Does the skipper catch his customer’s fish?

JB

I'm not sure yet if this is a genuine topic, or yet another bit of Whitby back-biting (eltons post)

could be as he could be getting at big cod , thats if he fishes on his boat think he does might be wrong

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm much happier when the skipper fishes, especially if he catches more fish. It shows that he knows what he is doing, and that he has put us on the fish. I've heard too many stories of skippers chugging for half an hour, chucking an anchor down then going for a kip in the wheel house all day. Having said that, I limit my trips to a max of five anglers, and they are often all experienced, and the fishing is mostly at anchor. If the skipper didnt fish, there wouldnt be much else fo him to do, other than the teas which he does regularly anyhow! Plus, I dont care particularly who catches the fish, I just wanna see em!!

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Seafishstocks/ IF YOU WANT TO SAVE OUR FISH STOCKS

I'm not sure yet if this is a genuine topic, or yet another bit of Whitby back-biting (eltons post)

could be as he could be getting at big cod , thats if he fishes on his boat think he does might be wrong

I can understand your concerns Iggy , but i have done 100's if not 1000's of hours fishing and all paid to the skipper.

With the growing awareness of "conservation" , don't you think that it is fair to say that a paying angler on a charter boat has the right to his days fishing , on a mark that may hold 20 fish (as JB says) and is entitled to his and the rest of the (paying)anglers share of that catch??? I have been fishing (sea) since i was 10 years old , and started paying for charters when i was 14 , and my working out comes to about £8,000 . And thats only for the charter , then theres the b+b , beer , tackle and fuel ........

What i have come to be aware of in the past 5-10 years is a growing number of skippers fishing for themselves on a charter,

Now grumble aside , i don't have much to moan about (simply because i am self sufficient , in the fact i can get out of tangles , off the bottom , filet and gut my fish) , BUT...............what promotion is it for the new and old anglers who aren't so lucky???? Seeing your skipper fishing all day and not bothering to help you out with getting un-stuck off the bottom? I know cos i've spoken to them. They see it as ......."i'm paying good money for the service that they say they provide , and i'm not getting it" "£40 is a lot of money"

Would it sit right if the beaters of a shoot left the beating for a while and did their own little shoot????

Would it sit right if a plumber came to your house to fit a radiator ,and broke off to go home and fit his radiator?

Edited by mr motorola

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

No. Personally, I think you're moaning about nothing, Mr. M.

I've often wondered how a charter skipper can survive, financially. Even on a day when he can get out to sea, his income is quite pathetic, compared to most businesses, especially when you consider their overheads. Take into account the days they can't get out, and you realise why their numbers are declining.

I've always assumed that he did it for a love of angling.

Personally, I wouldn't want to be taken to sea by a taxi driver. I prefer sharing my money with anglers.

To have one extra angler on a boat, which is usually licenced for 12, makes no difference in the grand scheme of things. As long as he's a good, attentive skipper, who could begrudge him wetting a line?

I haven't done as many trips as you, but I've spent a few thousand pounds, happily, in this way.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

No. Personally, I think you're moaning about nothing, Mr. M.

I've often wondered how a charter skipper can survive, financially. Even on a day when he can get out to sea, his income is quite pathetic, compared to most businesses, especially when you consider their overheads. Take into account the days they can't get out, and you realise why their numbers are declining.

I've always assumed that he did it for a love of angling.

Personally, I wouldn't want to be taken to sea by a taxi driver. I prefer sharing my money with anglers.

To have one extra angler on a boat, which is usually licenced for 12, makes no difference in the grand scheme of things. As long as he's a good, attentive skipper, who could begrudge him wetting a line?

I haven't done as many trips as you, but I've spent a few thousand pounds, happily, in this way.

No sorry Elton , but i am not moaning about nothing.

I don't begrudge any charter skipper a bit of fishing enjoyment , BUT they are paid by us to work. (it's their job)

If they want to wet a line .......fine but not at work.

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

i,ve been fishing way back in the 80s i remember when it was 5 quid , skipper can fish alongside me whats the problem? as i said tangles getting your fish aboard, i rememeber my 1 st trip i went on yrs ago i got a ling i would have said well over 40 pounds maybe more . it was spitting jigger out of is moth i had 100lb line it snapped, all due to the fact skipper had 17 on his boat instead of 12 , he got most to hind in cabin on the off no bull

No sorry Elton , but i am not moaning about nothing.

I don't begrudge any charter skipper a bit of fishing enjoyment , BUT they are paid by us to work. (it's their job)

If they want to wet a line .......fine but not at work.

That's your opinion, and you're entitled to it.

People fish for different reasons.

Me, I like sharing my experiences with like-minded individuals. Even more so, when I'm paying for it. When I go into my local tackle shop, I often spend an hour or so chewing the fat with the owner, Gary. Evidently, you think he should just serve me, Tesco style.

Fine.

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

That's your opinion, and you're entitled to it.

People fish for different reasons.

Me, I like sharing my experiences with like-minded individuals. Even more so, when I'm paying for it. When I go into my local tackle shop, I often spend an hour or so chewing the fat with the owner, Gary. Evidently, you think he should just serve me, Tesco style.

Fine.

Well look at it from the other side then.......................

A plumber you ordered , turns up and you labour for him all day , and still pay him his full wage? And he helps himself to some of your pipework aswell!!!!!!!

Well look at it from the other side then.......................

A plumber you ordered , turns up and you labour for him all day , and still pay him his full wage? And he helps himself to some of your pipework aswell!!!!!!!

I don't do plumbing for pleasure.

Like I said, people fish for different reasons. If you fish just to catch fish, fine. I would never begrudge you that.

Me, I'm different. I don't go fishing just to catch fish.

Tight lines!

I don't do plumbing for pleasure.

Like I said, people fish for different reasons. If you fish just to catch fish, fine. I would never begrudge you that.

Me, I'm different. I don't go fishing just to catch fish.

Tight lines!

But most people do ........and it costs a lot of money ££££££££££££