info i can find about the mussels in there. In 2011 they blocked a grate preventing water flow :D easily dealt with though and all was well again.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

One of the more unexpected side-effects, conveniently ignored, is that although there is a resident otter, there has NEVER been a single incidence of (noticable) fish predation - literally not one - but plenty of evidence that the otters have a taste for the mussels!

Then they benefit the water as if the otters are eating the mussels they are not eating the fish

They are filter feeders and they will contribute to making the water clearer, however I suspect that the water clarity is more down to the amount of vegetation.

Tell them to go and fish a commercial mud puddle instead, there's no shortage of them!

• Like 1