Something to smile about this morning.....

Amongst all the rants about owing a few quid on the mortgage, today I actually recieved a letter I liked. It was from Dr Ken Collins, who is the administrator of the UK shark tagging progamme. A female Tope I caught in May 2003 East of the Nab tower was re-caught 2nd May this year, west of La Rochelle in the Bay of Biscay. I would imagine it was rushing to get laid back in the solent somewhere. I dont have the details of how it was caught again, and I will find the details of what it weighed when I caught it later, but it was 20kg at re-capture. Fingers crossed it was a sports fisherman and it was released again, as I would love to see her in a couple of years. It proves a coulple of points. 1, Catch and release works 2, a wild fish can retain its liberty for four years despite the gauntlet of nets and anglers. Made my day anyhow..... If it carries on like its going, the big bucket of live prawns I just picked up off the reef are gonna get me a monster later on!

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Seafishstocks/ IF YOU WANT TO SAVE OUR FISH STOCKS

Let's hope that it stays away from the Thames Estuary for a while.

At a meeting I attended the other day, fishermen confirmed the unintended consequences bought about by the imposition this year of a 25% bycatch limit on landing of 'skate' in the Southern North Sea.

Previously unwanted fish (such as tope) were often returned alive into the sea, but now they are being retained to legitimise landings of 'skate', even though they are on occasions dumped back dead into the sea on the following day.

Last year kent & Essex Sea Fisheries Committee declined to move forward on a proposal to protect tope in the district as 'there is no threat' (you can bet that they would now reject a similar proposal because tope are now valuable to the local fishermen!)

And the DEFRA consultation aimed at introducing protection for tope seems to have been put on the shelf and lost without trace through apparent lack of interest!

:(

Some letters to DEFRA might help in getting their tope consultation dusted off and moved forward before too much damage is done.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Let's hope that it stays away from the Thames Estuary for a while.

At a meeting I attended the other day, fishermen confirmed the unintended consequences bought about by the imposition this year of a 25% bycatch limit on landing of 'skate' in the Southern North Sea.

Previously unwanted fish (such as tope) were often returned alive into the sea, but now they are being retained to legitimise landings of 'skate', even though they are on occasions dumped back dead into the sea on the following day.

Last year kent & Essex Sea Fisheries Committee declined to move forward on a proposal to protect tope in the district as 'there is no threat' (you can bet that they would now reject a similar proposal because tope are now valuable to the local fishermen!)

And the DEFRA consultation aimed at introducing protection for tope seems to have been put on the shelf and lost without trace through apparent lack of interest!

:(

Some letters to DEFRA might help in getting their tope consultation dusted off and moved forward before too much damage is done.

So one bit of ill thought out legislation leads to demands for yet more legislation :rolleyes:

Might be an idea to let the Wurzels of this world decide whats good for fish stocks and keep the idealists well out of it?!

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

So one bit of ill thought out legislation leads to demands for yet more legislation :rolleyes:

Might be an idea to let the Wurzels of this world decide whats good for fish stocks and keep the idealists well out of it?!

I must admint, I would be interested in Wurzels views on the Tope and catching them to be allowed to land skate is just STUPID! What sort of an idea is that? Another example of the THIRD WAY?

I must admint, I would be interested in Wurzels views on the Tope and catching them to be allowed to land skate is just STUPID! What sort of an idea is that? Another example of the THIRD WAY?

As I understand it we are only allowed 5% by catch of shark species .

I have had comfirmation to day that the 25% skate and ray by catch has been droped and replaced with a catch limit of 200 Kg (30 stone) per day.

good idea jaffa.

then there wouldn't be anything exept jellyfish left and no one would have to worry.

you've been reading to much "Charles Bloody Clover!!!"

I fish to live and live to fish.

I have had comfirmation to day that the 25% skate and ray by catch has been droped and replaced with a catch limit of 200 Kg (30 stone) per day.

you've been reading to much "Charles Bloody Clover!!!"

Thanks for that Wurzel. Could you explain the other bit though. Does this mean you are entitled to land 30 stone of shark, should you wish, per day? The market price at Newhaven for Smooth-hound is now up to 70 to 80 pence, which is a worrying trend for a fish that Really doesnt need to be on the commercials list.

Thanks for that Wurzel. Could you explain the other bit though. Does this mean you are entitled to land 30 stone of shark, should you wish, per day? The market price at Newhaven for Smooth-hound is now up to 70 to 80 pence, which is a worrying trend for a fish that Really doesnt need to be on the commercials list.

Hello Fishyrob

No, we are still only allowed 5% of the total catch to be sharks, this is for the North sea only, as far as I'm aware there are no resrtictions for sharks or skate and rays south of Folkstone.

Why doesn't smooth hound need to be on the commercials list? better than being used for pot bait or dumped.

(I know skate are sharks but it seems the EU commission might not)

I fish to live and live to fish.

Hello Fishyrob

No, we are still only allowed 5% of the total catch to be sharks, this is for the North sea only, as far as I'm aware there are no resrtictions for sharks or skate and rays south of Folkstone.

Why doesn't smooth hound need to be on the commercials list? better than being used for pot bait or dumped.

(I know skate are sharks but it seems the EU commission might not)

Hi Peter

Loads of tope and smothounds in my area real nuisance factor we can land what we want to but dont bother, cannot be asked to gut them out.

We are seeing mountains of undersized skate and rays never ever seen these large numbers ever before.

Regards Steve

Good morning Wurzel, this sounds to me that the management of our fisheries is crap, is that what you have been trying to tell me over the months. One minute there's a ban, bycatch only, then they allow you to catch five minutes later. What with a huge amount of flatfish showing in the channel and the huge amount of cod showing in the north sea, we don't need quota. Come to that we don't need defra either, i wonder if the rsa will still have bag limits though.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..