Stour and Orwell recreational fishery why it failed.

wurzel

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont want you guys thinking I want the current status quoe to continue, but not all commercial fisherman are bad guys. The winging farmers are subsadized to not grow any crops, UK fishermans subsadizing stoped years ago. We could all chip in and buy them out as the salmon angler do in Irland...Maybe...

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

yes ken I am.

This is happening on a local basis all around the contry.

In 1994 I worked with my mate Nick, Iwas on a quarter of the catch.

We were catching lots of bass drift netting the Kentish Knock. Most the fish went to market, but I woould sell quite a lot of fish to local pubs and resturants.This got us a bit of a better price and we got our money quicker.

Gradualy at first the resturants and pubs were turning me away as anglers had beat me to it, and beat me on price. These were customers I had built up.

Along with that the market price crashed when farmed bass hit the market so now commercial fisherman have to try and catch more fish to get the same money.

Black market bass is a big problem and anglers are being blamed for it by the comercials.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

I used to sell a few bass to the Green Man pub at Bradwell Water Side when i worked on the commercial boat, but now Barry the Bucket swapps the bass he catches from his boat for pints of beer.Barry has a job, but fishing is my mates job so Barry has nicked his customer swapping his bass for beer.

Three pints a night 7 nights a week thats 21 dead bass who ever caught and sold them...

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Thank you Sam,

we are getting the same price for bass now as we were 20 years ago.

Hows the ole man, never could catch a bass, is he still trying.

I fish to live and live to fish.

hes caught plent of bass mate 99 bass over 8lb in two hours on the KK in the 70s. I hear you have had one or two yourself. nice boats freewards lucky man...

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Sam,

I certainly don't think all commercial fishermen are bad guys.

I think there are a lot of stupid laws in place which not only upset the recreational mob but also the commercials.

It is up to the goverment quangos to sort it out and all to often they don't.

I really want them to bring in a rod licence and a net licence for all netters this would benefit commercials and us.

The owners of all nets should also be classed as commercials, if they want to fish for the pot use a rod.

In my book it is an easy step to take and would eliminate all of the current stupidity.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Sam, might be worth editing out the names and pubs m8 ? ; we are friends here but this stuff is on show to the world; try doing any google search on fisheries and conservation and AN postings crop up high.Not sure if naming places is trouble but would hate to see you or AN getting grief if it is.

Wheres a lawyer when you need one?

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net