Licence

Lee...

Same question asked and answered on a couple of freshwater threads.

Near as I can make out, he's happy enough to let others pay any costs associated with fishing other than rod/reel/bits/bait he uses.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Lee...:

I am all for it.

The licence could be brought from the skipper or tackle shop and paid into the governing body as with VAT or from any Post Office. For those that only go once or twice a year they could get a reduced rate of a couple of quid a day.

Creating reefs and wreck fishing sites would take a lot of consideration due to the effect that the structure would have on the local area caused by tides.

Converting trawlers to angling boats is a common thing over here in Holland and they provide revenue for the local community.

You are probably getting fed up me saying this but get rid of the wreck/reef netters and in a couple of years time fish will start showing up from our beaches, if its not too late.

Alan(nl)

:(

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Salar:

FWIW, I think the answer lies in fish farming. We farm cattle for beef, we no longer hunt them across the grassy plains. Why do we still hunt fish commercially? Wild bass have recovered partly because cheap Greek farmed bass have brought the price down. If the boffins genetically modified a cod in the same way as they have modified other farmed animals we could have a fish that has fewer bones, grows rapidly, eats SH** and could keep the nations fish-finger-eaters happy. The trawlers would tie up forever and go and do something else for a living, and we could fish for wild, undisturbed fish. Far fetched? I don't think so. Give it time....commerce wins in the end.

The only problem Salar is that farmed fish aren't fed on SH**, it takes up to 5kg of wild fish, processed into pellets, to make 1kg of farmed fish.

(And because wild fish are polluted with PCBs heavy metals etc, that gets concentrated in the pellets and makes the farme-fish even more polluted, hence the recent furore!)

The fish farmers have woken up to the fact that there will soon be an end to cheap protein, caught in nets, and are desperately working to find alternatives, with not a lot of success.

But hey! Whilst wild fish stocks are being fished down, driving up the price of farmed fish, no need to worry too much just yet.

Tight Lines - leon

Sea Anglers' Conservation Network (SACN)

http://www.anglers-net.co.uk/sacn/latest

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Satchmo:

Who earns the most profit from a week's fishing? A commercial skipper or a charter boat skipper with 10 anglers on board.

It depends a lot on the time of the year, the type of fishing etc.

A wreck netter in the months when the Cod and Pollock start to arrive on the wrecks and reefs to spawn (late Dec to end March, roughly)can make thousands of pounds a day, the best I ever made as crewman on a netter about 17 years ago was £500 a day for 10 days. It is a short season and then it was back to trawling, either making a wage or settling in debt after fuel and food costs.

The charter boat skipper has a lot of overheads and is more dependant on the weather being decent than the commercial boys, anglers being thrown around on a charter boat tend to hurt themselfs where as the commercial lads are used to it.

A charter boat business puts a lot INTO the economy.

Alan

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/