MFA, DEFRA and NESFC MEETING WITH ANGLERS IN SCARBOROUGH TONIGHT.

glennk

Working from memory.

Significant points.

1. Poor turn out of 7 anglers from the whole region
  2. Discussion on bass fishing took up a large amount of time
  3. Marine bill consultation closed last week. Now waiting for Ben Bradshawes thoughts.
  4. RSA strategy consultation will hopefully take place by late summer
  5. Defra acknowledged that communication with anglers is currently poor. They requested that anyone wanting to recieve information from them about RSA strategy etc should provide contact details either an email address or home address. It was suggested that defra contact all tackle shops with future details of consultations.
  6. I suggested DEFRA pay sea angler magazine to carry an article about the rsa strategy and suggested they employ someone to write the article in laymans terms. I suggested they pay as it is unlikely that sea angler will run their press releases free of charge (based on them charging BASS organisation £2000 to publish their press release on bass consultation).
  7. North eastern sea fisheries committee representative spoke out saying he believed anglers catches should be restricted and that bag limits for anglers should be introduced.

Sure there was more than that but cant remember. If you were there and think I have things wrong then please tell me. Also please add anything I missed.

Edited by glennk

Working from memory.

Significant points.

1. Poor turn out of 7 anglers from the whole region
  2. Discussion on bass fishing took up a large amount of time
  3. Marine bill consultation closed last week. Now waiting for Ben Bradshawes thoughts.
  4. RSA strategy consultation will hopefully take place by late summer
  5. Defra acknowledged that communication with anglers is currently poor. They requested that anyone wanting to recieve information from them about RSA strategy etc should provide contact details either an email address or home address. It was suggested that defra contact all tackle shops with future details of consultations.
  6. I suggested DEFRA pay sea angler magazine to carry an article about the rsa strategy and suggested they employ someone to write the article in laymans terms. I suggested they pay as it is unlikely that sea angler will run their press releases free of charge (based on them charging BASS organisation £2000 to publish their press release on bass consultation).
  7. North eastern sea fisheries committee representative spoke out saying he believed anglers catches should be restricted and that bag limits for anglers should be introduced.

Sure there was more than that but cant remember. If you were there and think I have things wrong then please tell me. Also please add anything I missed.

:clap2: Only pay Sea Angler! So if you don't read it you don't find out. Surely it would be better for them to publicise it in ALL sea angling publications, or is that TOO dificult for them, after all, there are only 4. :angry:

Hi Norman, It wasnt like that at all :) . All sea fishing publications were mentioned and it was said a press release will go to all at the appropriate times. One of the panel specifically mentioned yours as being one willing to run articles on conservation and politics etc along with TSf. It was me who suggested they pay Sea angler because I felt they were unlikey to publish anything at all if you didn't give them some cash whereas the likes of yourself are more welcoming to such material.

Edited by glennk

They will get what they deserve Ian. The turn out was s***e. The amusing thing was the amount of time spent discussing bass. Nicola Clarke must have been told that the area was more about cod fishing as she kept trying to ask about that subject (she did this several times) but on each occasion the topic went back to bass and nets on beaches etc (the usual stuff). Miss Clarke will probably have gone away from the meeting thinking all those lads are interested in are bass, there are no cod anglers up in the north east - who told me that was wrong !!!.

Also quite worrying was the stance of members of the NESFC who said they supported bag limits and wanted to see them introduced. I lost my cool at that point.

Hi Norman, It wasnt like that at all :) . All sea fishing publications were mentioned and it was said a press release will go to all at the appropriate times. One of the panel specifically mentioned yours as being one willing to run articles on conservation and politics etc along with TSf. It was me who suggested they pay Sea angler because I felt they were unlikey to publish anything at all if you didn't give them some cash whereas the likes of yourself are more welcoming to such material.

:clap2: Thanks for explaining that Glenn, I still think that SA are immoral if they'll only print stuff on conservation if they get paid for it. What if all the publications say " hang on a minute, why are we printing this for nothing when SA get paid for it"? :angry: