norfolk broads and Norwich DAA

John Weddup

I also have just returned from a thursday night till saturday lunchtime trip.

Fished all day friday on river bure near thurne mouth and caught quality roach to 1lbs and a few skimmers. My friend who came with me was a bit keener and started really early and had several bream to 6lbs. We struggled to lift his net out. He heavily baited with at least 20 balls of groundbait and feeder over top.

Fished this morning till 12 and had lots of big skimmers about a 1lb to 1.5 lbs. Had also several roach to 1lbs again.

There were not hundeds of small roach but often this early they do not show. We had lots of quality roach and what was better was the amount of small skimers form 8oz up to 1.5lb. There were loads so the future looks good.

john

post-12490-1183060794_thumb.jpg

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also have just returned from a thursday night till saturday lunchtime trip.

Fished all day friday on river bure near thurne mouth and caught quality roach to 1lbs and a few skimmers. My friend who came with me was a bit keener and started really early and had several bream to 6lbs. We struggled to lift his net out. He heavily baited with at least 20 balls of groundbait and feeder over top.

Fished this morning till 12 and had lots of big skimmers about a 1lb to 1.5 lbs. Had also several roach to 1lbs again.

There were not hundeds of small roach but often this early they do not show. We had lots of quality roach and what was better was the amount of small skimers form 8oz up to 1.5lb. There were loads so the future looks good.

john

Hi John

First time for me on a web chat site, I love the broads and have fished mainly the Thurne area up as far as deep dyke with some great results in particular last Sept. Can you tell me if the broads themselves .i.e. south Walsham, ranworth and Salhouse fish well this time of year or is on the main river the best?

Paul Allen

Hi Paul

Out of the three broads you have mentioned the one I would plump for the Bream is South Walsham. Theres a shoal in the broad that circulates between the outer and inner broad at night and another that must run down the Fleet Dyke from the river.

Therefore if you fish as close to the confluence of the dyke and the broad as you can and let fly with a good dump of groundbait before dusk you can stand a chance of a bumper haul to say the least. Catches of up to 200lb have been known.

As for the other broads on the Bure system such as Wroxham and Ranworth e.t.c, they will all produce in their own rights at certain times but can be cyclical and hit and miss.

But for me personally, I would prefer to fish the main river over a night session at a place of feature such as a confluence of a main dyke and the river.

I think the key is putting in as much bait as you can muster. These Broads Bream shoals aren't small and can quickly lose interest...

Anywhere on the main river from Horning to Acle has a chance of producing the goods..

Don't forget The Yare though, which could lay claim to being the most prolific of the lot...

Hope that helps..

Dan T..

By the way thats a fair lump you have in the top picture. Is it from close to the confluence of Deep Dyke and Hickling Broad??

Hi John

First time for me on a web chat site, I love the broads and have fished mainly the Thurne area up as far as deep dyke with some great results in particular last Sept. Can you tell me if the broads themselves .i.e. south Walsham, ranworth and Salhouse fish well this time of year or is on the main river the best?

Paul Allen

Hi Dan

Thanks for the tips I have catch on fleet dyke before now but have little success on the broad itself your tips will help I’m sure we are going up for the week this coming weekend so weather permitting I will try the main broad and Dyke area again.

The picture was at the mouth of Hickling last Sept, we had over 400Ib over 3 nights between 3 of us, a great weekend that was. We go every year in June with family and then lad’s trip early Sept. The feed back seems very positive after the recent fish kill so fingers crossed.

Cheers

Paul

Hi Dan

Thanks for the tips I have caught on fleet dyke before now but have little success on the broad itself, your tips will help I’m sure. We are going up for the week this coming weekend so weather permitting I will try the main broad and Dyke area again.

The picture was at the mouth of Hickling last Sept, we had over 400Ib over 3 nights between 3 of us, a great weekend that was. We go every year in June with family and then lad’s trip early Sept. The feed back seems very positive after the recent fish kill so fingers crossed.

Cheers

Paul

hey guys, i will also be travelling to the broads this coming weekend, and staying until the following weekend. Im really just going to be after a few good days fishing around the wroxham/horning area. Im not after specimens but it would be nice to maybe catch a 2-3lb bream or two.

Iv had some great advice from other forum members but im just wandering if the extra water will jeopordise my chances of a decent bag of fish or not.

Also has anyone seen a reliable(ish!) forecast for next week (7th-14th)?

cheers

Hi rich

if you are after a pleasure easy relaxing fishing trip and want a few fish you cannot go wrong with groundbait feeder down middle.

Put some particle in feeder, and use a fairly heavy groundbait mix although at wroxham end tide is much less than towards and beyond horning.

I would use bread sweetcorn or caster, maggot or worm as baits. Start on corn or bread or mix it around as cocktails ie corn and worm, caster worm etc. During the day the bream can be more difficult but are still there and can be caught. Large breadflake has worked well for me in daytime also large roach will take bait aswell.

I like to put flavours in my bait when not balling it in bigtime and you won't go far wrong with brasem. You can buy a packet of powder just add it to mix. Some of the best really good bream mixes already have loads in.

For particle I use lots of boiled wheat its cheap and easy to prepare also hemp and my new secret particle also cheap and very very good.

john

The EA have very sophisticated American survey equipment, so darn sensitive that it can tell you exactly how many, of which species and how big they are! A pike anglers dream machine, I now know the whereabouts of a few very big fish!!!!! Anyway, what it means is that they have come up with an estimated 30% loss of smaller fish on the Thurne.

Any around the Wroxham / Dilham way Peter? ;)

You could PM me if you like!

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

hey guys, i will also be travelling to the broads this coming weekend, and staying until the following weekend. Im really just going to be after a few good days fishing around the wroxham/horning area. Im not after specimens but it would be nice to maybe catch a 2-3lb bream or two.

Iv had some great advice from other forum members but im just wandering if the extra water will jeopordise my chances of a decent bag of fish or not.

Also has anyone seen a reliable(ish!) forecast for next week (7th-14th)?

cheers

Hi Rich..

John Weddups advice is sound..

If I were you and were fishing around the Wroxham - Horning way. I would give it a go at somewhere like Woodbastwick. Starting as early in the morning as you can. The boat traffic round that way can be paticularly heavy and theres a definite turn off through the afternoon until early evening..

Woodbastwick has 15 or so fishing platforms out a few yards into the river which make fishing comfortable.

One thing you could do to watch, if you fish Woodbastwick is the dykes next to the approach road as they can sometimes flood a little over the road..

Don't be shy with the bait..

Boozlebear - I'd give the Dilham area a swerve on The Ant if you're after Big Pike.. But There will be Big Pike Spread out all along the Bure and they're pretty darn mobile..

Paul a allen - I thought that spot looked familiar. As soon as every thing starts to quiten down in the evening that area starts to scream, Bream.

At this time of the year I'd fish the main rivers over the broads. At the other end of Fleet Dyke opposite St Bennets Abbey would be a better bet than either the dyke or the broad..

Hope all the prospective trips go well..