Licence

Lee...

I'll post it here as well......

How many people would buy a licence for £20 / year to go sea angling if the money went to an organisation that intended to buy commercial boats with licences...burn the licence and turn the boats into Sponsered charter boats?? Any boat not up to scratch they would be sank to form a reef for sport fishing. If the so called 1 million anglers all bought a licence then take away £1 million for admin...how many boats could be bought with £19 mil/ year, converted or sank, and how many fish would this save??

Just an idea worth considering or is it totally impossible??? Regards Lee .

Sorry to be a cynic but knowing our governement it would not be £1million admin, more like £25 million admin. Even our local harbour board spends most of its revenue collecting and checking licenses, which makes me wonder why they bother, except to keep themselves employed. At least they keep jet-skiers under some form of control but thats the only benefit I can see.

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

eyup saler nay bother.....Its just that I thought this idea 'if' licences where introduced then it would benefit all anglers and not just a few who would benefit from banning gill nets in certain areas...If it could work I know i would pay. But it is a big ask!!!

The general public only seem to care about this issue when halfwits from the commercial fishing industry come on telly whinging about their livelyhoods being destroyed by the EU. I dont want to see anybody out of a job but if thats what it takes to conserve our diminishing fish stocks then so be it. Reducing our commercial fishing fleet is the best way to conserve our fish. Unfortunately politicians are in no hurry to come up with a solution, because public opinion is with the fisherman. Whats this got to do with a license, absolutely nothing. Time for me to get of my soap box and do my disapearing act.

[ 12. February 2004, 07:58 PM: Message edited by: Sythor ]

OK Sythor I agree about the commercials whinging but my 'theory' will reduce the fishing fleet and 'pay off' the fishermen....the forsaid skippers and crew could work the charter boats??? like I said this is an idea that may work... a license may be a bad idea at the moment but in the future we may live to regret not doing something......I am not saying this is the answer, but something along these lines.....Give the 'boffins' a thought and in 6 months time they will come out with their own idea saying ' if we..........Regards Lee

FWIW, I think the answer lies in fish farming. We farm cattle for beef, we no longer hunt them across the grassy plains. Why do we still hunt fish commercially? Wild bass have recovered partly because cheap Greek farmed bass have brought the price down. If the boffins genetically modified a cod in the same way as they have modified other farmed animals we could have a fish that has fewer bones, grows rapidly, eats SH** and could keep the nations fish-finger-eaters happy. The trawlers would tie up forever and go and do something else for a living, and we could fish for wild, undisturbed fish. Far fetched? I don't think so. Give it time....commerce wins in the end.

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk