Rod Holders - Bargain Advice and how I extended mine

gilbo

Didn't want to spend a lot on rodholders last year and ended up buying some cheaper ones. They are very good and do what the others do. Only trouble is I could not get any rod extenders to lift them up.

The mounts where fitted and I was stuck with them and looked and looked for extensions that might work with them. :wallbash:

As you can see they are in the front of the foot well but when a rod is inserted they end up on your feet or you have to lay them down.

PA120024.jpg

I have looked at them and chewed over a number of ideas, then it came to me.

get a second pair and use the mounts and some solid alluminium round bar 10mm.

Set about cutting the round geared notch off the second set. reamed the untouched mounts out a bit and drilled out the base that has been cut down. 10mm alluminium bar fitted snug and with a dab of strong resin they are locked absolutley solid. A 16" piece of 4mm bungee and a clip and cable tie and they are the business.

Dry tested them and they are super strong and very stable with no rock or wobble in them. They still remain fully adjustable.

DSCF0668.jpg

Now I can sit comfortably and happily with the rods out my feet and at hand.

Here is the project costs compared to Scotty Holder (prices from kayak web site):-

Scotty Power Lock Rod Holder £25 each * 2 = £50

Scotty Extender £20 each * 2 = £40

Postage £6 = £6

Total £96.00 :blink:

This build

4 Rod Holders (Glasgow Angling Centre) £30

1m 10mm solid Alluminium Round (BQ) £5

Postage £5.75

Epoxy Splat 30p

Total £41.05 :thumbs:

And you end up with some spare mounts and two spare main holders - always useful for spares in future.

:thumbs:

Hope anyone stressed by the price of some rod holders may try this and save a few quid.

They do look good and are very, very strong.

Edited by gilbo

Didn't want to spend a lot on rodholders last year and ended up buying some cheaper ones. They are very good and do what the others do. Only trouble is I could not get any rod extenders to lift them up.

The mounts where fitted and I was stuck with them and looked and looked for extensions that might work with them. :wallbash:

As you can see they are in the front of the foot well but when a rod is inserted they end up on your feet or you have to lay them down.

PA120024.jpg

I have looked at them and chewed over a number of ideas, then it came to me.

get a second pair and use the mounts and some solid alluminium round bar 10mm.

Set about cutting the round geared notch off the second set. reamed the untouched mounts out a bit and drilled out the base that has been cut down. 10mm alluminium bar fitted snug and with a dab of strong resin they are locked absolutley solid. A 16" piece of 4mm bungee and a clip and cable tie and they are the business.

Dry tested them and they are super strong and very stable with no rock or wobble in them. They still remain fully adjustable.

DSCF0668.jpg

Now I can sit comfortably and happily with the rods out my feet and at hand.

Here is the project costs compared to Scotty Holder (prices from kayak web site):-

Scotty Power Lock Rod Holder £25 each * 2 = £50

Scotty Extender £20 each * 2 = £40

Postage £6 = £6

Total £96.00 :blink:

This build

4 Rod Holders (Glasgow Angling Centre) £30

1m 10mm solid Alluminium Round (BQ) £5

Postage £5.75

Epoxy Splat 30p

Total £41.05 :thumbs:

And you end up with some spare mounts and two spare main holders - always useful for spares in future.

Hope anyone stressed by the price of some rod holders may try this and save a few quid.

They do look good and are very, very strong.

nice one gilbo , neat job too :clap3::clap3::clap3::1a:

jerseytrev

LOCATION JERSEY C.I.

kayak ok prowler angler 13 (yellow) NZ

Nice work Gilbo :thumbs: ,how long are the extenders?

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

They will lift them up 8 1/2" - which I hope will be fine.

Think this is the same as the scotty extender height so thats what I followed. Could have made them shorter or longer.

Wife advised that 8 1/2" was fine with her too. :rolleyes:

They will lift them up 8 1/2" - which I hope will be fine.

Think this is the same as the scotty extender height so thats what I followed. Could have made them shorter or longer.

Wife advised that 8 1/2" was fine with her too. :rolleyes:

Neat job Gilbo :thumbs: Not meaning to steal your thunder, but I had exactly the same idea a while back. I'd bought the second rod holder to canabilise, but before I got round to doing the job the first one fell apart through corrosion at the screw tightener <_< (mine were Fladen cheapos), so I opted for a pair of Ram rocket launchers instead.

Might still give it a go in future though, as I've still got a base mount on the yak and I hardly ever use the rod holder. Could be worth checking those screws and slapping some vaseline on them occasionally. ;)

nice job :thumbs:

Lat/Long :- N50°58.366 W001°26.468

I must go down to the sea again

To the lonely sea and sky

I left my shoes and socks there

I wonder if they're dry?

Neat job Gilbo :thumbs: Not meaning to steal your thunder, but I had exactly the same idea a while back. I'd bought the second rod holder to canabilise, but before I got round to doing the job the first one fell apart through corrosion at the screw tightener <_< (mine were Fladen cheapos), so I opted for a pair of Ram rocket launchers instead.

Might still give it a go in future though, as I've still got a base mount on the yak and I hardly ever use the rod holder. Could be worth checking those screws and slapping some vaseline on them occasionally. ;)

They are stainless steel and have been used several times with no signs of any corrosion. I always drag the hose pipe out after a trip and everything gets a good wash down in clean water. Like all things if they are left salty then they will soon corrode away - sounds like them Fladden ones are a poor build to corrode away.

I also always use a bit of WD40 on terminals and fasteners to keep them good.

I dont understand how the price of some rod holders can be justified. Almost 25% added to the cost of a kayak!

They are stainless steel and have been used several times with no signs of any corrosion. I always drag the hose pipe out after a trip and everything gets a good wash down in clean water. Like all things if they are left salty then they will soon corrode away - sounds like them Fladden ones are a poor build to corrode away.

I was surprised, them being Fladen and all, though; I've got one of their rods, which is excellent.

I also always use a bit of WD40 on terminals and fasteners to keep them good.

Vaseline's better apparently

I dont understand how the price of some rod holders can be justified. Almost 25% added to the cost of a kayak!

Couldn't agree more. :thumbs: