Fishing News (Again)

Leon Roskilly

My god I actually agree with you @spring@ ! Must be the fumes from the adhesive I'm working with atm :D

@spring@ its not just the problem of illegal landings the system has produced. In the early days that just did'nt happen. But a box of small haddock was worth say £16 and jumbos £30. No prizes for guessing how the proportions of each changed once the quota sytem started... :( It actually increased the number of fish being killed. Crazy.

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is the same virtually worldwide.

Under different management and enforcement systems.

Too many people, too efficiently (and increasingly so), hunting (now) too few fish.

If North Sea cod were 'restored' and 'properly' managed, it could sustainably support a harvest of more cod every year than now swims in the North Sea.

But we took out the 'capital' because we could, and now things have become difficult (global warming etc), there isn't enough capital+interest to keep it going.

(Except where Wurzel fishes and there it's teeming with fish. :) )

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Its the "virtually" bit that's important Leon. Look at Faroe and Norway. The management regime can make a huge difference but it has to be practical and involve the fishermen themselves.

Faroe and Norway are not in the CFP of course so can do whatever they think will work, rather than what deal can be cobbled together by horse-trading fisheries ministers.

Guest jay_con

If a change of system wouldnt work then how can we make them implement this one because it certainly aint working at present.

I'm not sure they can enforce the current system @spring@. Its so flawed it should just be binned. IMO sensible measures would include:

Scrap the quota system and stop trying to protect individual species in multispecies fisheries.

Introduce an effort based system and reward boats that switch to sustainable methods with more days at sea than the others. Introduce very local control of inshore grounds, and make damn sure local fishermen have the power to block a new gear development,like rockhoppers or pair trawl, being used in their area.

Even ban the carrying of certain gear like rockhoppers and pair trawl.

Go ask the Norwegians how to run inspections at sea and copy.

Introduce no measure that spoils the data the fisheries scientists get. make sure you can enforce something before making it a rule.

Guest stevie cop

I said black fish = unsold quota, Jaffa said black fish = undeclared landings. Same thing really.

If the fishermen who land black fish actually bought the quota to enable them to land it legally, all would be above board and nothing would be said about it. It all amounts to the same amount of fish being taken from the sea though. So is the quota system about preserving fish stocks, or is it about a few people making a lot of money? Or maybe it's being used as a bargaining tool?

One thing is for sure. It has been proved that it isn't working and so should therefore be scrapped and replaced with something more effective.

Now your getting there Steve, Its not so much about people makeing money,although some do, its more about the amount of cival servants needed to implament them, the mass of paper work involved,the proccesing of log books, the travling circus that go to Brussels every year,it takes hundreds of cival servants to run the quota system.Thats why I think they are slow to replace quotas with something simpler and more effective.

I fish to live and live to fish.

@SPRING@:

I hope your not having a laugh at my expense John. Im gonna report you to the clique manager.

That'll be me then :D

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.