Shock leaders

Jack Sparrow

I think you should make a distinction between boat fishing and beach fishing here. The knots used for connecting the leaders in line class boat angling, where the aim is maximum strength, are totally unsuitable for beachcasting. All this talk of Bimini twists is going to lead to a lot of broken rod rings and shredded thumbs!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Colin can you just clarify what type of fishing you think bimini twists are unsuitable for please ?

I have used the bimini for shore fishing for a couple of years afger been put onto it by a fellow shore angler and can say alot of the lads in this area use the knot.

I'm reading what you are saying as Bimini twists are no good for shore fishing ? Have I misunderstood ? Maybe you mean its no good for boat fishing ?

Edited by glennk

Hi Colin can you just clarify what type of fishing you think bimini twists are unsuitable for please ?

I have used the bimini for shore fishing for a couple of years afger been put onto it by a fellow shore angler and can say alot of the lads in this area use the knot.

I'm reading what you are saying as Bimini twists are no good for shore fishing ? Have I misunderstood ? Maybe you mean its no good for boat fishing ?

I wouldn't use it for shore fishing myself. I like the leader knot to be as small as possible.

I wouldn't use it for shore fishing myself. I like the leader knot to be as small as possible.

I thought when I first saw the knot it would be too big and catch too much weed etc, but too be honest I found the opposite to be true. Never had a problem with damaged eyes other than when I bounce the rod off the rocks occasionally. :thumbs:

I think the 10lb per ounce rule is a good one. The only time it could have let me down was when I landed my first tope from the shore. The 50lb line (Berkley Big Game) shock leader I used had suffered a significant amount of abrasion from the tope's skin. I now use 80lb leader when targetting tope.

I started to use the bimini this last winter off the rocks excellent knott.

Nobody would deny that. It's about the only knot that is often reckoned to be stronger than the line it's tied in. I just have concerns that it isn't the smallest knot you can tie (unless I'm completely misunderstanding how you are using it.)

Nobody would deny that. It's about the only knot that is often reckoned to be stronger than the line it's tied in. I just have concerns that it isn't the smallest knot you can tie (unless I'm completely misunderstanding how you are using it.)

Colin you are right it is a bulky knott but it makes up with its strenth you just have to be a little carefull when casting and i allways make sure i put the knott itself to side of the spool before castring or you can end up with a sore thumb.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

• 1 month later...
After reading the above posts another question:

Is there any need for a shock leading at all if spinning up to 1oz (maybe 1.5) using 10 or 12lb line?

Alan.

:clap2: You really only need shock leaders for power casting styles and 10-12lb line would just about do for 1 oz anyway. :clap2:

Colin you are right it is a bulky knott but it makes up with its strenth you just have to be a little carefull when casting and i allways make sure i put the knott itself to side of the spool before castring or you can end up with a sore thumb.

:clap2: I find the tapered leaders give a nice tidy knot and are long enough to lift a fish up a wall or pier. :clap2: