Good tench method?

richjones

Hey!

I have spent a few weeks reading through the forum, and have peiced togehter a little bit of knowledge gained, in the hope

that it will catch me a nice tench, however i will still need a few pointers from you experts...

on the night of the 15th il be going down to my local stillwater at around 11pm. i was planning on

plumbing the depth around some trees situated around about 10-15 foot to the left of one of the pegs.this will save

me from doing it on my return the following morning. i was then going to pre bait the plumbed area with 3 or 4 tennis

ball sized balls of groundbait, made up of 1/4 pint of castors, most of a tin of pre cooked hemp, and bound together

with pure brown crumb.

Is this a good pre baiting approach, or are there any parts that could be improved?

The following morning i was going to return to the swim at around first light. i was planning to float fish a lobworm just an

inch or so above the bottom to stop it burying into the ground, and directly over the pre baited area

Would a lobworm be a suitable bait for catching tench? bearing in mind the approach i will be taking, and the water being somewhere

between 3-5 foot deep.

i know that the lake does hold tench to around 5 or 6 pounds, so im hoping that this method will bring me one of these niced sized

fish!

If anyone knows any other tips that i could add to my method, please let me know!

thanks! :)

Hey!

I have spent a few weeks reading through the forum, and have peiced togehter a little bit of knowledge gained, in the hope

that it will catch me a nice tench, however i will still need a few pointers from you experts...

on the night of the 15th il be going down to my local stillwater at around 11pm. i was planning on

plumbing the depth around some trees situated around about 10-15 foot to the left of one of the pegs.this will save

me from doing it on my return the following morning. i was then going to pre bait the plumbed area with 3 or 4 tennis

ball sized balls of groundbait, made up of 1/4 pint of castors, most of a tin of pre cooked hemp, and bound together

with pure brown crumb.

Is this a good pre baiting approach, or are there any parts that could be improved?

The following morning i was going to return to the swim at around first light. i was planning to float fish a lobworm just an

inch or so above the bottom to stop it burying into the ground, and directly over the pre baited area

Would a lobworm be a suitable bait for catching tench? bearing in mind the approach i will be taking, and the water being somewhere

between 3-5 foot deep.

i know that the lake does hold tench to around 5 or 6 pounds, so im hoping that this method will bring me one of these niced sized

fish!

If anyone knows any other tips that i could add to my method, please let me know!

thanks! :)

Sounds good to me, you might want to be ready to fish the bait on the bottom too. A bait fished just off the bottom can be deadly for tench but if there is any undertow or wind you'll be trotting!

If you are fairly sure you can get your chosen swim on the 16th have you thought about prebaiting for longer?

Rich

Edited by Richard Capper

I'm assuming the water in question has a closed season, in which case the tench may not be ready to pick up such a big bait. If you can fish two rods, try one with the lobworm on the bottom, or maybe a couple of inches overdepth if there is a ripple (the worm won't bury into the bottom, and if it does the tench will soon dig it out again!). On the second rod, fish double caster on a size 16 hook, that may well be more successful...

I would also advocate something sweet in the groundbait, or use Sensas Lake, Van Den Eynde Expo or World Champion, Dynamite Baits' Silver Fish. Any of those will give the sweet flavour tench like.

Remember to feed some hemp or casters quite regularly, as the tench will respond to the sound of bait going in.

Good luck, let us know how it goes...

The Mahseer Trust, working for one of the world's iconic fish and the rivers they live in

www.mahseertrust.org

Fishery info for the Westcountry:
www.coarsefish-torbay.co.uk

Want to learn from Will Raison and Neil Machin?
check out
www.v2vangling.co.uk

I've never found a better Tench Groundbait than Sensas 3000 Tanches although I've not seen it for a few years now mores the pity.

I'd echo the comments about fishing the bait hard on the bottom!

Id make up a sweet groundbait as described by others and add a can of sweetcorn and also chopped works to the mix, then alternate between work and corn as bait. Id also be tempted to add some micro pellets.

good luck.

Guest tigger

I'd use red maggot or sweetcorn on the hook and if you have no joy then try a worm.

Your groundbait sounds good but i would add a bit of sweetcorn also. Good luck!