Great New Lakes Discovered - Weymouth

Portland Jon

I have found a wonderful new lake in Weymouth and fished it today. We were on our way to Dorchester to another newly discovered farm pond when Rich in Weymouth Angling Centre suggested this place so we swapped venue and had a great day. The owner dug a lake for duck shooting in the 80's and introduces four carp and a hand full of rudd. Since then the place has not been touched until last year when the lake was enlarged and a new lake dug next to the first.

It seems that the carp have bred and grown as now the place is stuffed with them and there are reports of twenties being caught. Now when I said that the carp have bred I meant that the lake is seriously stuffed with them. The owner showed me round and we threw in some slices of bread and it was like feeding time at a trout farm. There are literally thousands of carp and they are not fry either, we had a fish a cast on luncheon meat and they were all 1-2 pounders. You could easily bag up here with a hundred pounds in an afternoon.

As for other species, there are loads of roach and rudd in the sub pound bracket, probably biggies too but didn't see any. The margins and islands are the places to fish and the fish are not shy.

The owner is not allowed to advertise due to lack of planning permission but he was happy for me to tell all. He says he is not interested in the serious carp fishermen as he wants it to be a safe and happy place for families to fish without the serious carpers who camp out for days on end. There are two nice little caravan sites within walking distance and I suggest a forum meet there sometime.

I have inserted a map below, I had to make it large scale in order to show enough detail to find it. Click here for Multimap.com showing where it is then you can find it on the map below.

It costs £5 a day or £30 per year to fish and I will deffo be paying my £30 next visit. If anyone wants to go fishing there I am always up for a trip so give me a shout.

Jon

coldharbour_map.jpg

Sea fishing is like golf, you don't have to eat the ball to have fun.

www.portlandbill.co.uk/fishing - Portland's Best Fishing Site

Here are some pictures for you. The wind got up by the time I took the pics so it doesn't look too nice but believe me it is a top find.

Jon

Top Lake

top_lake1med.jpg

top_lake2med.jpg

top_lake3med.jpg

Bottom Lake (No Fishing - New Lake and not stocked)

bottom_lake1med.jpg

Sea fishing is like golf, you don't have to eat the ball to have fun.

www.portlandbill.co.uk/fishing - Portland's Best Fishing Site

Sorry Jon, I love carp fishing, but that looks and sounds to be the worst kind of "puddle"

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

No, its not a "puddle" Den, there are no pallet swims, scaffold poles, or dugouts. :)

In fact, I'm not sure, but that does look like nice grassy banks with undergrowth. :thumbs:

Unfortunately, it will change, so enjoy it while you can Portland Jon.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

I am sure he said it was stuffed with thousands of carp?

Isn't that the definition of a puddle?

Wingham has plenty of platforms.....................

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Den, my comment was made "tongue in cheek", it was nice to see some wild looking , unspoiled banks, but the "thousands of carp" would put me off, but some like it like that.

Steve knows I don't like the platforms at Wingham. :)

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

But NO DUCKIES?? What has he shot ALL of them? :D

Sorry, just replying as I have made JUST such a discovery myself about a fortnight ago! Farmer likes duck shooting so digs own lake, likes fish as well so stocks with around 200 fish from 10 to 20KG!!!! And roach and rudd and a couple of tench. He the for a reason best known to himself stuck in 2 pike? BUT there is from what I can ascertain NO food in the ruddy water!! So there are LOTS of fish certainly, BUT they have NO idea what a boilie or pellet looks like!! So I had to resort to catching 6Lb carp on the PUNCH!!!! BY GUM!! That IS fishing!!

Good luck with it Jon!! Looks like a little GOLDMINE till someone else finds it. THEN the fun will start I reckon.

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

If the farmer didn't have permission to dig the second lake, he will not only have potential trouble from the council, the Environment Agency will undoubtedly find out about it and be on his case too.

I would suggest he needs to get the place legalised...

The Mahseer Trust, working for one of the world's iconic fish and the rivers they live in

www.mahseertrust.org

Fishery info for the Westcountry:
www.coarsefish-torbay.co.uk

Want to learn from Will Raison and Neil Machin?
check out
www.v2vangling.co.uk

'The owner is not allowed to advertise due to lack of planning permission but he was happy for me to tell all.'

Let's hope no-one from his local planning department reads this then! Presumably all day and season tickets can only be bought with used fivers too? :rolleyes: I wonder where the fish came from in the first place.

I'd have to agree with Den's assessment of it.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Cheers for the heads-up Jon.

Gonna give it a try tomorrow afternoon, weather permitting.

Bit of a trek from Poole to get soaked!

Rob