norfolk broads and Norwich DAA

John Weddup

Hoping to get stuck into my summer fishing on the broads as usual soon. has anyone noticed if the numbers of roach are looking down after fish kill last autumn. I was at thurne mouth a couple of weeks ago and did not see any topping but they may not have spread out along the river by then.

Can the Norwich and district AA club cards be bought from tackleshops if so where. It can be a nuisance for me to go into Norwich as when I drive up (80 mls) It can be early or late and I want to get fishing not shopping.

I have posted it to secretary before but did not join last year and have lost previous years card with details.

Any help would be most appreciated

thanks

John

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The EA have very sophisticated American survey equipment, so darn sensitive that it can tell you exactly how many, of which species and how big they are! A pike anglers dream machine, I now know the whereabouts of a few very big fish!!!!! Anyway, what it means is that they have come up with an estimated 30% loss of smaller fish on the Thurne.

Thanks for info Chris much appreciated. Don't know why I missed joining last year its so cheap. Only fish waters a few times mainly coldharbour if its a windy day as you can get down that bank and be sheltered whereas the bure I fish at oby the wind normally comes staright at you.

Peter, glad to see mainly small fish died as the stocks of roach and bream have been improving no end over the last few years. This might actually help me to catch the bigger roach that are now also about in numbers.

Thanks for all replies

John

I must have missed the news of a fish kill last year :( - What was the cause ? The only thing i could think of was maybe something to do with an influx of salt water ?

I'm on the Broads for a week starting on June 18th ( My companbions wanted to go June 11th but i refused <_< ) getting a cruiser from Stalham.....can't wait :clap2:

I must have missed the news of a fish kill last year :( - What was the cause ? The only thing i could think of was maybe something to do with an influx of salt water ?

I'm on the Broads for a week starting on June 18th ( My companbions wanted to go June 11th but i refused <_< ) getting a cruiser from Stalham.....can't wait :clap2:

It was indeed down to an influx of saltwater, a combination of a very high tide and a stiff North Easterly which helped push the water further down the rivers..

Peter is right in suggesting the Thurne was the worst hit of the rivers but there were also kills on the Yare around Brundall and Upton and South Walsham on the Bure..

I walked the banks of the Bure to Upton Boat Dyke on the afternoon of the surge and witnessed large numbers of dead Bream and Roach in the river and the dyke itself and many more flapping on the surface.. I did a DIY rescue job on at least 100-150 Skimmers and Roach, which now reside in a dyke thats runs parrellel to the river.. It is a shame to see but the Broads have always been at the mercy of the sea..

It'll be interesting to see what the new season brings as regards catches..

It was indeed down to an influx of saltwater, a combination of a very high tide and a stiff North Easterly which helped push the water further down the rivers..

Peter is right in suggesting the Thurne was the worst hit of the rivers but there were also kills on the Yare around Brundall and Upton and South Walsham on the Bure..

I walked the banks of the Bure to Upton Boat Dyke on the afternoon of the surge and witnessed large numbers of dead Bream and Roach in the river and the dyke itself and many more flapping on the surface.. I did a DIY rescue job on at least 100-150 Skimmers and Roach, which now reside in a dyke thats runs parrellel to the river.. It is a shame to see but the Broads have always been at the mercy of the sea..

It'll be interesting to see what the new season brings as regards catches..

Thanks for the reply DanT . In a perverse way , although any fish kill is distressing , if its a natural occurrence as opposed to a man-made catastrophe , its easier to understand and come to terms with . I love fishing the Broads and rivers , having been going on holiday there since i was 9 or 10 ( wow !!! nearly 30 years now :blink: ) so any bad news does affect me . Still , i'm really looking fwd to next week . I'll let you know how i got on :thumbs:

Thanks for info on NDAA cheque is in the post.

Nomadpaul hope you enjoy your holiday and look forward to you reporting back. I hope to get up this saturday for one day but It might have to wait till next week the way things are going.

Dant disapointed to hear about the bream as Upton is very close to were I fish at Oby. Must say that stocks were very good so hopefully it will still be good fishing.

I wonder if the 2 guys that I read reports about at the start of every season will fish this year. They seem to fish end of upton dyke first day of season and have huge bag of bream.

good luck

John