Arghhh annoying fishing trip

Errrm

I went fishing this weekend down to a nearby pond with my dad... nothing was really getting caught apart from some small perch of the bottom and small roach/rudd of the surface. Whilst having lunch my dad's float which had been left in dipped below before rising and then going under again, my dad being busy eating couldn't get to his rod so I had to pick it up.... this lead to 5 minutes of a fish charging about into trees, through lilly pads. The tackle was a 12ft match rod with 4lb mainline and 2.4lb hook length to a size 20 hook, I assumed it was one of the big tench in the pond but it was fishing really weird it was charging off and then just hangin in mid water and I was unable to move it. Finally managed to get it up in the water and found out it was a pike of about 15lb!!! After a few more minutes it came of suddenly after a small run, this annoyed me a bit because I have coped with all the big powerful runs but I assumed it had bitten the line or snapped the hook length... it turned out that the hook had pulled out, I was gutted! It would have been amazing to catch my biggest ever pike on tackle like that.

Guest Brumagem Phil

Bad luck young man, it really is tough to take when that happens. :yucky:

My guess is when you saw the fish you subconciously relaxed the level of pressure you were exerting on the fish and it managed to shed the hook. Happened to me with probably the biggest carp I've ever hooked.........played it a treat then when I saw it for the first time I must have relaxed a bit and it slipped the hook.

You know its in there now though so can target it! :thumbs:

Bad luck young man, it really is tough to take when that happens. :yucky:

My guess is when you saw the fish you subconciously relaxed the level of pressure you were exerting on the fish and it managed to shed the hook. Happened to me with probably the biggest carp I've ever hooked.........played it a treat then when I saw it for the first time I must have relaxed a bit and it slipped the hook.

You know its in there now though so can target it! :thumbs:

No it wasn't that, I lost it about 2 minutes after I first saw it, there was quite a bend in the rod when the hook pulled.

lol yeah I am tempted to head down after work tonight instead of going to the gym :-)

I once lost a big pike while dead baiting on the river ,The bite alarm all of a sudden went wild but when I struck I thought I had snagged a tree root because the pike just didn't move off the bottom,it eventually came to the surface but it got off the hook just as I got it to the bank it looked and felt about 14 to 15 lb.Iv'e caught 2pike in the same swim one was 15.4lb and the other was16.5lb so there could be more than one big one in your pond ,theres probably a few jack pike as well.

In well over 60 years of fishing, I've lost count of the number of pike hooked whilst fishing for roach, tench and the like.

On most occasions the pike have taken maggot, worm, or a small fish I was reeling in. However, I have had them on other baits, including bread and sweet corn.

If the pike has taken the bait well back into the mouth, the teeth will cut the line. If it is hooked in the front of the mouth, then it is difficult for the hook to take hold, and slipping the hook is common.

Most of the pike I have landed on such gear have been hooked in the "scissors" ie the angle of the jaw.

Dissapointing for you Errrm, I know, but at least you can cherish the memory of your encounter.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Time to crack out the pike tackle!

It is very tempting, but one of the best things about the fight was the light tackle it was on I can't really fish for it using an 18 inch wire trace with 2 size 8 trebles and 4 pound mainline :-).

I went fishing this weekend down to a nearby pond with my dad... nothing was really getting caught apart from some small perch of the bottom and small roach/rudd of the surface. Whilst having lunch my dad's float which had been left in dipped below before rising and then going under again, my dad being busy eating couldn't get to his rod so I had to pick it up.... this lead to 5 minutes of a fish charging about into trees, through lilly pads. The tackle was a 12ft match rod with 4lb mainline and 2.4lb hook length to a size 20 hook, I assumed it was one of the big tench in the pond but it was fishing really weird it was charging off and then just hangin in mid water and I was unable to move it. Finally managed to get it up in the water and found out it was a pike of about 15lb!!! After a few more minutes it came of suddenly after a small run, this annoyed me a bit because I have coped with all the big powerful runs but I assumed it had bitten the line or snapped the hook length... it turned out that the hook had pulled out, I was gutted! It would have been amazing to catch my biggest ever pike on tackle like that.

Reading your post brought back a similar instance whilst fishing on the Trent last year. Lovely day's fishing and for the first time on the river with my dad since he intrduced me to fishing more than 20 years ago. Trotting a lovely swim and pulling in half pound roach very regularly, great fun. On pulling one in a VERY big pike took hold and I battled for about 25 minutes on reasonably light tackle. Saw the beauty and she dwarfed (although I know its diffcult to judge accurately) my biggest pike of about 8 lbs and I would guess larger than my largest fish ever which was an 18lb carp about 15 years ago. As I was pulling towards the landing net almost breathless with excitement, splosh, a final run and off she came leaving a slightly scratched but otherwise fine 3/4lb roach on the hook. Words cannot explain the disappointment but possibly the best half hours fun with a rod and reel i've ever had. :uhuh::cry:

same thing happened to me, had been fishing for about 4 months and hooked into a big pike on a 12ft match rod with 4lb line on a size 20 bloody hook. i didnt get a good look at it and never realy knew what it was at the time but i suspect it was a pike, all i seen of it was a lengthy silvery body darting through the water at least 2ft so i reckon a very very close to a double figure.

i never let up on it and haveing only fishied for a short period and being fairly inexperienced it got away cause i had the drag set to high but i was amazed that it had bent the hook straight i could have used it to stich some clothes it was that straight.

i think what happened to both of us is that we have caught a roach or perch or what ever and theres been a pike following it and by chance we catch it, the rest you know.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk