new to kayaking isle of wight

danny.b

hi all i have just become the proud owner of a ocean kayak caper and was wondering if there was any one that uses this forum from the isle of wight that would be willing to let me tag along with them when they go out, as I'm new to this and would feel a lot more comfortable (and safer) if i was going out with some one who has a lot more experience than me. to start with i will be just getting used to it in my local harbour but any help would be very welcome

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Danny,

judging by the number of replies you have had there isn't anyone on the Isle of Wight to meet up.

Maybe you should try posting on the overseas website :headhurt:

Richi goes out inside the Neeedles race a fair bit given favourable wind and tide. But you shouldn't go out there until you have the technique and stamina to paddle out and back. He has already had experience of one chap who couldn't paddle a couple of hundred yards against the tide, and that was in the harbour.

You need to get out and get some miles in. A good 3 mile paddle will soon show you how fit you need to be. Just paddle along the coastline and back, just outside the shore break to begin with. You could take a spinning rod with you and a few lures to relieve the boredom - but you won't actually get bored, even just paddling will soon become addictive. There is always plenty going on to keep you occupied.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Welcome to the forum, there are a few of us from Southampton area maybe we could meet half way :rolleyes:

Lat/Long :- N50°58.366 W001°26.468

I must go down to the sea again

To the lonely sea and sky

I left my shoes and socks there

I wonder if they're dry?

Welcome to the forum, there are a few of us from Southampton area maybe we could meet half way :rolleyes:

sounds good, i think i will take simons advise and get a few miles under my belt first, i'v seen lots off cars driving around the island with kayaks on top just didnt no if any off them where members of this form. I think it will be a case off getting my confidence up a bit and getting used to it.

many thanks will let you no how i get on (all good i hope)

What part of the Island are you from?

We often fish Ryde Middle,I've also done the Needles and Sturbridge Shoal---but none of them are suitable either for a Caper or a novice :headhurt:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

What part of the Island are you from?

We often fish Ryde Middle,I've also done the Needles and Sturbridge Shoal---but none of them are suitable either for a Caper or a novice :headhurt:

From sandown, i didnt want to get anything to big at first incase i couldnt handle it so i went for something in the middle, looked at the plowler and they do look good but i didnt want to run before i could walk. I think iam going to spend the summer close in around bembridge ledge plugging and a little bit of bottom fishing, and maybe sandown bay when i get a little more confident. I do a lot of plugging from the shore and there a quiet a few marks that are just out of reach for the shore angler and thought a kayak would be a great way off getting to them,i'm sure i will be posting a lot more when i get going for a few hints and tips on different things thanks again for the info

• 2 weeks later...

B)-->

QUOTE(danny.b @ May 28 2007, 07:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hi all i have just become the proud owner of a ocean kayak caper and was wondering if there was any one that uses this forum from the isle of wight that would be willing to let me tag along with them when they go out, as I'm new to this and would feel a lot more comfortable (and safer) if i was going out with some one who has a lot more experience than me. to start with i will be just getting used to it in my local harbour but any help would be very welcome

Hi Danny,

I live at Lake and can be found around Dunroamin Beach, weather and work permitting. As stated by the others get a bit of paddling practice in before venturing far, as I'm sure you are aware the tides and conditions can change quite quickly.......

Not sure if you are up to speed on safety stuff, but you only live once.......alway wear a PFD and carry a mobile, it is also IMHO essential to learn how to get back in if you fall out!! its quite easy and is fun practising on a nice calm day, I often bale out of mine for a swim when it gets hot and climb back in. IF you need instructions Ill do my best to explain. Just answer this post and ask! If it is calm a good run is from Yaverland (easy parking) to the end of Culver and back, wouldnt go round to Whiteciff yet as the shelf at the end can be tricky. Best to go with someone else first time.

I have just equipped myself with enough kit to try for a few Mackerel...complete novice!!

I have and OK Sidekick and my other half an OK Frenzy. May see you about during the Summer.

regards and good luck

Paul

B)-->

QUOTE(danny.b @ May 28 2007, 07:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hi danny

my name is jim i have a green mini x mainly i fish around the brook and compton area but would like to try the ledges around whitecliff . brook is a safe place to try and an easy launch if there is not any swell. if you want to go out i am happy to meet up .

jim

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(danny.b @ May 28 2007, 07:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->hi all i have just become the proud owner of a ocean kayak caper and was wondering if there was any one that uses this forum from the isle of wight that would be willing to let me tag along with them when they go out, as I'm new to this and would feel a lot more comfortable (and safer) if i was going out with some one who has a lot more experience than me. to start with i will be just getting used to it in my local harbour but any help would be very welcome

hi danny

my name is jim i have a green mini x mainly i fish around the brook and compton area but would like to try the ledges around whitecliff . brook is a safe place to try and an easy launch if there is not any swell. if you want to go out i am happy to meet up .

jim

thanks jim and paul it arived today, been sat in it most off the night like a big kid when i get a few miles under my belt i hope to meet up and go out together (not in the gay way) thanks again to all of you who repiled to me

B)-->

QUOTE(danny.b @ Jun 7 2007, 08:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thanks jim and paul it arived today, been sat in it most off the night like a big kid when i get a few miles under my belt i hope to meet up and go out together (not in the gay way) thanks again to all of you who repiled to me

its worth getting out at brook at the moment lots of bass around i lost one around 7 pound at the net today and caulght five more up to 3 pound. it seems to be best up to high tide.

jim