Line b/s

kas

Another stupid question.

On say 4lb bs mono line, what weight fish could you land without any problems (will it take a 10lb fish no problem).

As per my first post yesterday I need to use a low bs line but do not want to limit myself to small fish only, you never know what may come along!

kas

Hi Kas,

This article may help somewhat. :thumbs:

http://www.fishingmagic.com/news/printable...&noimages=1

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

kas,

my understanding is as follows, it all depends on how balanced your tackle is, personally i have landed a 12lb carp on a 4lb mainline whilst pole fishing and a 9 pounder whilst waggler fishing and that was with 4lb main line and a 2 1/2lb hooklength using a soft action match rod. i suppose it also has to do with personal reference of the type of line.

It depends on how many snags you are fishing near, if you are in clear water then you can land big carp using light tackle, but if you are near snags ( lillies and tree roots ) then you'll need to be able to turn the fish early on in the fight.

I've landed 5-6lb tench on 4lb mainline with a 2.4lb hook length which was hooked right next to a lilly pad, luckly I got it under control and pulled it towards the lillies which made it shoot in the opposite direction. It all depends on what sort of fight you will be expecting from the fish.

Errrm

In my personal experinces it depends on the lake your fishing and the fish. I fish the pole by the way . If the pool is shallow 1-4 foot then the fish want plod around up and down, it will fly off alot of the time snapping you. Ive had 2lb carp snap 6lb line at docklow pools as thy have no were to go but off. Also it depends on the features, if your fishing near liilies, reeds or a tree then a fish will of cource make a be line towards them snapping you.

My 2nd biggest carp was 12lb and was caught on 4lb line on the pole and i manged to get this in as it ploded up and down in a circle as the pool was around 7 foot deep. My biggest carp was 13lb and i only manged to get in was because i had a rod as i hooked it in 2 fot of water so it flew off, i had that on 3 lb line.

My grandad manged to catch a 15lb carp on th pole on 6 elastic and 2lb line only because the fish never ran it just plodded aound. But he did have to walk the bank for an hour and a half to tire it.

84854438.png