Ok transducer problems

robq

I am writing this message as a warning to others not to make the same expensive mistakes that I have done today !!

Last week my hummingbird 565 arrived and as I didnt yet have the transducer boot for my prowler 4.5 elite, I rigged a temporary setup as descibed in other posts by cable tying the transducer cable under tension to the shackle just above the cupholder. This worked fine with no problems.

Today my OK transducer boot arrived , great I thought now I can mount it properly, however on inspection the standard tranducer which was supposed to fit the boot didnt by a long way and the transom mount was way too big to fit insider the boot ???

Time for a bit of surgery to the transducer and boot I thought to get it to fit, I had seen other threads with pics of chopped transducer brackets so thought it would be ok !! After an hour of trimming and messing about it was obvious it wasnt going to work and the rubber boot was falling to bits, seemingly made of the softest, crumbliest rubber known to man !! In the end I realised my only course of action was to seal them together with silicone. This I did and left it to set for the afternoon.

Having just fitted the new boot with transducer to the yak It is apparent that the tranducer is now knackered as it is reading 140 degrees fahrenheit and the depth readings are all over the place. I seperated the boot and transducer and cleaned it all off to see if it made any difference which it did not.

I guess the morale of this story is to not believe all that you read on manufacturers websites about compatibility with other companies products !!

Looks like the credit card will be coming out again on monday for a new transducer and fitting kit, anyone know the cheapest place ??

Cheers

One not very happy yakker :angry::angry:

Hi Rob

sorry to hear your misfortune.

When I bought my Humminbird FF it was supplied with a transom mount transducer.

I contacted OK and they supplied me with the boot via my local dealer.

The transducer and boot were a perfect fit and therefore something must have changed in the supply.

I suggest you try to contact Andrew at Johnson Outdoor as he has pointed me in the right direction on a number of occasions and quite often views and posts on this site

Kevin :thumbs:

Hi Rob

sorry to hear your misfortune.

When I bought my Humminbird FF it was supplied with a transom mount transducer.

I contacted OK and they supplied me with the boot via my local dealer.

The transducer and boot were a perfect fit and therefore something must have changed in the supply.

I suggest you try to contact Andrew at Johnson Outdoor as he has pointed me in the right direction on a number of occasions and quite often views and posts on this site

Kevin :thumbs:

Not sure about other sounder makers but i have a Garmin 168 GPS sounder and it clearly states in the manual and on their website that bonding the transducer to the Hull must be done with Non Silicone based adhesives ...

Not sure about other sounder makers but i have a Garmin 168 GPS sounder and it clearly states in the manual and on their website that bonding the transducer to the Hull must be done with Non Silicone based adhesives ...

Thanks Volusian, the hummingbird transducers fit into a specially made scupper hole in the bottom of the hull of the new 4.5 elite, the problem was the compatibility of the transducer bracket with the boot/bracket that fits in the scupper hole.

Anyway problem now solved !! A big thanks to Andrew at Johnson outdoors for all of your help.

Basically I was foolish enough to order my FF from the US without realising the issues with vat, import tax, extra postal charges and CE markings. Also that US versions may have slightly different transducer brackets !! By the time I had recieved mine 2 weeks after ordering ( and I was lucky to recieve it at all with no CE markings ) the extra costs incurred saved me virtually nothing. Also if I have a problem with it in the future my garauntee is virtualy useless as it is with the seller in the US.

I would definitely not recommend buying from the states even if you are making a big saving, there are lots of other factors to consider. No doubt some poeple may say that they have been ok with no problems and big savings but after my experience I shall be buying from the uk from now on.

What with a dodgy Sat-Nav and now the tales of woe with your fishfinder I reckon you are Jonah Rob! If I see you out of Flamborough I'll paddle like Hell to Cleethorpes before disaster strikes again. :D

Regards, Clive

What with a dodgy Sat-Nav and now the tales of woe with your fishfinder I reckon you are Jonah Rob! If I see you out of Flamborough I'll paddle like Hell to Cleethorpes before disaster strikes again. :D

Ha ha, I guess my luck has got to change sometime :rolleyes:

I have the Humminbird 565 and the transducer is/or should be Humminbird's standard puck the XHS 9 20 T which is fitted to many of their products, this puck should fit perfectly in the OK transducer boot, this is a stupid question, but did you have the puck around the correct way when trying to fit, it looks as if it fits one way, but actually fits the other.

When out of the water some of your readings, especially depth will be erratic to say the least, especially if the kayak is laying on the ground with the transducer close to the tarmac, this could also account for your wacky temperature reading as well.

Good luck with your next attempt.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

I have the Humminbird 565 and the transducer is/or should be Humminbird's standard puck the XHS 9 20 T which is fitted to many of their products, this puck should fit perfectly in the OK transducer boot, this is a stupid question, but did you have the puck around the correct way when trying to fit, it looks as if it fits one way, but actually fits the other.

When out of the water some of your readings, especially depth will be erratic to say the least, especially if the kayak is laying on the ground with the transducer close to the tarmac, this could also account for your wacky temperature reading as well.

Good luck with your next attempt.

SM :)

No mate the transducer temp is no good and has been damaged, it is still reading the depths ok after stripping all of the silicone off and testing the other day. After speaking to johnsons they confirmed that the newer US models have a newer different shape transducer bracket which is why it didnt fit, OK are in the process of designing the moulds for the new boot at the moment. the bracket on the newer transducer is a totally different shape. As I said it serves me right by trying to save a few pennies by buying from the US !! All sorted now though after a bit more expediture !!

Rob

Don't reject buying from overseas!!

I'm careful what and where I buy things from.

I've ordered things from the usa, portugal and spain. Uk prices are often a huge rip off! Its obviously worth ordering things together with friends as the postage rate usually doesn't differ much for larger orders.

HOWEVER! ... there is something said about buying from UK companies. If you expect possible potential problems (electrical goods) you can't beat the aftersales service of a local company.

I did buy a fishfinder and 2 x GPS last time I was in the usa, but tested the GPS units prior to coming home. Saved over £150!

A few companies price fix! , and usa dealers will not supply to the UK. But then there are always the ebay sellers. Just take care choosing your seller.

I totally agree Pav ..... i recently purchased 2 Gaspachi hatches from the US and including carriage was less than half the price than the cheapest i could source in the UK .... and they arrived in under a week ..! ... ill buy US again for definite ..!