First the good news, then..?

gozzer

I read recently about a fishery that had opened not too far from me.

It's an estate lake (about 200yrs old), 3 1/2 acres, 13 islands, average 6ft deep, hardly fished in recent times, due to it being off the beaten track, and the previous owner didn't like too many people on his land.

Sounds interesting, I thought, I read on.

The new owners have built amenities such as a toilet, car park and fishing platforms, ( I can live with that).

The lake is well stocked with carp, tench, bream, roach, rudd, perch and eels, (no mention of pike I notice, alarm bells ringing). And the new owners have recently stocked with....."thousands of smaller carp"........ Why? :angry:

What sounded to me like a near perfect fishery, has to be ruined by this modern day madness.

A purpose built 'hole in the ground', I don't like, but can partly understand the reasoning, but a 200yr old estate lake?

I can only put it down to it being a business venture, but what a waste.

I had pictured a northern Wingham, but sadly its not to be. :(

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

where is that John (feel free to PM if you prefer) just wonder if it might be somewhere I know...

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

where is that John (feel free to PM if you prefer) just wonder if it might be somewhere I know...

You've got a message nick.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Ridiculous. :angry:

I wonder whether the EA ought to start considering the effect on biodiversity of overstocking of small carp into established waters, and stop issuing section 30 consents?

Edited by Steve Walker

Cheers John, not a water that I know but know the general area fairly well.

It really does amaze me just how much these none native fish are allowed to dominate and proliferate. The "fisheries" being created in this way are as alien as if they were to be stocked heavily with bass or catfish, but somehow it is allowed.

Totall crazy!

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

Guest tigger

It's an estate lake (about 200yrs old), 3 1/2 acres, 13 islands, average 6ft deep, hardly fished in recent times, due to it being off the beaten track, and the previous owner didn't like too many people on his land.

The new owners have built amenities such as a toilet, car park and fishing platforms, ( I can live with that).

The lake is well stocked with carp, tench, bream, roach, rudd, perch and eels, (no mention of pike I notice, alarm bells ringing). And the new owners have recently stocked with....."thousands of smaller carp"........ Why? :angry:

What sounded to me like a near perfect fishery, has to be ruined by this modern day madness.

A purpose built 'hole in the ground', I don't like, but can partly understand the reasoning, but a 200yr old estate lake?

John.

Supply and demand m8. If that's what people want then fair play buisness is buisness. It's not like it's a river system is it. At the end of the day if you don't like it stay away. :rolleyes:

Another natural lake ruined. There should be legal limits placed on this kind of 'fishery management'. The lake probably had reasonable stocks of old carp, tench, bream, roach, rudd, etc. so why people feel the need to tear the heart out of the place and make it into another Starbucks lake is beyond me.

One more obsticle removed from the inevitable path to carp domination.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

John.

Sounds just like the "secret" lake that was fished by Chris Yates and Bob James in A Passion for Angling. Imagine what uptapped treasures could lie in wait in such a place. Ancient, natural (as opposed to the "gut bucket variety) carp, mysterious tench, uncaught specimen roach and rudd. Not to mention the diversity of the non-fishy wildlife. Sellng the rights to a syndicate would have at least preserved some of the mystery, and lessened the angling pressure on the place.