Maggots

Myster

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As i've worked in a tackle shop for a few years I can tell you that the best temperature to keep maggots at is 2-3 degrees centigrade any colder and the maggots will die.

Cheers

Steve Merlin.

And then you can use them for bait Steve?? Just best to FLAVOUR them first. And they keep for AGES!!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Guest Rabbit
And then you can use them for bait Steve?? Just best to FLAVOUR them first. And they keep for AGES!!

Dead maggots are USELESS as hookbait. The only reason for using dead maggots is for loose feed in some cicumstances when the maggots are needed to be visible. Get a Fridge it makes sense :thumbs:

I always freeze any maggots left over at the end of the day. They work beautifully as groundbait on the silty pond I fish.

However, label them carefully. I caught my son just in time as he was about to make himself a curry after coming in from the pub. Amazing how frozen white maggots resemble frozen rice when you've had a couple of beers!

Janet

Dead maggots are USELESS as hookbait. The only reason for using dead maggots is for loose feed in some cicumstances when the maggots are needed to be visible.

I absolutely and totally disagree. There have been occasions when dead maggots have caught me fish when live maggots have been untouched.

I've also found that dead maggots catch me less small fish than live maggots. As a specimen hunter that's a real bonus.

To be fair, the difference may be down to flavourings. I've never ever used dead maggots without a flavour, and I can't remember the last time I used live ones unflavoured - it was many years ago.

I add liquid flavour to a plastic bag, followed by the maggots, and then freeze them for 48 hours. Any less and the maggots may well survive.

The other advantage of dead maggots is that I can just grap a pint of them from the freezer as I leave on a fishing trip, without the need to go to the tackle shop.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Guest Rabbit
I absolutely and totally disagree. There have been occasions when dead maggots have caught me fish when live maggots have been untouched.

I've also found that dead maggots catch me less small fish than live maggots. As a specimen hunter that's a real bonus.

To be fair, the difference may be down to flavourings. I've never ever used dead maggots without a flavour, and I can't remember the last time I used live ones unflavoured - it was many years ago.

I add liquid flavour to a plastic bag, followed by the maggots, and then freeze them for 48 hours. Any less and the maggots may well survive.

The other advantage of dead maggots is that I can just grap a pint of them from the freezer as I leave on a fishing trip, without the need to go to the tackle shop.

I have never considered using dead maggots as hook bait. It goes against every thing I thought and understood was right. I almost obsessed about the need to change the maggot after every cast. I know that fish are particular, and any sucked or even mouthed maggot would ensure I do not get a further interest in that bait. Thats the way I see it and I am sure its the way thay other anglers do as well.

However I read with interest as to what you say regarding flavourings, again its not something I have found that is necessary, the thought that we need to enhance the maggot by flavouring is I think dubious.

I on some occasions use a bream flavouring, but that doesn't seem to catch me any more than the unflavoured maggot. I believe colour plays a part and red seems to be the chosen colour for many, maybe because it resembles a lot of natural food that the fish feed on, ie bloodworm. I too enjoy catching specimen sized fish to Steve ,so any success you have with dead maggots would be something I would be interested in hearing about, maybe I need to alter my thinking a tad!!

Its the baits that we feel most confident about that we feel are the best, not always the the fish see it that way I am sure.

I'm slightly worse than a maggot novice so I'll pass on that one.

I have seen the time when a lobworm or a piece of lobworm seemed to draw more attention after the first fish had mauled it a bit and when fishing grasshoppers or crickets, had quicker bites on half an insect after a fish had made off with a piece or two.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Guest Rabbit
I'm slightly worse than a maggot novice so I'll pass on that one.

I have seen the time when a lobworm or a piece of lobworm seemed to draw more attention after the first fish had mauled it a bit and when fishing grasshoppers or crickets, had quicker bites on half an insect after a fish had made off with a piece or two.

I guess maggots are not BIG in the States, Newt. I understand with the worm / cricket observation, the thinking is around that juices and scent are expelled from damaged bait, thus enticing a bite. You may know that some clever fish here especially roach, are very adept at sucking maggots on the hook whilst avoiding the hook. :headhurt:

Rabbit - I have been told that in some parts of the US they are popular enough to be available at bait shops. The is not the case anywhere I've ever lived and after watching how they are used in the UK and trying them under the expert guidance of Vagabond and Steve Burke, I really wish they were.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Im with steve on this, dead maggots can and often do produce a better stamp of fish, and in some situations such as silty bottoms, dead maggots can be a killer method for many species not just tench.

Ive also found that lively maggots can be left untouched and a switch to a stretched dead maggot has produced instant bites.

Ive also found chewed maggots, where small fish have nibbled at the bait are effective.