Barbel or mullet

Jim Murray

Guest tigger
Tigger

It mainly applies to sea fish (but it happens in freshwater to), you know when the fish just stays deep and its just pump and wind, pump and wind; landing it almost becomes a chore.

Where the Pike you hooked on the bottom or in mid-water? as that must make a difference to the nature of the fight?

I think you mean when they're hugging or trying to hugg the bottom ?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you mean when they're hugging or trying to hugg the bottom ?

Not just that, it's also when the fish hold position deep in the water and you have to move them, big Brown Trout seem to be adept at it, for example.

Tony

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

I am not proposing that one is better than the other only, more memorable, which may be the point I crudely struggled to make to Jim (Sorry Jim).

No bother Tony. Never had any tropical species so far but a bonefish trip does sound special. A pal is going to Venezuela in the Autumn for them.

Mullet and barbel....I'm treading in deep water here( :o ) but do you think *some* of the mullets' reputation could be down to sea anglers going out and catching them on coarse tackle when they have little experience of using such light gear, i.e, they've got nothing to compare it to? I'm guessing that a lot of the UK sea species *when caught on heavy gear* will not do much in the way of long runs, etc. Obviously excluding bass, tope etc. thinking more of cod, mackerel, etc.

Having said that I do read accounts by experienced coarse anglers of epic mullet battles mainly with South coast and CI fish. Not having fished there all I can say is now, having caught good numbers of them from more Northern shores, only one fish has given me a long arm-aching battle. Just about all the others go into the net first time(then bounce around on the bank). Most then power away on returning; plenty in reserve. Still love the species though.

Barbel OTOH I found lived up to their reputation and then some. Only when near weed do they simply run into it and don't get a chance to show what they can do. At all other times have never experienced anything less than stunning power even from small ones and for me every one when landed lies absolutely still, having given it all in the water. Nurse them carefully.

Jim.

Jim

My Cuban Guides insist that Mullet are uncatchable by normal Angling methods; but the ones they foul hook, (I did not go into that), supposedly were stronger than Bonefish Tarpon or Permit!!!!!!! That must be going some; the problem is the Mullet are there in December and I am not.

I don't know if it is the temperature that is the defining factor in this; as most of my decent Barbel have been of the Iberian strain and I have not noticed any great difference in the way they fight in warmer waters to the way ours fight. here in the cold old UK

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Just about all the others go into the net first time(then bounce around on the bank).

When a mullet is first hooked, it seems disorientated and not sure what to do next.

If you are quick, it can be netted with little fuss.

But then the fish 'wakes up' and thrashes around out of the water, losing scales and in danger of doing itself damage.

(Mullet have loose scales (one of their defence mechanisms) so that when grabbed by a predator it can escape leaving the seal etc with just a mouthful of loose scales for it's troubles)

I prefer not to net a fish until it is properly played out.

Not only do you then have the enjoyment of a challenging fight, but when the fish is netted, it is generally well-behaved whilst being unhooked and carried back to the water for release. (I hold the fish by the wrist in the tail, head into current until it is able to swim away strongly).

Once the intial confused period is over, and the fish finally realises that something is very wrong, it starts to pull, then pull harder, and if that don't work it really wakes up and shows what it's capable of.

Like no other fish, instead of steadily weakening, it just seems to fight harder and gains strength.

Even when it feels ready for the net (getting it's head out of the water is not a sign that it's been beaten yet, as with most fish), it usually has a few more surprises to give.

Jim, try giving the fish a little longer before netting it, and see if they do indeed wake up for you.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Budgie

Don't you find that as playing a deep sounding fish is more of a slugging match, you tend to remember the spectacular runs and jumps of a fish caught in skinny water.

I am not proposing that one is better than the other only, more memorable, which may be the point I crudely struggled to make to Jim (Sorry Jim).

Tony

Yes I should think thats right Tony.

I've had quite a few Pike giving a good account for themselves in deep water and have often had a lot of tail walking. They where able to go high or low in the water making a good fight. They weren't slugging fights at all.

Same as Tigger.Im not saying the fight is any better/anyworse its just that its different.as I said Ive yet to catch a fish that can sound in a foot of water!

