New to kayaking

JollyJay14

Good choice is the Big Game .... i know a few who have opted for this kayak and they love em' ...

A popular choice of Fishfinder is the Eagle Cuda range .... not too expensive too. Try the 128 model ....

all the best and hope you get sorted soon ..!

keith

This is too true Mike ...

I know of 2 people who have bought fishing kayaks recently and have little or no experience with them. I personally have kayaked for over 5 years now and have only recently bought a fishing kayak. I am at grade 3 level with the BCU but am still on a learning curve with my fishing kayaks. As we all know this is a fast growing sport and can and will be enjoyed by many people over the coming years... however a lot of these people will never have used a kayak. They will venture out into deep water looking for those elusive fish they are all hearing about. Problem is if they are out there alone and get into trouble who is there too help them. ? probably no one !.

Again as mike says get your experience first preferebly in the shallows on the beach or on a still river system until you feel comfortable with this new kayak you have just purchased. Once you have the paddling experience and the feel for the kayak and how it handles in all situations then you are ready to go fishing ... but prefereably not alone.

As you may have read i also got into difficulites recently off the North East Coast but due to the expereience we all had including my son we all kept our calm and sorted the situation with relative ease. However if i had been alone out there it may have been a very different matter indeed.

.. just a thought .. Other than that enjoy your sport as im sure you will !! :)

This is too true Mike ...

I know of 2 people who have bought fishing kayaks recently and have little or no experience with them. I personally have kayaked for over 5 years now and have only recently bought a fishing kayak. I am at grade 3 level with the BCU but am still on a learning curve with my fishing kayaks. As we all know this is a fast growing sport and can and will be enjoyed by many people over the coming years... however a lot of these people will never have used a kayak. They will venture out into deep water looking for those elusive fish they are all hearing about. Problem is if they are out there alone and get into trouble who is there too help them. ? probably no one !.

Again as mike says get your experience first preferebly in the shallows on the beach or on a still river system until you feel comfortable with this new kayak you have just purchased. Once you have the paddling experience and the feel for the kayak and how it handles in all situations then you are ready to go fishing ... but prefereably not alone.

As you may have read i also got into difficulites recently off the North East Coast but due to the expereience we all had including my son we all kept our calm and sorted the situation with relative ease. However if i had been alone out there it may have been a very different matter indeed.

.. just a thought .. Other than that enjoy your sport as im sure you will !! :)

Thanks for your concern i am planning to spend quite some time paddling around the areas i plan to fish to get a bit of a feel for it. i am only planning on fishing in the shallower waters around sandwich bay and ramsgate. i have used a dinghy in these waters for a few years now and know the areas reasonably well. There are quite a few of regular and experienced kayakers in the bay and i plan to take some tips from them too!!

I will let you know how i get on!

Thanks, Jolly

Good choice is the Big Game .... i know a few who have opted for this kayak and they love em' ...

A popular choice of Fishfinder is the Eagle Cuda range .... not too expensive too. Try the 128 model ....

all the best and hope you get sorted soon ..!

keith

Thanks for that keith, i'll check it out and let you know how i get on!

Cheers!

Jollyjay

Jolly Jay,

instead of the Eagle 128 - which works but doesn't last all that long from what many people who started with them found out - would be a slightly more expensive version from Hummingbird. They are made to withstand the salt properly and come from the same importer as your kayak. First rate after sales service too.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Jolly Jay,

instead of the Eagle 128 - which works but doesn't last all that long from what many people who started with them found out - would be a slightly more expensive version from Hummingbird. They are made to withstand the salt properly and come from the same importer as your kayak. First rate after sales service too.

I was one of them many people :wallbash::wallbash:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph