what does the capacity of a rod mean?

henda11

It means that a weight of 2.75 lbs suspended from the tip with the rod held horizontal should bring it to a 50% curve.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

so how big a carp would this rod be able to hold if the rod capacity is 2.75lbs

It doesn't work quite like that - the test curve of a rod is more a reflection of how heavy a lead it can cast (and how far) than the size of fish it's designed to handle. If you're only fishing at short range on commercials, you're unlikely to need a rod of more than 2 - 2.5lb, however big the carp go to. But if you're hurling 3oz leads at the horizon, then a 2.75lb or 3lb rod will help.

Dick Walker landed his (then) record 44lb carp on a 1.5lb rod. A 1.5lb rod is considered to be a light barbel rod these days!

A test curve or TC as it is commonly abbreviated is the amount of weight that would be required if hung from the tip to bend the tip to 90 degrees to the butt.

This is used to give an indication of the rods power and also can be used (more details later) to give an indication of the range of suitable line strengths that can be used. It doesn’t describe the other important property i.e. action. An early use of test curves was by the famous tackle manufacturers Hardy’s back in the late 1930’s but the system we use now can be accounted to the famous specimen hunter, dick Walker, back in the 50’s. This is probably why TC’s are used to describe specimen type rod strengths and other systems used to rate the likes of fly or boat rods for example.

I mentioned earlier that the TC of a rod gives a guide to the best range of line strengths to be used with it. The accepted formulae is that if you multiply the TC by 5 it will give you the ideal line strength e.g. a 2lb TC carp rod would be best suited to a 10lb line. Also a guide to casting weight can be obtained by using a bomb that’s weight in ounces is similar to the rods TC e.g. the same 2lb carp rod would be fine with a 2ozs lead. Exact casting weights are more affected by the other important factor the rods action

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Guest Rabbit
im looking to get a new rod with a capacity of 2.75lbs, what does this mean?

It means that you probably want to use it for carp fishing, with 4 ounce leads fished at a distance of at least 50 metres, or it could be used for cat fishing, or perhaps jerking a lure for pollack and cod from a boat.

Dont get too wrapped up with test curves, the ACTION of a rod is nine times out of ten more important information you need to know.

Either way if you dont know you shouldn't consider buying it, dont waste your money on tackle that will be used just once if at all. So please tell us what sort of fishing do you intend to use this weapon for.

Guest Rabbit
so how big a carp would this rod be able to hold if the rod capacity is 2.75lbs

Sorry just saw this post, to ask this sort of question I think you need to team up with someone who is already a competent angler. There is no set rule as to what you ask fishing is an art not a science. A good angler could land a 20lb carp on a match rod with 4lb line. The ACTION of the match rod would be softer and act as a very efficient spring, and with a lot of good luck and skill the fish could be landed.

There you are some free info, its a start...next question.

Guest tigger

A good angler could land a 20lb carp on a match rod with 4lb line.

[/quote/}

Yeah!, it would have to be a snag/weed free place.