Help - rescued juvenile hedgehog

Westie

Just saved a juvenile hedgehog from getting squished outside our house. It was walking up the centre of the road. Just as well Elton wasn't driving around. :blink:

Any tips on what to do? It's just had a good drink of fresh water. Seems to have a bit of a bald patch on top of its head (lack of bristles) - don't think it's been hit by a car or got by any other critter because there's no obvious damage. Should I just let it get on with the risks of outdoor life or keep it safer in the garden. It's very active given the time of day and am just worried it's looking for its mum. :(

What to do?

Westie.

If you're being chased by a police dog, try not to go through a tunnel, then on to a little seesaw, then jump through a hoop of fire. They're trained for that.

Visit My Photo Gallery

Just saved a juvenile hedgehog from getting squished outside our house. It was walking up the centre of the road. Just as well Elton wasn't driving around. :blink:

Any tips on what to do? It's just had a good drink of fresh water. Seems to have a bit of a bald patch on top of its head (lack of bristles) - don't think it's been hit by a car or got by any other critter because there's no obvious damage. Should I just let it get on with the risks of outdoor life or keep it safer in the garden. It's very active given the time of day and am just worried it's looking for its mum. :(

What to do?

Hello mate ,

Most areas have a Hedgehog rescue centre Google it or phone the RSPCA,Or Tiggywinkles Animal Hospital, Mind the bald patch, Hedgehogs get Ringworm and Sarcoptic Mainge, Both us and pets can get it! and it takes a while to clear up, Sarcoptic Mainge in humans presents as Scaibies,And no one loves ya when youve got that !

Tiggywinkles_Wildlife_Hospital.htm

Edited by five bellies

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

This time of the year it's probably best to let it get on with it, there's plenty of food on the lawns at night.

It's in the Autumn when a late birth produces 'Autumn orphans', that don't have the bodyweight to get them through a winter hibernation, that need care and feeding.

But that task shouldn't be underestimated, they need cleaning out and fresh bedding every day and feeding (cat food).

Most wild hedgehogs need medical care if they are going to be looked after to sort out problems like fleas, liver-flukes etc

Here's a few links:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&i...ehogs&meta=

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Cheers guys. I'll see how the little critter gets on... :thumbs:

Westie.

If you're being chased by a police dog, try not to go through a tunnel, then on to a little seesaw, then jump through a hoop of fire. They're trained for that.

Visit My Photo Gallery

Cheers guys. I'll see how the little critter gets on... :thumbs:

Westie If you go onto the St Tiggywinkles site they have a lot of good First aid advice on Hedgehogs,

Good luck mate

Beware the Mainge :rolleyes:

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

You didn't take my advice that I sent by text, then, Westie?

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

You didn't take my advice that I sent by text, then, Westie?

Only just seen it mate. Sensitive advice, as always. :clap2:

I knew about the fleas. The mange, I was not expecting. Will probably look for a rescue home or sumfink. Mind you, I did hear once that if you wrap them in clay and pop them on the BBQ, you have a nice prickle free lunch.

Decisions, decisions.

Rescue home, before someone thinks I'm serious and dumps 3 tonnes of horse $hit outside my house, Ramsey/Claridges style. :blink:

Westie.

Visit My Photo Gallery

Seriously, you border farmland. Just bung it on there.

I suppose that it would be considered to non-PC to suggest a game of hedgehog baseball? ;)

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I suppose that it would be considered to non-PC to suggest a game of hedgehog baseball? ;)

Yes it would. You must surely know that our national game is hedgehog cricket. Sheesh.

Westie.

Visit My Photo Gallery

Oh I don't know, RUGBY boots take some beating (With SPIKES!)

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))