The golden mile

stavey

As far as i am concerned there is nothing more important to the shore angler than this golden mile proposal/idea, all i seam to hear about on this forum is boat angling this and boat angling that, probably because most of these threads are written up by people who have a vested interest in it suppose?

Like a large majority of the rsa in this country i am 99% shore based and cant afford or even warrant the price of a days angling afloat, this is not an assumption its a fact!! and if there is to be any sort of future for our kids and grand kids in rsa? then things have got be sorted off our beaches and popular shore marks like piers etc first!! and foremost!! these are the areas that most people start from in this hobby, i know i did!!

So i am appealing to every org to make the golden mile the top of there agenda and every shore based rsa to do the same, i have run a few fish ins for the youngsters over the years and none of these kids took up the hobby after (as far as i know) i guess i cant blame them as most of these were very poor as far as results go, NO!! not down to my lack of angling know how commecial boys!! but more down to the overall management of our inshore waters, especially the sfc's!! imo

Is this sort of post wasted on here i wonder ? (especially tucked away in a corner of a forum were the moderaters seam to think is more appropriate rather then promoted in a part for the majority to see) probably!! but hey its not my site just my opinion, cheers..................

Edited by stavey

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

As far as i am concerned there is nothing more important to the shore angler than this golden mile proposal/idea, all i seam to hear about on this forum is boat angling this and boat angling that, probably because most of these threads are written up by people who have a vested interest in it suppose?

Like a large majority of the rsa in this country i am 99% shore based and cant afford or even warrant the price of a days angling afloat, this is not an assumption its a fact!! and if there is to be any sort of future for our kids and grand kids in rsa? then things have got be sorted off our beaches and popular shore marks like piers etc first!! and foremost!! these are the areas that most people start from in this hobby, i know i did!!

So i am appealing to every org to make the golden mile the top of there agenda and every shore based rsa to do the same, i have run a few fish ins for the youngsters over the years and none of these kids took up the hobby after (as far as i know) i guess i cant blame them as most of these were very poor as far as results go, NO!! not down to my lack of angling know how commecial boys!! but more down to the overall management of our inshore waters, especially the sfc's!! imo

Is this sort of post wasted on here i wonder ? (especially tucked away in a corner of a forum were the moderaters seam to think is more appropriate rather then promoted in a part for the majority to see) probably!! but hey its not my site just my opinion, cheers..................

It is never wasted mate, I back it 100% as the easiest way for the powers that be to demonstrate that they a} care about the environment and b} are prepared to give something back in return for a license.

There is more activity on this forum than you think mate, it just takes a worth while statement like yours to get them thinking.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

It is never wasted mate, I back it 100% as the easiest way for the powers that be to demonstrate that they a} care about the environment and b} are prepared to give something back in return for a license.

There is more activity on this forum than you think mate, it just takes a worth while statement like yours to get them thinking.

Hi ken thanks, i just dont think the golden mile has, or is being promoted enough, i did hear something about it being dropped from the inshore working groups agenda but i dont know for sure if it has or not? if it is allowed to be dropped then i think it will be a huge mistake made by all for sure, cheers..............

To introduce a Golden Mile, or even pilot areas that will lead perhaps to a Golden Mile if successful, or to start to manage some fisheries pricipally or wholly as recreational fisheries, will require some new legislation.

At the moment the Government is consulting on a White Paper for a Marine Bill, which aims to give the Government powers to bring about changes in the way that the marine environment is managed, and who for etc.

If changes are to come about in the next decade (or two), then the Marine Bill offers the best opportunity to introduce the legislation to make it possible (the Marine Bill will merely allow the Government the powers to bring in the changes, further consultations will decide if and how those powers are to be used).

You now have until just the 8th June to respond to the Marine Bill White paper consultation, by emailing your thoughts and demands to:

marinebillconsultation@defra.gsi.gov.uk

Miss this bus and there won't be another one for quite a while

(Even if the Government agrees to work towards some things contained within the eventually agreed DEFRA strategy for Recreational Sea Angling, if the legislative changes are not in place, it will still take years to change the legislation to make it possible).

From the SACN response to the white paper consultation:

Such items that need to be considered are the legislative changes needed to make the following possible.

- Management of some species of marine fish wholly or primarily as Recreational Species, perhaps with the introduction of a classification of those fish as Sports Fish.

- Where management plans are considered for the management of any species of fish, or marine ecosystem, there should be a statutory requirement to consider the impact upon Recreational Sea Fisheries, and an obligation to consider options which could enhance the Recreational Sea Fishery.