Mullet and barbel....I'm treading in deep water here( :o ) but do you think *some* of the mullets' reputation could be down to sea anglers going out and catching them on coarse tackle when they have little experience of using such light gear, i.e, they've got nothing to compare it to? I'm guessing that a lot of the UK sea species *when caught on heavy gear* will not do much in the way of long runs, etc. Obviously excluding bass, tope etc. thinking more of cod, mackerel, etc.

Jim.

A fair comment Jim but not really relevant to the origonal question as it was asked for opinions from those who had caught both barbel and mullet.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

When a mullet is first hooked, it seems disorientated and not sure what to do next.

If you are quick, it can be netted with little fuss.

But then the fish 'wakes up' and thrashes around out of the water, losing scales and in danger of doing itself damage.

Totally agree with that.

Once the intial confused period is over, and the fish finally realises that something is very wrong, it starts to pull, then pull harder, and if that don't work it really wakes up and shows what it's capable of.

Like no other fish, instead of steadily weakening, it just seems to fight harder and gains strength.

Even when it feels ready for the net (getting it's head out of the water is not a sign that it's been beaten yet, as with most fish), it usually has a few more surprises to give.

Completely at odds with my experience Leon. The first few mullet I ever hooked came off (due to hard mouths I think) so now when I hook one I really bang the hook home and give some pressure in the first few seconds. They rarely come off now :clap2:

Then they generally do as you say thrash around for a bit. I normally wait for a run which may or may not happen. If it happens it's usually a single run, quite short fast and powerful. Then it's just a case of playing them in as you would a chub or tench. Definitely not bullying them in, although this is possible if you want. As they near the net they tend to just wallow around in the margins a rod length out. The fish still has strength and this is the point you would expect the fireworks to start. For me it never has. After waiting for a minute or so there is no option but to net them.

The only other thing I could do is slacken off after hooking or actually giving out line, neither of which sounds like a great idea.

Biggest of 9 fish so far this year was 5.9 which took 7 minutes and was the longest of the 9 but did not take any line. Had a few of 4-5 minutes; surely this is sufficient time for them to "wake up"?

The one fish I had a few years ago which really fought felt powerful from the off and just grew all through the 50 minutes I had it on, just as you describe. Amazing long runs and I'd be pleased if they all fought even half as hard.

I'm still confused by it. I've caught mullet...I've seen others catch mullet. Over 100 fish. Except for one occasion every one has been netted within 10 minutes. Most in a far shorter time. Yet the Southern fish seem to battle for 2-3 times that figure.

Jim.

....grew all through the 50 minutes I had it on....

50 minutes?!!

I hope I don't hook one of those. Where I fish I'd get cut off by the tide and drowned :rolleyes:

Barbel make your arms ache but it's not really very exciting, unless there are snags you know you'll get there in the end, you can even eat a butty while you are waiting for them to get bored. Some mullet on the other hand go off at such a speed that there is always the chance something will go wrong. Although to be honest, the ones I've lost have usually been the small ones that get dragged to the surface and jump out, head shaking.

I've never caught one but I imagine tuna take some beating, mackerel on very light tackle can certainly shift and having no swim bladder they can fight in three dimensions, if their big cousins do the same it must be great fun.

Guest Rabbit
50 minutes?!!

I hope I don't hook one of those. Where I fish I'd get cut off by the tide and drowned :rolleyes:

Barbel make your arms ache but it's not really very exciting, unless there are snags you know you'll get there in the end, you can even eat a butty while you are waiting for them to get bored. Some mullet on the other hand go off at such a speed that there is always the chance something will go wrong. Although to be honest, the ones I've lost have usually been the small ones that get dragged to the surface and jump out, head shaking.

I've never caught one but I imagine tuna take some beating, mackerel on very light tackle can certainly shift and having no swim bladder they can fight in three dimensions, if their big cousins do the same it must be great fun.

Boring fight barbel!!!! Unless you catch your barbel from a stillwater I dont understand that comment, have you ever hooked a Teme barbel? I think if the answer is no you need to head towards Worcester asap. Can you tell me of another 7lb fish that can break 10lb mono? They do, just how I don't know, no other fish size for size that I have caught can do that.

They are truly the heavy weights, but have speed as well as power. What more proof do you need, apart from catching one for yourself...if your good enough of course :thumbs:

Edited by Rabbit

Rabbit

"Can you tell me of another 7lb fish that can break 10lb mono?" In the UK I can think of Sea Trout and Grilse (Salmon) who can and do do that; also big overwintered Rainbows have been known to smash even this BS mono before.

Tony