Fishing News (Again)

Leon Roskilly

Guest jay_con

Jaffa, A friend of mine who often reads the topics here (one of many across the country)forwarded this Link to me. Ive read it and have my take on why they sent me it.

Do you think the timing of it's arrival has anything to do with our discusiion about "FAT CAT'S".???

http://www.parliament.the-stationery-offic...122/4111606.htm

It would appear the proposed introduction of tracability, and electronic records has gone down like a lead balloon on your side of the border. I would like to here Thurso anglers views on this point, but as he says I speak crap I doubt he will reply.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alex West certainly appears to be a "fatcat" but I don't know him. Alex West is just Alex West. A fishermen that has the job of speaking for other fishermen. Still seems to be reflecting the views of his members in what he says though. BTW Have you thought much about the implications of Banks owning your cod stock before @spring@?

Hamish Morrison a fat cat!!? Nah....... :D:D

I would love to know what percentage of the Scottish fleet are still skipper/crew owned. It used to be very high: Wonder if that is still the case, or if all the intervention like quotas etc, has turned it into something else. Anyone know? not that I'd imagine there's any way to find out.

Before you go into your attack on the obvious connection between resistance to electronic tagging and black fish, lets hear the other side. Should be easy, what with the blanket coverage from their well oiled media machine

Ever read "Living the fishing" ; a collection of 150 life story interviews with fishermen (some nice Whitby content)? If not and your library doesn't have it PM your address and I'll send it.

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

jaffa the idea of a 12mile limit round shetland is a very good idea, as mr meade said years of incentertive practices have led to point that nature reserve at sea would be a good thing,sounds like the grounds have been hammered ,if had to mention a 12mile limit here a3rd world war would break out conservation is a dirty word most dont know the meaning ,but a 12mile limit is just what we need here these grounds down here were probabley the richest grounds on the east coast we have a hell of a lot of natural reefs ideal for cod but if you see the state of the stock now its very sad its been allowed to be butchered but tottally over fished by english and scotch boats anybody who keeps saying the stocks are ok are bloody idiots and that is putting it mildly, jaffa copious was sold to a whitby skipper and is now fishing out of whitby a nice vessel but when you look at the size of this vessel you can see why the fishing is in the way it is, a grand boat like that towing 3mile off oh dear bigger and more powerfull boats chasing less and less fish, but dont worry there is tons of fish ive just read the fishing news i new i was dreaming.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

"A group of fish merchants from the North East of Scotland is to launch a legal action against the Scottish Executive for what they describe as their “inability or unwillingness” to stop illegal landings of so-called “black fish” throughout the country.

The group, which also comprises a haulier and a former fishermen, has been formed to combat the amount of black fish flooding the market – a move which has, they say, accounted for tens of thousands of job losses and, for some of their members, brought financial and domestic hardship."

Full story: http://www.sundayherald.com/49324

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

"65 million fishing trips, with a turnover of $30 billion and over $22 billion in related expenditures."

Now that is some expensive fishing! No wonder they think we are willing and able to pay £22 for a license.

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Guest jay_con

Leon ???? That really is the opposiste to what I would have thought. In fact im shocked. I always thought fish merchants would have been happy with black fish. I would have thought they could have bought cheep and sold high therefore giving more profit??. Where can I find out more about these guy's?.

Jaffa why such a resistance to electronic tagging then??? What legitamate reasons are there??? Reading between the lines , Ms Atherton doesnt sound too convinced?. What is the propaganda machine's offering on this subject????

Just one more question to you all whilst im here. There have been a few court cases of late relating to black fish. Several prosecutions have been acieved and I beleive more are to follow. Does anybody know If these people go on to get Bills from the Inland revenue and harbour authorities for unpaid taxes and dues on the fish that never was?. If I lived in one of these areas and thought

That the councils income had been effected I would be very displeased.

Guest jay_con

big_cod:

its been allowed to be butchered but tottally over fished by  english and scotch boats anybody who keeps saying the  stocks are ok are bloody idiots and that is putting it mildly,

Big cod - Please dont shoot the messenger as I beleive this is the work of that propaganda machine. These are quotes from fishermen about the fishing in your area:

"The main species are enjoying a (scientifically recorded) recovery"

"Haddock stocks are at a thirty year high for the second year running"

"Whiting quota is increased by a staggering 75% for 2005"

"Nethrop quota is increased by 13% for 2005"

"monkfish quota up 48%" --- They like this one as they know the scientists screwed up. Its amazing how many times they have used this one as evidence of how useless science is. Ive read it in hundreds of articles and documents including mention of it in the one above.

"Cod stocks are slowly improving DESPITE climatic change pushing the species further north to breed in colder waters"

Big cod according to these guys the fishing on our grounds should be bloody amazing. Are these, Mildly speaking, The bloody idiots you are talking about by any chance???.

--------------------------------------------------

Has anybody here ever heared of the NFFO??? if so could you tell me what it's role is please?

Guest jay_con

Oh and one last quote that really made me chuckle:

"The Uk is the only member state which has come anywhere near the 65% reduction in cod mortality and the only one taking this seriously".

With estiamtes in some articles of 80% of scottish trawlermen breaking the law everytime they go to sea I wonder what exactly is meant by serious? Answers please on a stamped addressed postcard.

@SPRING@:

Leon ???? That really is the opposiste to what I would have thought. In fact im shocked. I always thought fish merchants would have been happy with black fish. I would have thought they could have bought cheep and sold high therefore giving more profit??. Where can I find out more about these guy's?.

It's the same story @Spring@.

When you have rules and everyone keeps to the rules, they are all playing on a level playing field, and the resource can be maintained at a healthy level.

But when some people start breaking the rules, and mostly get away with it, they have an advantage over honest folk.

And when things start to get difficult, perhaps as a result of too many people breaking the rules, it's the guys who are trying to be honest who go to the wall first.

Then a lot of people who would prefer not to have to break the rules, find that the only way they can compete is by joining the rule breakers.

Pretty soon everyone still engaged is breaking all of the rules, good and bad, because 'everyone else does it' and it seems to be the only way to stay in business.

And soon those of an honest nature have been forced out of the system which has then become totally corrupt.

The survivors are the liars and cheats, taking out what doesn't belong to them, and selling it cheap. Taking the fish of people who are trying to make an honest living and taking their market by selling those fish cheap. Screwing the data so that the quota is set higher, and preventing honest fishermen from legally catching as much as they should be allowed to, and screwing the data on which scientific advice depends, so no one takes the advice seriously.

And where the rules that are being broken have been introduced to preserve the common resource, and no one is doing much/is able to do much about enforcing them, then pretty soon nearly all of the resource is gone, and thousands of livelihoods are gone forever.

Tight Lines - leon

[ 24. April 2005, 11:48 AM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Guest jay_con

Makes sense really that those playing by the rules would get cheesed off.

Strange how people arent getting cheesed off right around the country. As big cod has already siad in this forum before, some of the smaller guy's around here have wrapped in, they just cant make it pay. Yet all with have a winge on the quiet about black fish and the bigger players in the game.