- Organisations responsible for the management of inshore fisheries should be obliged to be responsible for the proactive development of Recreational Sea Angling.

- Some areas to be defined as Recreational Sea Fishing areas, where commercial fishing is prevented, either wholly or partially, including the establishment of a ‘Golden Mile’, and protection of important Recreational Sea Angling Areas such as estuaries and coastal areas important to Recreational Sea Angling.

- The obligation, when planning coastal developments and structures, or when these are being re-furbished etc, to consider access by Recreational Sea Anglers.

- There should be provision for financially supporting organisations that provide representation of the Recreational Sea Angling Sector, much as SEAFISH exists to promote the development of the commercial fishing industry.

- Funding should be able to be made available to enterprises involved in developing Recreational Sea Fisheries.

- Fisheries Science should be obliged to also consider species of interest to the Recreational Sea Angling Sector, and the information needs of fisheries managers concerned with the development of Recreational Sea Fisheries.

- Organisations concerned with the management of marine resources should be obliged to regularly review the social and economic value of the Recreational Sea Angling sector, the potential and opportunities available from further development of the sector, publish plans for future development of the sector and review progress.

If they don't get too many responses from sea anglers and their organisations (even a couple of paragraphs in an email), you can bet that our aspirations will be dropped way down to the bottom of the list.

So, if you want to see the Golden Mile, or anything else out of this, you need to write and tell them whilst the opportunity is there to actually make the legislative changes to make all/any of that possible.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Many years ago Stavey i started sea fishing from dover, deal, herne bay piers, mainly because i wasn't good enough to fish from the shore. I do not remember catching anything of any size, so i moved onto boat fishing and have stayed ever since. So my opinions are mainly based on boat, you however have shown your commitment to shore fishing and quite rightly so have your opinion and

ideas for improvement. My only comment on that is to go for it. Can you not say do a couple of paragaphs detailing what you want and the pro's and con's regarding shore fishing, the golden mile etc and ask the mods to pin it for you wherever you consider it appropriate. I do have opinion on sfc's control and what defra want to do with the rsa and hopefully i can get my email off before time runs out. cheers.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

I have sent in my comments, they would not suit all concerned so it is up to the rest to state their opinions. :rolleyes::D

Marine Bill White Paper

Thank you for taking the time to submit a response to the Marine Bill White Paper consultation. All of the responses received will be considered in the further development of our proposals. We will continue to provide regular updates on the progress of our work on the Marine Bill via the Defra website.

The consultation period closes on Friday 8 June 2007. A summary of the responses received will be published on the Defra website in due course. All non-confidential responses will also be made available for public scrutiny through the Defra Information Resource Centre. Details of how to examine or obtain copies of the responses can be found on our website.

Regards,

Marine Bill Team

Defra

Area 2E, 3-8 Whitehall Place

London SW1A 2HH

Tel: 0207 270 8707/8711

GTN: 270 8707/8711

Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra)

Edited by Ken Davison South Wales

eat.gif

Petals Florist

A golden mile wont make any diference in most places.

It just sounds good.

you need at least a golden six miles to make any proper diference

or a compleat ban on gill nets even.

Then it might make a diference.

the golden mile is a bit like recycling youre rubbish or walking to work to save burning fossil fuels.

I have sent in my comments, they would not suit all concerned so it is up to the rest to state their opinions. :rolleyes::D

Marine Bill White Paper

Thank you for taking the time to submit a response to the Marine Bill White Paper consultation. All of the responses received will be considered in the further development of our proposals. We will continue to provide regular updates on the progress of our work on the Marine Bill via the Defra website.

The consultation period closes on Friday 8 June 2007. A summary of the responses received will be published on the Defra website in due course. All non-confidential responses will also be made available for public scrutiny through the Defra Information Resource Centre. Details of how to examine or obtain copies of the responses can be found on our website.

Regards,

Marine Bill Team

Defra

Area 2E, 3-8 Whitehall Place

London SW1A 2HH

Tel: 0207 270 8707/8711

GTN: 270 8707/8711

Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra)

Likewise done here ken.

A golden mile wont make any diference in most places.

It just sounds good.

you need at least a golden six miles to make any proper diference

or a compleat ban on gill nets even.

Then it might make a diference.

the golden mile is a bit like recycling youre rubbish or walking to work to save burning fossil fuels.

I would agree in essence but little acorns grow into oak trees, it would be a tangible starting point and show some form of interest on behalf of those imposing the Marine Bill on us.

eat.gif

Petals Florist

• 2 weeks later...