record z broken by.......

zedhead

well folks, the record has been smashed by 2lbs, which is great. Unfortionately, it was caught by a 19yr old youth who was fishing for BREAM with a method feeder and HALIBUT pellet!!! I was totally blown away with this news, I did predict a record zander would crop up soon, I didnt however think it would be this soon and to that method or bait.

The severn is a good candidate, However, it is a real shame that a certain high profile pike angler has pointed out the probable location....well done nige, now the circus will be out in force in the area.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well folks, the record has been smashed by 2lbs, which is great. Unfortionately, it was caught by a 19yr old youth who was fishing for BREAM with a method feeder and HALIBUT pellet!!! I was totally blown away with this news, I did predict a record zander would crop up soon, I didnt however think it would be this soon and to that method or bait.

The severn is a good candidate, However, it is a real shame that a certain high profile pike angler has pointed out the probable location....well done nige, now the circus will be out in force in the area.

I've just seen the pic in AT....amazing looking fish !!!

pete,

I was drawing attention to the unlikely nature of the capture rather than pulling it down, but since you mention it, how much merit does an unitended record fish capture warrant? I suspect people will remember it as the zander caught on a pellet as opposed to the record zander caught by dave lavender or neville fickling previous to that - i.e. by design.

It is certainly an astonishing turn up for the books either way.

That's quite incredible! I can't congratulate the captor though, if he was piking or perch fishing then sure, but a method feeder and halibut pellet...! I have mates who put a lot of time and effort into fishing the fens for zander. It would have been nice if a dedicated Z-man had caught it. (But, like I've said before, they probably have and haven't mentioned it :secret: )

If it's true that our old mate Nige has speculated on the water then that water (whether he's right or not) will definitely get a hammering. Great.

It's good to know there are still some mysterious monsters lurking. It begs the question though, one day will we be able to fish for every fish with the same bait and set-up? Nearly all UK freshwater fish can be caught on a pellet, and I thought toothy predators were the last refuge.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Well I reckon it's a very meritous capture. If not, then is the following true?:

A large unknown Catfish, caught by a Carp Angler deserves no merit?

A large Perch, caught while Chub/Pike/Zander fishing, deserves no merit?

A large Eel, caught while Chub/Pike/Zander fishing, deserves no merit?

a friend of mine took a 30lb + carp on a sprat deadbait a couple of years ago, I thought he did well.

Surely, a record true Rudd, caught on a fly or bait put out for Roach, would deserve merit?

Any large fish caught on light tackle deserves merit, whether you knew it was in the water or not.

Genuine Specimen Hunters set out to find new specimens in waters where there aren't neccessarily previous captures. They often move off, once they've had a decent fish or two, to find new challenges. There's no merit in moving onto a water, just to target a known fish.

When I hear of a large Carp coming out locally, I think about the other big fish which could be there. Likewise, if a big Tench comes out, I wonder if there may be one or two neglected Carp in a water.

As far as Mr Williams goes, then I'm not surprised. I think he's a plonker (though I've not personally met him, if I ever do, I'll be able to confirm or not).

Edited by Dunk Fairley

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

One of the great things about angling is that a complete beginner could catch a record on his/her first trip. How many other sports does this apply to? Sure a beginner at golf could get a hole in one, but would be most unlikely to break the course record.

This means that a record fish is just the biggest fish of a given species reported on rod and line. It certainly isn't any indication of the ability of the captor.

However, in this particular case the angler deserves congratulations for landing such a big fish on, presumably, light tackle. But it certainly doesn't prove he's a good zander angler.

Having said all this, I do agree that it would be great if the best anglers held the records as in other sports.

But then none of us would stand a chance, would we?

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Dunk, I think you're playing a little game of devil's advocate!

A large unknown Catfish, caught by a Carp Angler deserves no merit?

Catfish eat pretty much anything, even though they're mainly predators if left alone. Merit in this capture, because carp and catfish baits and tactics are virtually identical and if you're fishing a lake with both in, you can't fish for one without the other.

A large Perch, caught while Chub/Pike/Zander fishing, deserves no merit?

Perch, chub, pike and zander can be caught accidentally as, again, they eat the same food. If I caught a large perch on a small livebait meant for zander or a lob meant for chub, I'd be chuffed to bits. However, if I hoiked it out on heavy pike gear I'd feel very little pride.

A large Eel, caught while Chub/Pike/Zander fishing, deserves no merit?

Any large eel deserves merit! Again, you can't fish for the other species in a water with eels and expect not to catch them.

a friend of mine took a 30lb + carp on a sprat deadbait a couple of years ago, I thought he did well.

Me too. How would he have felt if it was a british record though?

Surely, a record true Rudd, caught on a fly or bait put out for Roach, would deserve merit?

Of course - how can you fish for roach and not rudd?

The difference here is that this fish was caught on a bait which (in theory) specifically preclude captures of predators (catfish excepted). If you fish a bait like a worm, you can expect to catch anything, and if you catch an unexpected species and you land it against the odds, fantastic. That unknown element is part of what makes fishing exciting, and why I don't get fixated on any one species. I'm not saying it's black and white and only the species you're targetting 'counts', but you must admit that this is a fluke beyond all known flukes! If I'd caught it like this I'd be very confused and I'd have to have a little lie down :D

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I just had a text from a zander fishing mate which ends '...and all this time I've been using dead fish, aawwh s**t' :D

New from hinders as of tomorrow, roach pellets!