Stalking with a landing net..........

Guest Brumagem Phil

Stalking specimen fish with a landing net..........  

32 members have voted

1. 1. A bit of fun or harmful to fish and fishing?

• Totally against it, fishing should be rod and line only.
    • Not over keen on the idea but if you are not harming the fish then why not.
    • Sounds like great fun, might give it a try.
    • Not for me personally, but seems harmless enough

With reference to the possible damage that could be caused to the fish, I suspect that any sizeable carp would go absolutely berserk if netted fresh and lively. Bad enough when you get one in quickly on rod and line.

Scales ripped off, fins split, you name it....sorry Phil, what you are suggesting borders on cruelty.

Asked my Fishery manager for his comments today, his words are unprintable on here, the least offensive suggesting anyone caught doing it on any of his 20 lakes would first go for a swim, and then be marched off by the Old Bill to be charged with THEFT.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Brumagem Phil
With reference to the possible damage that could be caused to the fish, I suspect that any sizeable carp would go absolutely berserk if netted fresh and lively. Bad enough when you get one in quickly on rod and line.

Scales ripped off, fins split, you name it....sorry Phil, what you are suggesting borders on cruelty.

Asked my Fishery manager for his comments today, his words are unprintable on here, the least offensive suggesting anyone caught doing it on any of his 20 lakes would first go for a swim, and then be marched off by the Old Bill to be charged with THEFT.

Den

ROFLMAO!!!!!

Try it and see what happens to the fish instead of talking a pile of emotional nonsense!! An angler telling me that netting a fish in an approved soft specimen net is bordering on cruelty!!?? Setting the irony apart for a moment, I 've not laughed so much in ages!

As for your fishery manager......he could try that too and then HE would be the one being marched to the old bill on an assault charge. Theft of WHAT exactly? :whistling:

One or two very blinkered and closed minds around here. :yucky: How about a bit of live and let live eh?

Edited by Brumagem Phil

Interesting thread. :rolleyes:

My own concerns are that if you are targeting fish that are actively spawning. Then you might damage the fish, or cause eggs to not be fertilised. Apart from the fact that fish that are in a spawning frenzy, would not be too hard to net. (I have stood amongst such fish and put my hand on them, without causing any alarm).

Trying to net out fish normally, would be very difficult, and need a lot of stealth and patience. Much more in fact than putting out several kilos of boilies, sending a 3-4oz lead to the horizon, then sitting back to watch a TV prog', or worse still drift off into an alcohol induced sleep, while the fish hooks it's self.

As to the ethics. It's not for me, but to net, admire, then release a fish, is far less damaging than some of the sights I've seen on the banks of some fisheries, using 'legal' methods.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Guest Brumagem Phil

A balanced viewpoint at last! Very well put John, thanks for your input.

This whole business of targetting spawning fish is something I've given much thought to recently. Few if any lakes now have a closed season on them, and I wonder how detrimental this is to the fish? I note the world record carp was just found dead full of spawn and I wonder if her recent capture (and i'm sure extended stay out of the water for pics etc) had anything to do with her demise?

I've fished at a lake the past couple of evenings which has a nice bed of reeds right in front of my favoured peg. I've fished both the feeder and the float and taken fish just 3 or 4 feet from this seething mass of reeds. Last night in fact I took over the peg from a fellah who had been doing the same thing all day, so its clear that carp DO feed when spawning, just that they don't feed as often perhaps?

I'm just trying to point out that whilst one or two are critical of me netting on the basis one or two might be spawning (I don't target the ones close in thrashing in the weeds), that anyone who fishes may and june is doing just the same. I wonder if some of the dead carp I saw last night around the pool could be the result of energetic spawning followed by a 10 minute scrap whilst trying to get a bit of enrgy back by having a feed?

Food for thought anyway.

Interesting thread. :rolleyes:

My own concerns are that if you are targeting fish that are actively spawning. Then you might damage the fish, or cause eggs to not be fertilised. Apart from the fact that fish that are in a spawning frenzy, would not be too hard to net. (I have stood amongst such fish and put my hand on them, without causing any alarm).

Trying to net out fish normally, would be very difficult, and need a lot of stealth and patience. Much more in fact than putting out several kilos of boilies, sending a 3-4oz lead to the horizon, then sitting back to watch a TV prog', or worse still drift off into an alcohol induced sleep, while the fish hooks it's self.

As to the ethics. It's not for me, but to net, admire, then release a fish, is far less damaging than some of the sights I've seen on the banks of some fisheries, using 'legal' methods.

John.

Agree with the above

To be honest I've seen slobs down the commercials do worse fishing normally lol