specimans

comradpoplin

Guest tigger

Isn't another name for it "A Stool", and I don't mean toad stool :rolleyes:

Edited by tigger

I'll stick my neck out and say that these days, in general, a specimen carp is 30lb or bigger. As the others have said, in reality a specimen from a particular water is relative to the average size, so it might be 10lb. I think, though, that even hardened carpers still think of a '30' as a goodun.

I always enjoy this game, so here are my others:

Tench - 8lb

Perch - 3lb

Roach - 2lb

Rudd - 2lb

Crucian - 1.5lb

Eel - 4lb

Pike - 20lb

Dace - 1lb

Chub - 5lb

Grayling - 2lb

Bream - 12lb

Branch - 15lb (they're getting bigger, and I've had some whoppers lately. Lovely old, dark, streamlined ones too)

:D

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Dammit! If that's true I've only caught a specimen roach. :schmoll:

However, looking at the carp comments I'm either 8lbs over or I still have another 17lbs to go!!! :blink:

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

Branch - 15lb (they're getting bigger, and I've had some whoppers lately. Lovely old, dark, streamlined ones too)

Remeber that screaming run that branch gave me the other week? For those that weren't there, an absolutely screaming run (not surprising given how close in I was fishing) the strike met with little resistance, "hold on it might have something .... oh no maybe not" just as a pb branch surfaced!

I've caught branches before but never had one scream off like that...

Rich

id like to start a post and if everyone could leave a comment id much appreaciate it just to gauge some outlooks on what a speciman carp really is.

i personally would say a true speciman carp would be a carp of 20lb+ maybe im setting my sights a little high but fellas let me know what you concider a speciman cheers guys.

hello poppers ,this guy told me the other day says 30lb was specimen me personaly would say any fish bigger then the norm would be a specimen.so in lake full of 5lb which is the norm a 10lb fish would be a good specimen.i see you dropped from 30 to 20 lol.nice try.by the way we live in the north east an its not the best place to look for 30lbers,but he is a southener after all and used to bigger then the norm fish haha.

I'll stick my neck out and say that these days, in general, a specimen carp is 30lb or bigger. As the others have said, in reality a specimen from a particular water is relative to the average size, so it might be 10lb. I think, though, that even hardened carpers still think of a '30' as a goodun.

I always enjoy this game, so here are my others:

Tench - 8lb

Perch - 3lb

Roach - 2lb

Rudd - 2lb

Crucian - 1.5lb

Eel - 4lb

Pike - 20lb

Dace - 1lb

Chub - 5lb

Grayling - 2lb

Bream - 12lb

:D

It is all entirely subjective.. I would roughly go along with Anderoo's list. Maybe knock a couple of pounds off the Bream specimen size, a few ounces from the Dace maybe 12oz and about 2lbs for a Crucian....

I wouldn't say that the tackle you catch a fish on qualifies the specimen size (in the common angling use of the word) quite as much as something like a North/South divide.. The Tenchfishers came up with a top 50 list of Tench, none of which came from the North..

I think if you catch a 10lb Carp from a lake that generally only produces 5lbr's all you have is a reasonable size Carp thats big for the lake not the species so therefore not what could be called a specimen. It's purely semantics and not really important at all..

Maybe we're all specimen hunters??

The Irish have a specimen size list for sea anglers along with their record list.. I wonder how they work out the size? A percentage of the record maybe?

Edited by dant