Fishing News (Again)

Leon Roskilly

Bloody hell here we go again,

If the quotas were set at a realistic amount there would not be any need to land black fish.

It looks like sour grapes, the fish merchant in the report was pi##ed because he never got offered any.

Most quota is in the hands of fat cat traders,@spring@ I would have thought you would have encouraged black fish, anything to get at fat cats,

Big Cod It must be a waste of time comeing to Whitby for a charter trip then, as there are no fish left.

Leon I'll send you a PM.

I fish to live and live to fish.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jay_con

Lol I was waiting for u 2. Only mr Hardy to comment now.

Wurzel as im sure your aware Quota's are set at that level for a reason, not because someone decided to give you lot hard time.

Can you see them sitting in brussels in Dec thinking

" cant think of anything decent to do, Fish stocks are doing just fine, infact thier all increasing, so lets play a few games just to **** wurzel and his m8s off. I know lets reduce quota's"

Jaffa,

you are further north. I far as I am aware the Peter Head boats have never had much trouble finding cod.

Water temprature was down to the lowest for 10 years this spring, Anybody want to bet the cod don't have a better spawning year.

Due to colder water some large cod moved closer to the shore this year, the best we've had was two days ago at 31.8 lb,

No big fish left, well pahaps there ain't now.

I fish to live and live to fish.

big_cod:

jaffa the idea of a 12mile limit round shetland is a very good idea, as mr meade said years of incentertive practices have led to point that nature reserve at sea would be a good thing,sounds like the grounds have been hammered ,if had to mention a 12mile limit here a3rd world war would break out conservation is a dirty word most dont know the meaning ,but a 12mile limit is just what we need here these grounds down here were probabley the richest grounds on the east coast we have a hell of a lot of natural reefs ideal for cod but if you see the state of the stock now its very sad its been allowed to be butchered but tottally over fished by  english and scotch boats anybody who keeps saying the  stocks are ok are bloody idiots and that is putting it mildly, jaffa copious was sold to a whitby skipper and is now fishing out of whitby a nice vessel but when you look at the size of this vessel you can see why the fishing is in the way it is, a grand boat like that towing 3mile off oh dear bigger and more powerfull boats chasing less and less fish, but dont worry  there is tons of fish ive just read the fishing news i new i was dreaming.

Big Cod, I have never seen the Copious as far as I know. Is it the usual 80ft plus with full shelter deck that the Shetlanders used? If it is I agree with you that a boat like that does not belong 3miles off Whitby. Ask yourself why all the other fishermen don't get a say in what boats and gear gets used on their local grounds. Would rockhoppers or pair trawling have ever got started if it had been put to a vote among all the commercials working Whitby?

I could see a scheme like that actually happening in Shetland, though as you say anything similar will face a lot of opposition in many mainland areas.

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Leon, the fish merchant action will certainly put the cat among the pigeons up here. Be good to see a full public enquiry that looked into the whole issue of the quota system, what's gone wrong and why.

You can rant on about all fishermen being liars and cheats, stealing from the common resource (effectively no longer actually a common resource at all, but a tracable commodity thanks to the CFP and quota system)but you miss the whole point.

A system was imposed on fishermen that they just did not believe in. Throwing decent fish back dead to meet some target set in dirty deals done between EU fisheries ministers was never going to be adhered to. That was obvious from the very start, way back in the 1980's. Combine that with zero effective enforcement and surprise, surprise look what happens.

Any system that's actually going to work has to work with the belief set of those communities. Many fishermen, even in 1990, refused to sail on a Sunday. It would not have been impossible to have got all, mobile gear, fishing at weekends banned then. Same with Christmas and new Year. Inshore grounds off the likes of Whitby and Arbroath, could have been closed to all mobile gear. Ban heavy gear like rockhoppers There were so many easy to enforce ways to get effort reduced and really help stocks. Instead we introduced the quota system :(

Douglas Adams should have written a Hitchhikers guide to fisheries management ; it would have been just as surreal and funny.

@Spring@ If your looking for Laural and Hardy try Brussels. They might be a bit busy though, as Spain has just realised it doesn't actually know how many fishing boats it has, so is going to do an aerial survey to find out. That's a comforting thought for us all.

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Guest stevie cop

Perhaps Wurzel can correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding of the quota system is this. Each fisherman has his quota. However, if he wants to catch more fish, he can buy or lease more quota. That means that the quota is there, it just isn't being passed down to the fishermen. It is being held by the "fat cats". If quotas were set to protect fish stocks, you would think that they would set them at maximum levels for the fishermen to catch. What happens to the quota that doesn't get soild each year? And why is so much going to the "fat cats" to sell?