Flying Bream!

KAYC

Well I have seen it all now,After 38 years fishing it is not often you have a new / strange experience. Went fishing at a Kent lake that is stocked with a variety of species and began getting bites on corn after an hour feeding hemp and corn, a succession of F1s and Tench followed interspersed with the odd Bream now here is the odd thing Three of the Bream I caught "leaped" (not just jumped) from the water on hooking in excess of 18" and one of them leaped three times they then all came in like normal Bream,all around three pounds. Has anyone else experienced this before? :blink:

Well I have seen it all now,After 38 years fishing it is not often you have a new / strange experience. Went fishing at a Kent lake that is stocked with a variety of species and began getting bites on corn after an hour feeding hemp and corn, a succession of F1s and Tench followed interspersed with the odd Bream now here is the odd thing Three of the Bream I caught "leaped" (not just jumped) from the water on hooking in excess of 18" and one of them leaped three times they then all came in like normal Bream,all around three pounds. Has anyone else experienced this before? :blink:

Jumping bream? Most bream I catch seem to have trouble swimming nevermind flying!

Rich

If it was shallow water, and there were lots of fish in the area, they would have jumped to get clear. I've seen it in the few times I fished really shallow, and there is a huge head of fish. I've had them on the fly as well, and anyone that says they don't fight should try one on a fly rod. They do fight much harder is shallow water I find, seems they really only have one direction to travel.

I've had jumping 2lb ish bream several times from one water I used to fish. They jumped vertically like a rocket immediately after hooking when floatfishing on the bottom in open water about 8ft deep. A very strange experience! (And no, it wasn't overzealous striking :rolleyes:)

I hooked a Bream about 3 to 4lbs on the Royal Military Canal at Hythe a few years ago that did exactly the same, leapt straight out of the water and then came in like a wet sack, I thought it was a one off.

My best Bream story is the one that took a 8" Jerk bait, cleanly hooked in the mouth, it must have had ideas of grandeur.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

I've had it happen a few times on the Cemex waters at Yateley - quite big bream too - 6-8lbers - rather un-nerving when you've hooked one on lightish float tackle!

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

yeah i was fishing a shollow lake a few weeks ago and had a few bream to 2lb which jumped. never known it happen before.

jonny

oh well at least i didn't blank.

yeah i was fishing a shollow lake a few weeks ago and had a few bream to 2lb which jumped. never known it happen before.

Seems shallow water is the common denominator then. thanks chaps.